"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Master Chef

Doesn't that pie maker thingy need an actual crust of some kind? If so, it will need a more dense crust to form it up the sides than in this recipe. Good luck..sounds like fun.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh--DL, it is CHOPPER who is going to be in the run for the money! Sorry! I confused the two of you. But you could do it in a muffin tin...PF is off work on Mondays...she might not have time, but there might be a purple mothership hovering over her kitchen...unfair!

Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have some ground pork I need to use up soon. So I think I'll give this a try with ground pork instead of beef and homemade taco spice mix. I "might" put the crust on top (and I can see a mini-pie recipe in the making)!
We're actually having Mexican style pulled pork on Sunday for a large group of people. I was just thinking that any leftovers might go well in Kayelle's dish.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Oh--DL, it is CHOPPER who is going to be in the run for the money! Sorry! I confused the two of you. But you could do it in a muffin tin...PF is off work on Mondays...she might not have time, but there might be a purple mothership hovering over her kitchen...unfair!
S'okay, CWS, you've got to be exhausted with all your produce! I don't know how you do it.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I was quite successful with a polenta crust. I think using Kayelle's recipe, I would put the batter in the piemaker and cook on it's own until it was a bit crispy on the bottom, use the pusher to push down the middle, top with the filling and a glob of batter on top.

And! Kayelle, it sounds really good. C&P
Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Watch out gals, this Ma has a mini pie maker too. Will be making pulled pork for Sunday with Ma and Kayelle's recipe looks wonderful and is going to be in the running. Thanks Kayelle. yummy nummyies.
kades
Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
This was requested at the dinner thread. It's as good now as it was a generation ago.

1 cup yellow corn meal
1 1/2 cups cold milk
1 egg, beaten

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 of a green bell pepper, chopped
1 envelope taco or chili seasoning
1 16oz. can of chopped tomatoes
1 16oz can of whole kernel corn, drained
1 2.25 oz. can sliced ripe olives
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

In a bowl, mix the corn meal, milk and egg. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
The mixture will be very thin. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion and bell pepper till the meat has lost it's color and the veggies are slightly tender. Drain the mixture into a colander. Return the mixture to the skillet and add the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese. Mix well, and spoon the mixture carefully over the cornmeal batter. Top with the cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Kay you epitomise the reason why I came here, good honest home cooking. Thanks for the recipe.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing

Quote:
This was requested at the dinner thread. It's as good now as it was a generation ago.

1 cup yellow corn meal
1 1/2 cups cold milk
1 egg, beaten

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 of a green bell pepper, chopped
1 envelope taco or chili seasoning
1 16oz. can of chopped tomatoes
1 16oz can of whole kernel corn, drained
1 2.25 oz. can sliced ripe olives
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

In a bowl, mix the corn meal, milk and egg. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
The mixture will be very thin. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion and bell pepper till the meat has lost it's color and the veggies are slightly tender. Drain the mixture into a colander. Return the mixture to the skillet and add the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese. Mix well, and spoon the mixture carefully over the cornmeal batter. Top with the cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
I'm such an ignorant that I had to go to Google images to understand what a tamale pie is! Ant it looks gorgeous

I'll need to find some substitute for cheddar and taco/chili seasoning, but it can be done. And it will be done

Thanks Kayelle
Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Taco Seasoning

2 Tbsp chili powder or sub a med-mod dried hot pepper of choice
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp cumin
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper

Mix all together. This is meant to flavor not burn your ears off.

Tags
pie, recipe

Kayelle's Old School Tamale Pie This was requested at the dinner thread. It's as good now as it was a generation ago. :yum: 1 cup yellow corn meal 1 1/2 cups cold milk 1 egg, beaten 1 lb. ground beef 1 small onion, chopped 1/2 of a green bell pepper, chopped 1 envelope taco or chili seasoning 1 16oz. can of chopped tomatoes 1 16oz can of whole kernel corn, drained 1 2.25 oz. can sliced ripe olives 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded In a bowl, mix the corn meal, milk and egg. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. The mixture will be very thin. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion and bell pepper till the meat has lost it's color and the veggies are slightly tender. Drain the mixture into a colander. Return the mixture to the skillet and add the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese. Mix well, and spoon the mixture carefully over the cornmeal batter. Top with the cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. 3 stars 1 reviews