"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Master Chef

Kayelle's Old School Tamale Pie

This was requested at the dinner thread. It's as good now as it was a generation ago.

1 cup yellow corn meal
1 1/2 cups cold milk
1 egg, beaten

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 of a green bell pepper, chopped
1 envelope taco or chili seasoning
1 16oz. can of chopped tomatoes
1 16oz can of whole kernel corn, drained
1 2.25 oz. can sliced ripe olives
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

In a bowl, mix the corn meal, milk and egg. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
The mixture will be very thin. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion and bell pepper till the meat has lost it's color and the veggies are slightly tender. Drain the mixture into a colander. Return the mixture to the skillet and add the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese. Mix well, and spoon the mixture carefully over the cornmeal batter. Top with the cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Kayelle. It is different from the one I used to make (which didn't have crust on the bottom--just the top). Sounds good. And, if you make it, it must be good!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Master Chef

Aww, thanks for the compliment CWS. I don't care for the kind of Tamale Pie with a big thick "cornbread" kind of crust. This bottom cornmeal crust is thin, and kind of oozes up between the spoonfuls of filling. I hope you like it.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I have some ground pork I need to use up soon. So I think I'll give this a try with ground pork instead of beef and homemade taco spice mix. I "might" put the crust on top (and I can see a mini-pie recipe in the making)!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Master Chef

I think it would be good with ground pork, or even ground chicken or turkey. Your own home grown veggies will be wonderful!! Let me know how the crust on top works.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Ooh, this sounds so good, Kayelle! C&P!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I think it would be good with ground pork, or even ground chicken or turkey. Your own home grown veggies will be wonderful!! Let me know how the crust on top works.
Obviously, the only "canned" ingredient will be the olives. I might even throw some ground zucchini in! I can tell I'm racing PF and Dawglover to the Breville pie maker...but don't rule out WhiskeyDoodle--might be the dark horse in this race.

Note to self: Resolve battery issue with digital camera before making this.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Obviously, the only "canned" ingredient will be the olives. I might even throw some ground zucchini in! I can tell I'm racing PF and Dawglover to the Breville pie maker...but don't rule out WhiskeyDoodle--might be the dark horse in this race.

Note to self: Resolve battery issue with digital camera before making this.
(psstt, CWS, I don't have a Breville pie maker.....)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Kayelle and CWS !! LOL, I just C/P a different recipe from some unsuspecting blogger this am, to attempt making in my new Breville mini pie maker too. I thought this might work in this apparatus. K-- thanks for posting your recipe. It may be "old-school", but I have not made nor eaten this in very many years. It was indeed good back then, and it ought to be as good now, and even better. I'm still trying to not use the oven, even though this last week or so, house temps have been nearly livable. Plus, I like my new toy, so am looking for ways to use it. I copied and over-wrote with your recipe. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Kayelle and CWS !! LOL, I just C/P a different recipe from some unsuspecting blogger this am, to attempt making in my new Breville mini pie maker too. I thought this might work in this apparatus. K-- thanks for posting your recipe. It may be "old-school", but I have not made nor eaten this in very many years. It was indeed good back then, and it ought to be as good now, and even better. I'm still trying to not use the oven, even though this last week or so, house temps have been nearly livable. Plus, I like my new toy, so am looking for ways to use it. I copied and over-wrote with your recipe. Thanks.
Ladies--on your mark--get set---GO!

Sorry I butchered your handle Whiskadoodle--I got most of it right.

Tags
pie, recipe

Kayelle's Old School Tamale Pie This was requested at the dinner thread. It's as good now as it was a generation ago. :yum: 1 cup yellow corn meal 1 1/2 cups cold milk 1 egg, beaten 1 lb. ground beef 1 small onion, chopped 1/2 of a green bell pepper, chopped 1 envelope taco or chili seasoning 1 16oz. can of chopped tomatoes 1 16oz can of whole kernel corn, drained 1 2.25 oz. can sliced ripe olives 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded In a bowl, mix the corn meal, milk and egg. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. The mixture will be very thin. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion and bell pepper till the meat has lost it's color and the veggies are slightly tender. Drain the mixture into a colander. Return the mixture to the skillet and add the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese. Mix well, and spoon the mixture carefully over the cornmeal batter. Top with the cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. 3 stars 1 reviews