Kayelle's Old School Tamale Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
This was requested at the dinner thread. It's as good now as it was a generation ago. :yum:

1 cup yellow corn meal
1 1/2 cups cold milk
1 egg, beaten

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 of a green bell pepper, chopped
1 envelope taco or chili seasoning
1 16oz. can of chopped tomatoes
1 16oz can of whole kernel corn, drained
1 2.25 oz. can sliced ripe olives
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

In a bowl, mix the corn meal, milk and egg. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
The mixture will be very thin. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion and bell pepper till the meat has lost it's color and the veggies are slightly tender. Drain the mixture into a colander. Return the mixture to the skillet and add the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese. Mix well, and spoon the mixture carefully over the cornmeal batter. Top with the cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Thanks, Kayelle. It is different from the one I used to make (which didn't have crust on the bottom--just the top). Sounds good. And, if you make it, it must be good!

Aww, thanks for the compliment CWS. I don't care for the kind of Tamale Pie with a big thick "cornbread" kind of crust. This bottom cornmeal crust is thin, and kind of oozes up between the spoonfuls of filling. I hope you like it.;)

I have some ground pork I need to use up soon. So I think I'll give this a try with ground pork instead of beef and homemade taco spice mix. I "might" put the crust on top (and I can see a mini-pie recipe in the making)!

I think it would be good with ground pork, or even ground chicken or turkey. Your own home grown veggies will be wonderful!! Let me know how the crust on top works.

I think it would be good with ground pork, or even ground chicken or turkey. Your own home grown veggies will be wonderful!! Let me know how the crust on top works.
Obviously, the only "canned" ingredient will be the olives. I might even throw some ground zucchini in! I can tell I'm racing PF and Dawglover to the Breville pie maker...but don't rule out WhiskeyDoodle--might be the dark horse in this race.

Note to self: Resolve battery issue with digital camera before making this.

Last edited:
CWS4322 said:
Obviously, the only "canned" ingredient will be the olives. I might even throw some ground zucchini in! I can tell I'm racing PF and Dawglover to the Breville pie maker...but don't rule out WhiskeyDoodle--might be the dark horse in this race.

Note to self: Resolve battery issue with digital camera before making this.

(psstt, CWS, I don't have a Breville pie maker.....)

Last edited:
Kayelle and CWS !! LOL, I just C/P a different recipe from some unsuspecting blogger this am, to attempt making in my new Breville mini pie maker too. I thought this might work in this apparatus. K-- thanks for posting your recipe. It may be "old-school", but I have not made nor eaten this in very many years. It was indeed good back then, and it ought to be as good now, and even better. I'm still trying to not use the oven, even though this last week or so, house temps have been nearly livable. Plus, I like my new toy, so am looking for ways to use it. I copied and over-wrote with your recipe. Thanks.

Kayelle and CWS !! LOL, I just C/P a different recipe from some unsuspecting blogger this am, to attempt making in my new Breville mini pie maker too. I thought this might work in this apparatus. K-- thanks for posting your recipe. It may be "old-school", but I have not made nor eaten this in very many years. It was indeed good back then, and it ought to be as good now, and even better. I'm still trying to not use the oven, even though this last week or so, house temps have been nearly livable. Plus, I like my new toy, so am looking for ways to use it. I copied and over-wrote with your recipe. Thanks.

Ladies--on your mark--get set---GO!

Sorry I butchered your handle Whiskadoodle--I got most of it right.:LOL:

Doesn't that pie maker thingy need an actual crust of some kind? If so, it will need a more dense crust to form it up the sides than in this recipe. Good luck..sounds like fun.

Oh--DL, it is CHOPPER who is going to be in the run for the money! Sorry! I confused the two of you. But you could do it in a muffin tin...PF is off work on Mondays...she might not have time, but there might be a purple mothership hovering over her kitchen...unfair!

I have some ground pork I need to use up soon. So I think I'll give this a try with ground pork instead of beef and homemade taco spice mix. I "might" put the crust on top (and I can see a mini-pie recipe in the making)!
We're actually having Mexican style pulled pork on Sunday for a large group of people. I was just thinking that any leftovers might go well in Kayelle's dish.

CWS4322 said:
Oh--DL, it is CHOPPER who is going to be in the run for the money! Sorry! I confused the two of you. But you could do it in a muffin tin...PF is off work on Mondays...she might not have time, but there might be a purple mothership hovering over her kitchen...unfair!

S'okay, CWS, you've got to be exhausted with all your produce! I don't know how you do it.

I was quite successful with a polenta crust. I think using Kayelle's recipe, I would put the batter in the piemaker and cook on it's own until it was a bit crispy on the bottom, use the pusher to push down the middle, top with the filling and a glob of batter on top.

And! Kayelle, it sounds really good. C&P

Watch out gals, this Ma has a mini pie maker too. Will be making pulled pork for Sunday with Ma and Kayelle's recipe looks wonderful and is going to be in the running. Thanks Kayelle. yummy nummyies.
kades

This was requested at the dinner thread. It's as good now as it was a generation ago. :yum:

1 cup yellow corn meal
1 1/2 cups cold milk
1 egg, beaten

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped

The mixture will be very thin. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion and bell pepper till the meat has lost it's color and the veggies are slightly tender. Drain the mixture into a colander. Return the mixture to the skillet and add the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese. Mix well, and spoon the mixture carefully over the cornmeal batter. Top with the cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Kay you epitomise the reason why I came here, good honest home cooking. Thanks for the recipe.

Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing :)

1 cup yellow corn meal
1 1/2 cups cold milk
1 egg, beaten

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped

I'm such an ignorant that I had to go to Google images to understand what a tamale pie is! Ant it looks gorgeous :pig:

I'll need to find some substitute for cheddar and taco/chili seasoning, but it can be done. And it will be done :)

Thanks Kayelle

Taco Seasoning

2 Tbsp chili powder or sub a med-mod dried hot pepper of choice
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp cumin
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper

Mix all together. This is meant to flavor not burn your ears off.

Back
Top Bottom