"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #11
Master Chef

Love it, but it's not something I usually keep on hand...

Old 10-06-2015, 12:21 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Oh, that does I'll just go ahead and use my knife and finely chop the bacon - since I don't have a FP or meat grinder.
I normally use my kitchen shears to chop bacon. No fuss, no muss, and they can go in the dishwasher.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:10 AM   #13
Head Chef

Just wondering, unless you cook your burgers at least medium well, don't you end up with some rather rare to raw bacon pieces in the middle of the burger? I'm not a fan of undercooked bacon - not worried about safety, just don't like the texture - I prefer my bacon a bit on the crisp side.

I'd be inclined to pre cook the bacon, then crumble or chop and mix it into the beef with some of the bacon fat to keep a good bacony flavor in the mixture, but with crispy bacon bits. Just a thought
Old 10-07-2015, 01:37 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Just wondering, unless you cook your burgers at least medium well, don't you end up with some rather rare to raw bacon pieces in the middle of the burger? I'm not a fan of undercooked bacon - not worried about safety, just don't like the texture - I prefer my bacon a bit on the crisp side.

I'd be inclined to pre cook the bacon, then crumble or chop and mix it into the beef with some of the bacon fat to keep a good bacony flavor in the mixture, but with crispy bacon bits. Just a thought
Sounds good your way too Rick..your kitchen, your rules.

Actually the way it was done, the bacon was chopped so fine, to the aprox. grind of the beef, I doubt you'd know it was there, except for the flavor. The very lean ground beef has the added bacon fat, much like ground chuck contains more beef fat.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:00 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm dying to hear how someone here thinks when they have tried it. Just like RP, I was wondering about the bacon texture. I like my bacon very crisp.

One detail in the instructions just bugged me. "Coarsely chop and pulse in food processor to grind or push through the meat grinder attachment for a stand mixer." What, if I just have a meat grinder, but no stand mixer, this won't work?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm dying to hear how someone here thinks when they have tried it. Just like RP, I was wondering about the bacon texture. I like my bacon very crisp.

One detail in the instructions just bugged me. "Coarsely chop and pulse in food processor to grind or push through the meat grinder attachment for a stand mixer." What, if I just have a meat grinder, but no stand mixer, this won't work?
I would think that a stand alone grinder would work as well as, or better than, a mixer attachment. Personally, if I did it per the recipe, I'd just use a knife to mince it unless I was making a large quantity. Faster for me than setting up, grinding, then cleaning up after for just a few strips of bacon.

My only meat grinder is the ancient manual one I got when my mother passed away. I don't use it as much as she did, but I'm a bit handier with a knife than she was.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I would think that a stand alone grinder would work as well as, or better than, a mixer attachment. Personally, if I did it per the recipe, I'd just use a knife to mince it unless I was making a large quantity. Faster for me than setting up, grinding, then cleaning up after for just a few strips of bacon.

My only meat grinder is the ancient manual one I got when my mother passed away. I don't use it as much as she did, but I'm a bit handier with a knife than she was.
Yeah, I guess I should have put a smiley to indicate sarcasm. It just annoys me that they write it that way.

Depending on how my wrist is feeling, I would probably cut it up with a knife too. I have an actual, stand alone, electric meat grinder that I have had for donkey's years. I don't use it often for meat, but it has an attachment for vegis and we use that a lot for grating or shredding vegis or cheese. We use it for dry bread crumbs too. It's one of my more useful, small, kitchen appliances.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:11 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Bacon burgers.

I picked up some Danish blue cheese at that funny market I went to today. It is very creamy rather than crumbly. It reminded me of the Gorgonzola I picked up at a little market in Venice.
Here is a bacon funny. While we were in St. Petersburg Russia, we found a great restaurant called the Soviet Cafe next to our hotel. After 2 nights of very rich food, we decided to go for something a little lighter. We looked at the specials, and they had a pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon! So much for "lighter"
Old 10-09-2015, 02:17 AM   #19
Proud American

I think this is very nice! But how does one understand of meaty and smoked bacon?

Is there a correct type of bacon for this? I will be here longer, and cooking also.

There are different bacons, yes?

~Cat
Old 10-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I think as long as you chop the bacon fine enough to mix evenly with the beef, the type doesn't matter so much.

Tags
bacon