"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Kobe Beef?

What is Kobe Beef, and does anybody have a recipe they will share?
Please and Thank you.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Head Chef

It's not a recipe or a dish but a particular kind of beef from Japan. It's EXTREMELY expensive and very hard to find in the U.S. Here's a link for more information: CLICK ME

p.s. -- You can join a Kobe Beef of the Month Club for only $1,439.99 per year. That gets you 4 steaks per month, except in March and November when you get 12 burger patties. Such a deal! CLICK ME

Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Head Chef

Kobe beef is from a breed of cattle raised in Japan. They are raised on beer, sake, regularly massaged. Extremely marbled meat. HUGELY expensive.

You can use Kobe beef in any beef recipe, but you would probably want to pick a recipe that highlights the nature of the meat. Don't even dream of cooking it well.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Kobe beef is Japanese beef of the Wagyu breed. Some Wagyu beef is now being raised in US, but it is not Kobe. I don't know too much about it, but I imagine if you google it you will find some information.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
It's not a recipe or a dish but a particular kind of beef from Japan. It's EXTREMELY expensive and very hard to find in the U.S. Here's a link for more information: CLICK ME

p.s. -- You can join a Kobe Beef of the Month Club for only $1,439.99 per year. That gets you 4 steaks per month, except in March and November when you get 12 burger patties. Such a deal! CLICK ME
Quote:
It's not a recipe or a dish but a particular kind of beef from Japan
This explains why I could not find a recipe, Thank you.

Thank you to all who responded also.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Senior Cook

if you're near houston, texas, go down to Central Market (HEB) on Westheimer and 610.

they have wagyu beef there, and you can get the ribeye cut for $38/pound. once a month or so, i buy one 1-1/4 inch thick, approximately 1.5 lb steak.

i season it with salt and pepper (2:1 ratio) let it get to room temperature, sprinkle it down with some dried and "powdered" porcini mushroom and I sear it on both sides for 4 - 5 minutes. let it rest for 5 minutes and ENJOY.

you haven't had beef until you've had a GOOD piece of wagyu beef... the taste & texture are of another world.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Master Chef

A number of years ago, back when Kobe beef was just becoming a hot item in the U.S., I had a phenomenal birthday meal at a local restaurant of a perfectly cooked medium-rare Kobe-beef filet mignon served on a bed of wasabi mashed potatoes, separated by a "raft" of steamed Broccolini. I don't usually wax rhapsodic about restaurant meals - but this was fabulous. I still remember every bite - lol!!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Head Chef

Most Kobe beef in the US is a mix breed of cow with Wagyu DNA. A few Wagyu cows were exported before a loop hole was closed. Some cows are raised in the US with a high ratio of Wagyu DNA. Also they are not raised under the same conditions they would be in Japan.

The US raised Kobe beef is not quite the same as what you can find in Japan. But still very fine beef.

In Japan I ate Kobe beef. It was quite the experince (but glad that I was not paying). The best was the Kobe sashimi. Its hard to explain but due to the high fat content it was almost like eating beef flavored butter (in a good way).
Old 03-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef View Post
if you're near houston, texas, go down to Central Market (HEB) on Westheimer and 610.

they have wagyu beef there, and you can get the ribeye cut for $38/pound. once a month or so, i buy one 1-1/4 inch thick, approximately 1.5 lb steak.

i season it with salt and pepper (2:1 ratio) let it get to room temperature, sprinkle it down with some dried and "powdered" porcini mushroom and I sear it on both sides for 4 - 5 minutes. let it rest for 5 minutes and ENJOY.

you haven't had beef until you've had a GOOD piece of wagyu beef... the taste & texture are of another world.

I'm in a small town in Iowa, but we are planing a trip to Des Moines soon. I plan to find a good market and try this recipe. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Just a word of caution: don't salt your steak until just before you cook it. Salting the meat in advance helps to pull the natural moisture out of it, and can result in dry steak.

Tags
None