Kobe beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes Callisto there are indeed some errors with my usage of "Monter au Beurre". They will be fixed. The link you provided seems to be something other that Monter au Beurre. it took me to a Wiki article entitled beurre monte. I think buerre monte is a fancy emulsified butter instead of the addition of butter to a sauce which is monter au beurre.
The blog you refer to, is that nilshoyum.com? Because that is where you can make comments if you want. The website howtocookmeat.com provides an email address for questions. If you want to email or message me more on this subject feel free to use one of those two channels.
Tell me what specifically don't you like about pan-fried meat? What is your preferred method of cooking Kobe beef? Because the pan-fried Kobe was delicious.
Lastly, I looked through the article for the grammatical errors and punctuation mistakes. I am gonna be homest I didn't see any. Perhaps you are willing to be a bit more specific?

Well, I googled monte (no R) au beurre and it redirects me to Beurre monte, hence the link. When I use monter it redirects me as a misspelling. The blog I refer to is you link listed. Your "how to..." website is indeed just a blog which allows for no comments. Call it what you may, but it's still a blog. Try actually Googling monter au beurre and you'll see your incorrect usage.

As for the grammar, I'm not your paid editor, I just see a lot of grammatical errors not the least of which being the sentence spacing and structure. I edited magazines for 4 years, seeing the errors just comes naturally.

Pan frying is for desperate people with no grill. Oh, heck, a George Forman is better than a pan. A broiler is better than a pan. A pan is what you fry cheep hamburger in, not expensive steak. Expensive steak deserves respect, pan frying isn't respecting a steak. You would never go to a restaurant owned by Bobby Flay, Cat Cora, Emril, Robert Irvine and find steak pan fried. It's an abomination.

Oh my, and to think I pan fried beef tenderloin in a cast iron skillet just last night! :rolleyes: This is not last night's steak, but it was prepared in the exact same way. I think steak preparation is personal preference. :)To each his own!:)

3038487790_51d5b05b4d.jpg

Oh my, and to think I pan fried beef tenderloin in a cast iron skillet just last night! :rolleyes: This is not last night's steak, but it was prepared in the exact same way. I think steak preparation is personal preference. :)To each his own!:)
Cast iron is not stainless steel. Big difference and totally different cuts of beef. Apples and oranges.

...Pan frying is for desperate people with no grill. Oh, heck, a George Forman is better than a pan. A broiler is better than a pan. A pan is what you fry cheep hamburger in, not expensive steak. Expensive steak deserves respect, pan frying isn't respecting a steak. You would never go to a restaurant owned by Bobby Flay, Cat Cora, Emril, Robert Irvine and find steak pan fried. It's an abomination.
An abomination? Hardly! If it's too cold, dark or rainy to use my grill, I always opt for pan broiling steaks in a cast iron skillet, sometimes finishing them in the oven if they're particularly thick. I don't know about Bobby Flay, but I note that in her tome, The Way to Cook, Julia Child's "master recipe" for steaks (page 192) calls for pan broiling. And check what Emeril has to say on the subject: Emeril's Black & Blue Steak

Pan frying is for desperate people with no grill. Oh, heck, a George Forman is better than a pan. A broiler is better than a pan. A pan is what you fry cheep hamburger in, not expensive steak. Expensive steak deserves respect, pan frying isn't respecting a steak. You would never go to a restaurant owned by Bobby Flay, Cat Cora, Emril, Robert Irvine and find steak pan fried. It's an abomination.
That is quite an insulting thing to say. Are you calling me desperate because I pan fried my rib eyes the other night? The rib eyes that turned out as good or better than any steak I have ever had in any restaurant by the way.

Pan frying steak is NOT an abomination. It is a perfectly acceptable way to cook excellent steak and I would be very happy to eat Kobe prepared this way.

...Pan frying steak is NOT an abomination. It is a perfectly acceptable way to cook excellent steak and I would be very happy to eat Kobe prepared this way.
I'll go even a bit farther: pan frying (pan grilling) is the reason God invented cast iron skillets. IMHO, pan frying results in a purer beef flavor than grilling on the BBQ (although I do love the smoke flavor from my grill). It also sears the surface of the meat extremely well, keeping it very juicy. The only downside for me is the smoke as I no longer have a good range hood.

The only downside for me is the smoke as I no longer have a good range hood.
I agree. The steaks I made in my CI pan the other night put out so much smoke I could hardly see my wife sitting across the table from me. The taste of the steak and that great crust were well worth it though.

I'll go even a bit farther: pan frying (pan grilling) is the reason God invented cast iron skillets. IMHO, pan frying results in a purer beef flavor than grilling on the BBQ (although I do love the smoke flavor from my grill). It also sears the surface of the meat extremely well, keeping it very juicy. The only downside for me is the smoke as I no longer have a good range hood.

As a side note - - I just bought some Hickory Smoked Pepper and it smells divine. I am going to pan-sear a steak using this pepper to see if I can get that freshly grilled type flavor from it. Even if I am grilling I will stick a chunk or two of hickory in there hoping just a tad of that flavor penetrates. I hope this replicates it. :pig:

I agree. The steaks I made in my CI pan the other night put out so much smoke I could hardly see my wife sitting across the table from me. The taste of the steak and that great crust were well worth it though.
You ever set off the smoke alarm? I have! Opening the windows helps, but it's not an ideal solution -- as I said I'm usually pan broiling my steaks or chops because it's raining or cold outside -- we consider anything below 60 to be freezing, ya know. :angel:

I had a great hood in our old house -- a Viking hood over a Viking stove. It was great for the wok and for pan broiling. Here I have a lousy side-draft vent. It works OK for most things but can't handle a lot of smoke.

...Here I have a lousy side-draft vent. It works OK for most things but can't handle a lot of smoke.

I've found that opening a window in another room helps. Modern homes are pretty airtight for energy conservation reasons that makes it harder for a fan to draw air through. Also, it keeps any smell from spreading to other rooms.

You ever set off the smoke alarm?
All the time. I have two smoke alarms upstairs. One is outside my bedroom and the other is in my daughters room. Her room is very close to the kitchen so if her door is open and I am cooking steaks like this then the alarm will certainly go off. A quick wave of a dish towel and then closing the bedroom door solves the problem with that one.

Well, here I was getting ready to blast some "opinions" on how to cook steaks and y'all did it for me.:LOL: I have ate Kobe beef and it was in Japan with my partner in crime. Hold yer hats kids. It's not all that and a bag of chips. Yes, it was good. The best? Not by a long shot but, it was still good. I know several talented chefs from Europe that have gone to school at Le Cordon Bleu in France as well as a few locals that went to the CIA and they all pan fry at times with a finish in the oven if needed.
And IMHO as well as theirs Bobby Flay and the others mentioned are at best what professionals call "media chefs". Most are faces with no talent. Oh you get an odd one out with talent such as Miss Julia(child) but most are in the real world of chefs opinion, "chefs" for the amateur cooks to watch on tv.

Fwiw, culinary legend James Beard conducted experiments on the best way to cook a steak. In his tests, the flavor of a pan broiled steak was preferred to all other methods. You may disagree with that method but be aware that's a very highly regarded way to cook a steak, not simply something you do when you have no other option.;)

I still prefer the flavor of flame licked fat on a grilled rib eye than pan seared ... though I still like pan seared :) Actually ... I think I like steak every way except raw (steak tartar):LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom