"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 04-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
...Here I have a lousy side-draft vent. It works OK for most things but can't handle a lot of smoke.

I've found that opening a window in another room helps. Modern homes are pretty airtight for energy conservation reasons that makes it harder for a fan to draw air through. Also, it keeps any smell from spreading to other rooms.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
You ever set off the smoke alarm?
All the time. I have two smoke alarms upstairs. One is outside my bedroom and the other is in my daughters room. Her room is very close to the kitchen so if her door is open and I am cooking steaks like this then the alarm will certainly go off. A quick wave of a dish towel and then closing the bedroom door solves the problem with that one.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Well, here I was getting ready to blast some "opinions" on how to cook steaks and y'all did it for me. I have ate Kobe beef and it was in Japan with my partner in crime. Hold yer hats kids. It's not all that and a bag of chips. Yes, it was good. The best? Not by a long shot but, it was still good. I know several talented chefs from Europe that have gone to school at Le Cordon Bleu in France as well as a few locals that went to the CIA and they all pan fry at times with a finish in the oven if needed.
And IMHO as well as theirs Bobby Flay and the others mentioned are at best what professionals call "media chefs". Most are faces with no talent. Oh you get an odd one out with talent such as Miss Julia(child) but most are in the real world of chefs opinion, "chefs" for the amateur cooks to watch on tv.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
That seems to be what it means Beurre monte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To me you could use the word mount but you would have to use it as a verb. "I finished by mounting a dollop of butter on the steak."
Using mounds of cold butter emulsified in a cream based sauce is considiered a beaurre blanc, I think thats where some of that terminology comes from
Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #35
Head Chef

Fwiw, culinary legend James Beard conducted experiments on the best way to cook a steak. In his tests, the flavor of a pan broiled steak was preferred to all other methods. You may disagree with that method but be aware that's a very highly regarded way to cook a steak, not simply something you do when you have no other option.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #36
Sous Chef

That's true Rob. And in the long run it's just what you prefer and how you like to do it.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #37
Senior Cook

I still prefer the flavor of flame licked fat on a grilled rib eye than pan seared ... though I still like pan seared Actually ... I think I like steak every way except raw (steak tartar)

Tags
beef, cook, kobe, pan fry