"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 04-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Cook

Kobe beef

Hi everyone I am working on writing an article about Kobe beef. And I need some more ideas for spices that go well with Kobe. I am trying to think but today is kinda distracting. Help me out?

Old 04-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Master Chef

If you're writing an article about Kobe beef, than I assume you've eaten it.

That said, there really aren't any specific "spices", etc., that "go well with Kobe". Kobe beef is nothing more than a very high-quality variety of beef. Apart from not cooking it to death, literally ANY preparation used for high-quality beef works with Kobe. There's nothing secret or special about it.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Cook

I just read that Kobe beef is Magyu beef from Kobe Japan. Like Champagne and sparkling wine. Ha.
BC. I think it is special. But you are right. I was just needing some inspiration.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Master Chef

So are you saying that you haven't even tasted the product you're writing about? What publication are you writing for, because frankly I can't imagine a cooking, dining, or even agricultural publication wanting an article written by someone who hadn't even tasted the product.

Oh, & by the way, it's "Wagyu" beef, not "Magyu". And the product in Japan is raised specifically different from the same product in the U.S. But I'm not going to do your research for you. . . .
Old 04-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Cook

Oh no I have eaten it, a number of times. Yes I meant to type wagyu, Thank you for the correction. And yes you are right American wagyu is different than Kobe. Just as I imagine wagyu beef from other parts of Japan is different than the wagyu from Kobe. You still haven't provided me with any inspiration BC. We have pretty much just talked about things we both already know.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Master Chef

It is delicious, isn't it? Unfortunately, now that Wagyu is raised in the U.S. I doubt that many - if any - restaurants here are serving the real "Kobe" from Japan, even if that's what they call it on the menu.

The last time I probably had what was most likely "real" Kobe beef, it was at a restaurant a number of years ago when Kobe beef - & Japanese cuisine in general - was just becoming popular. It was a perfectly cooked (medium-rare if I remember correctly) filet mignon served on a bed of wasabi-spiked mashed potatoes. Absolutely fabulous!

I think the problem you're going to run into as far as recipe inspiration is that terrific beef like Kobe/Wagyu shines best if prepared with simplicity. You really don't want to marinate it or season or sauce it heavily with anything. Other than serving it relatively plain with an interesting side dish like the restaurant served it to me, I can't imagine gilding a nice Kobe/Wagyu steak with much more than perhaps a light pat of compound butter. Something lightly laced with herbs would be nice.

I'd definitely avoid any of the usual steak sauces, cream sauces (like Bearnaise), or the bacon that one sometimes gets wrapped around a filet mignon. I think all/any of the above would mask the great flavor of the beef.

How do you normally enjoy your beef - Wagyu or otherwise?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I think the problem you're going to run into as far as recipe inspiration is that terrific beef like Kobe/Wagyu shines best if prepared with simplicity.
I agree with this 100%. I have never even had Kobe or Wagyu, but I have had other high quality steaks. I would never want more than salt and occasionally black pepper on my good steaks. I am sure I would feel the same about Kobe if/when I have the opportunity to try it. I would want the flavor of the beef and nothing else.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Executive Chef

select your salt and pepper carefully...a Jurassic or other mineral rich salt without iodine, a fine fruity pepper coarsely ground, a wood fired grill, and a bit of compound butter sauce on the plate with the fresh blanched and glazed (with the butter) veg (carrot, radish, turnip) and sauteed (in shallot butter with a hint of cognac) mushrooms

finish with gray salt
Old 04-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I was raised the higher the quality, the less you added to the steaks. We marinate the lower quality cuts to give them more taste but my father would never let anything more than salt and pepper touch his fillet mignon. I couldn't imagine adding anything to Kobe (if I had a chance to try it). My father would die before adding more than salt and pepper to it.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Cook

Thanks BC and everyone else. I definitely agree with all of you, I always stick to simple salt and pepper with the better meat.The recipe for the article has been finished since Monday. BUt there is another section in the article with other ideas for flavors, hence the question. I ended up listing some other types of salt and pepper and some relatively mild herbs.
Here is a photo of the finished product.
Those are roasted fingerling potatoes with rosemary. The kobe is top sirloin and it is seasoned with sea slt and black pepper. I finished with a mount of butter. It was good!

Tags
beef, cook, kobe, pan fry