"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-24-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Kobe Beef... Ever Had It??

after seeing the iron chef america episode on kobe beef, i'm tempted to take the plunge and buy some.

anyone here ever had kobe beef before, and how did you like it?

Old 09-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I had it once in "burger form" - since I couldn't get it rare I really wasn't impressed. It didn't even have any salt and pepper for seasoning. It was dry and really not that good. I have a feeling the person who cooked it used the old-school method of mashing the heck out of it while cooking - hence the dryness. NOW, was it REALLY Kobe beef? I don't know for sure. But I didn't like it. I think if I was in a much larger city and I saw the burger again, and I could get it rare, I might order it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I've had it a couple of times. Yes, it is very tender; however, it was tender to the point of being 'mushy', even in a med-rare filet. No 'chew' or 'mouth-feel' at all. My conclusion? I'd rather have an Angus any day!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Kobe beef and the assorted other "high quality" japanese beef cuts can be more than 50% fat. actually, the higher the fat content, the higher the price, albeit, very well marblized. here, meat is priced per 100 grams (about 3 1/3 oz), and that amount will set you back from $50 u.s. to well over $100.

if you'd like to approximate the experience before shelling out the big bucks, try sauteing a piece of suet at high heat. salt & pepper to taste. true kobe beef will not be much different.

i understand that u.s., canadian, & australian ranches are recently raising "kobe" beef. how it compares to actual kobe beef, i don't know.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Thanks Philso..... I can miss th experience of Kobe Beef. My son had it in Japan a few years ago and said he didn't feel it had much flavor compared to American beef. The price stops me when I see it advertised by some mail order speciality shops.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
Master Chef

I did not see what the big deal was either. I tried some Kobe filets awhile back and have experienced better quality, taste, and texture from The Tender Filet or Pfaelzer Brothers.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Head Chef

Smile

I have never tried Kobe Beef before but I don't think that I will try it.

Jill and Jolie
Old 09-25-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

It's interesting to read the reactions of the other DC-ers who thought Kobe beef did not live up to the hype. Now I won't kvetch so much about not having it so far.

I like tender prime rib and all, but when I have a hankering for steak, I want one that makes those primitive Neanderthal salivary glands start twitching as I anticipate tearing off a hunk with my not-yet-obsolescent canine teeth.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
It's interesting to read the reactions of the other DC-ers who thought Kobe beef did not live up to the hype. Now I won't kvetch so much about not having it so far.

I like tender prime rib and all, but when I have a hankering for steak, I want one that makes those primitive Neanderthal salivary glands start twitching as I anticipate tearing off a hunk with my not-yet-obsolescent canine teeth.
Corn fed and grilled over a hot fire. And I want it jsut between medium rare, and rare, seasoned with just salt and coarse pepper. Oh yehhhhh.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm right there at the firepit in the cave with you, brother.

Tags
None