Kobe Beef... Ever Had It??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
after seeing the iron chef america episode on kobe beef, i'm tempted to take the plunge and buy some.

anyone here ever had kobe beef before, and how did you like it?

I had it once in "burger form" - since I couldn't get it rare I really wasn't impressed. It didn't even have any salt and pepper for seasoning. It was dry and really not that good. I have a feeling the person who cooked it used the old-school method of mashing the heck out of it while cooking - hence the dryness. NOW, was it REALLY Kobe beef? I don't know for sure. But I didn't like it. I think if I was in a much larger city and I saw the burger again, and I could get it rare, I might order it.

I've had it a couple of times. Yes, it is very tender; however, it was tender to the point of being 'mushy', even in a med-rare filet. No 'chew' or 'mouth-feel' at all. My conclusion? I'd rather have an Angus any day!

Kobe beef and the assorted other "high quality" japanese beef cuts can be more than 50% fat. actually, the higher the fat content, the higher the price, albeit, very well marblized. here, meat is priced per 100 grams (about 3 1/3 oz), and that amount will set you back from $50 u.s. to well over $100.

if you'd like to approximate the experience before shelling out the big bucks, try sauteing a piece of suet at high heat. salt & pepper to taste. true kobe beef will not be much different.

i understand that u.s., canadian, & australian ranches are recently raising "kobe" beef. how it compares to actual kobe beef, i don't know.
icon12.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Philso..... I can miss th experience of Kobe Beef. My son had it in Japan a few years ago and said he didn't feel it had much flavor compared to American beef. The price stops me when I see it advertised by some mail order speciality shops.

I did not see what the big deal was either. I tried some Kobe filets awhile back and have experienced better quality, taste, and texture from The Tender Filet or Pfaelzer Brothers.

It's interesting to read the reactions of the other DC-ers who thought Kobe beef did not live up to the hype. Now I won't kvetch so much about not having it so far.

I like tender prime rib and all, but when I have a hankering for steak, I want one that makes those primitive Neanderthal salivary glands start twitching as I anticipate tearing off a hunk with my not-yet-obsolescent canine teeth.

mudbug said:
It's interesting to read the reactions of the other DC-ers who thought Kobe beef did not live up to the hype. Now I won't kvetch so much about not having it so far.

I like tender prime rib and all, but when I have a hankering for steak, I want one that makes those primitive Neanderthal salivary glands start twitching as I anticipate tearing off a hunk with my not-yet-obsolescent canine teeth.

Corn fed and grilled over a hot fire. And I want it jsut between medium rare, and rare, seasoned with just salt and coarse pepper. Oh yehhhhh.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

This thread reminds me. I've heard a lot of advertising lately for an outfit called Allen Brothers. Has anybody had experience with them? How was their product? I checked them out online (absteaks.com). They seem pretty expensive, but it might just be worth the price. If you want to order something from them and have it shipped to me, I'll be glad to supply my address and a critique of the product. Thanking you in advance for your generosity, I remain ever your faithful servant.
Buck

Hrm well I really enjoyed Kobe Beef. Ive had it at a few really nice restaurants. Chef june and i had it in NY if im not mistaken it was march... that you ordered the Kobe beef addition

I think it depends how its cooked and prepared

I would reccomend if you HAVENT tried it to try it.. Why because i think we should all try new things!

I had Kobe beef once, and it was wonderful. It was oh, so tender, juicy and flavorful. I loved it, but my husband wasn't wowed. To each his own, I guess. :)

I have never tried it either, but I would if I saw it for sale. Mainly curiosity, our local beef is very good indeed.

Buck said:
This thread reminds me. I've heard a lot of advertising lately for an outfit called Allen Brothers. Has anybody had experience with them? How was their product? I checked them out online (absteaks.com). They seem pretty expensive, but it might just be worth the price. If you want to order something from them and have it shipped to me, I'll be glad to supply my address and a critique of the product. Thanking you in advance for your generosity, I remain ever your faithful servant.
Buck

18 posts and you're already a funny guy! :ROFLMAO: I guess you can stay! :chef:

Mylegsbig said:
ROFL @ preferring angus beef to kobe

I'd much rather have an angus beef burger 'cause my Kobe burger wasn't good. And for the price difference it wasn't worth it AT all.

So far, I have ordered from Tender Filet (great steaks, great quality... a tad bit pricy). They have these stuffed pin wheel steaks I just love and are easy and quick to fix!!!

Ohmaha Steaks... well I would have given this better consideration, but when they started calling me at home... I pretty much drew the line there. Was not impressed with the hamburgers.

Pflazer Brothers... good quality, great taste and a tad bit cheaper.

I order most of my beef online, I just have never been satisfied with the quality in the stores and the local butcher failed to even live up to the g-stores offerings and quality.

I don't eat much beef, but when I do, I want to eat a good steak. Provided I don't muck it up cooking it!!! :ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom