Kobe Beef Ribeyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All I can say is that I am in awe. That meat looks perfect. I have a 30th anniversary coming up next June. Why not? Cheaper than going to Ruth's Crist, and I have much better wine than they do. I'm really glad I saw this thread. Thanks ironchef.

There are lots of differing opinions as the what temperature to cook Kobe, but my preference is medium rare, not rare like some others suggest. The reason for this is because there is so much fat in Kobe, getting the beef cooked to the 130-135 degree range helps the fat melt, which in turn makes the beef even more tender and flavorful IMO. When the steak is too rare, the fat doesn't melt as thoroughly and IMO you don't get as full a flavor. The only exception I'll make when cooking Kobe rare is if it's going to be sliced very thin, and used with something like sushi or served tataki style. If it's going to be eaten like a regular steak where bigger pieces are going to be chewed and consumed, then medium rare I think is best.

But again, to each his own. You can always cut off a smaller piece, cook it rare, and see if you like it better than medium rare. You can always cook a steak more. And your steaks should also taste better than Ruth's Chris. They make their steaks taste good because they use an obscene amount of butter (not that it's a bad thing). With Kobe, you don't even need butter. Just baste it with whatever fat is in the pan with some fresh thyme sprigs and bruised garlic cloves.

This Kobe-Wagyu stuff looks like a chunk of fat with some meat in it.
No wonder it tastes good and is so easy to cut.
How hard is it to slice through cooked beef fat?
No Laguiole required here, looks like a plastic picnic knife will do the trick :)
Do they send these cows to a cardiologist to keep them alive until slaughter?
My butcher gives me all the beef fat I want for free.
Don't let him see this thread or I'll be paying $100.00 a pound for it.

On a serious note, I wouldn't eat something that looks like that more then twice a year.
Not the kind of food that carries the AMA's seal of approval.

Just my 2 cents...

This Kobe-Wagyu stuff looks like a chunk of fat with some meat in it.
No wonder it tastes good and is so easy to cut.
How hard is it to slice through cooked beef fat?
No Laguiole required here, looks like a plastic picnic knife will do the trick :)
Do they send these cows to a cardiologist to keep them alive until slaughter?
My butcher gives me all the beef fat I want for free.
Don't let him see this thread or I'll be paying $100.00 a pound for it.

On a serious note, I wouldn't eat something that looks like that more then twice a year.
Not the kind of food that carries the AMA's seal of approval.

Just my 2 cents...

I couldn't agree more. I can't even imagine what the "mouthfeel" could be with so much fat. Why would anyone eat this? Twice a year? I don't think so. I won't even eat rib eye steaks because of so much fat. I stick with NY strips. And what the heck happened to my font????

Looks good. One of these days I'll pick up a piece 'o Waygu. I'm just happy to get some prime every once in a while.

That ribeye would be a good candidate for reverse searing.

mmmm, beef fat!
Guess that just goes to show ya.... not everyone likes the same food. Just like some people prefer one color chicken meat over another.
Me, I love fatty... err, I mean "flavorful" beef :) And that's why I only pick up strips if there's a really good sale going on. I prefer ribeyes, but I don't think I'd ever spend that much money on a kobe or wagyu..... I can buy a lot of beer with the savings :LOL:

It's pretty much the best ever. The top two grades are A4 and A5, with A5 being the top tier. The difference is in the marbling. That's how the grades are determined. This is A4 grade Kobe that I was able to get. This is only the second highest grade, imagine how much marbling A5 has. And it isn't even a fatty cut like the rib eye.

Hey, where's the beef?? :LOL:

My first thought when I saw the pic of the OP, is that you got gypped!!!! All that fat and just a tiny amout of meat???? Anywho... I like well marbled, but would rather more meat than fat. I think it is all a matter of preference. I hope it was good!

I couldn't agree more. I can't even imagine what the "mouthfeel" could be with so much fat. Why would anyone eat this? Twice a year? I don't think so. I won't even eat rib eye steaks because of so much fat. I stick with NY strips. And what the heck happened to my font????

I never serve ribeyes whole. I cut them into 1/4" thick strips making it easy to remove the fat and enjoy that delicious yummy medium rare delight.

I am happy for all of you who relish and enjoy the well-marbled beef, but with all due respect, I'm with DQ - really too much fat for my taste. I understand that most of it would melt, but I prefer NY strip or even tenderloin. We actually eat very little red meat these days - beef if not so good here in Mexico. I do still have a USDA choice eye of round roast in my freezer that I bought at Costco a few weeks ago....may defrost it in the fridge overnight and cook it tomorrow. The last one I had was very good - cooked medium rare.

The mouth feel is the best part of the experience. It's like eating silky delicious beef.

I respect your guys' opinion but I feel you can't say anything against it until you've tried it. The fat melts away and you're left with meat that looks kind of like a sponge. The crispyness and the beefyness is an completely unmatched experience.

It's pretty much the best ever. The top two grades are A4 and A5, with A5 being the top tier. The difference is in the marbling. That's how the grades are determined. This is A4 grade Kobe that I was able to get. This is only the second highest grade, imagine how much marbling A5 has. And it isn't even a fatty cut like the rib eye.

where's the beef?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can eat beef raw if it is a good grade. But I do not need the fat for the flavor. Yes, I know that is where the flavor comes from, but even a good chuck steak can provide that (trimmed).

The packaged picture here only makes me want to choose something else.

Bob

There is a reason this beef brings such a high price in the market. Simply put it is worth it. If you have never had it then you don't know. I have not had the US version but the Kobe beef in Japan does not compare to US beef. The fat does not taste like the fat in US beef.

The best grade of Tuna also have high fat content. Eat a low grade of tuna belly and it is good. Eat a high end bit of top grade Toro and it blows the other away. But if you have never had the good stuff how would you know?

Looks like it would be fantastic for carpaccio, but if the fat melts away, as per Stinemates, it doesn't look like you'd end up with much on your plate if you were to cook it.

There is a reason this beef brings such a high price in the market. Simply put it is worth it. If you have never had it then you don't know. I have not had the US version but the Kobe beef in Japan does not compare to US beef. The fat does not taste like the fat in US beef.

The best grade of Tuna also have high fat content. Eat a low grade of tuna belly and it is good. Eat a high end bit of top grade Toro and it blows the other away. But if you have never had the good stuff how would you know?

LOL. I say the same words about Japanese knives vs crappy German steel and get the same uninformed opinions.

Looks like it would be fantastic for carpaccio,

I bet it would! When I had it in Japan it was usually served raw sliced very this with very light dipping sauce.

but if the fat melts away, as per Stinemates, it doesn't look like you'd end up with much on your plate if you were to cook it.

I have only had it cooked with a very quick sear on the outside so I would worry about the same. But I have no experince so can not comment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom