Kobe Beef Ribeyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stinemates

Senior Cook
I am so excited...

Look whats coming up to room temp on my kitchen table:

kobe_1.jpg

kobe_2.jpg

kobe_3.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see the pics but if the title of the thread is any indication there should be some Kobe rib eye steaks there.
My husband and I splurged at a high end restaurant one day and had Kobe hamburger. If your steaks are half as good as the burger you're in for a real treat. It was the most delicious, richest meat I have ever tasted. Hope the pics come through.

I'm not sure what Kobe means, but that is a great looking steak!
Keep the pics coming

May I ask what you had to pay for them??
They look lovely! Hope you don't over cook that prized piece of meat!!;)

I cook them often. They spend about 11-12 minutes being cooked.

How I cook them:

S&P to room temp.
HOT sear until browned, flip, add rosemary butter, throw them in a broiler to finish. While resting, make a sauce which I sometimes use now, but usually save for later.

Serve with a Pinot Noir ;)

I have a supplier really close to my house which also houses a lot of other exquisite meat -- elk, venison, ostrich, alligator, wild boar, bear, etc.

The kobe beef is $24/lb. The piece featured in the photos was $43.

It is my understanding the true Kobe can only be imported from Japan. The cattle are raised and fed differently than here in the States and that makes the beef taste the way it does.
Your price of $24 per lb. is a good price. The steaks coming in from Japan are in the $35 to $45/lb range. I know my hubby and I paid $16.00 each for the 1/2 lb. burgers - ala carte. It was well worth it ONCE! :)

Yes that is correct DQ. Kobe refers to the location. You can not have Kobe beef from the US just as you can not have champagne from anywhere other than the Champagne region of France. That does not mean that the steaks of sparkling wine will not be delicious of course.

I lived in Japan for a year and had authentic Kobe beef a few times back when the Yen was fixed at 360 to the dollar (the good old days ;)). The meat had very good flavor but the largest distinguishing trait I remember was the tenderness. I'm a performance knife guy but the Kobe could have been cut with a butter knife, or spoon, maybe even a finger. I swear it. I wonder what would happen if you took a cut of meat like that and dry brined it as is being discussed in the "reverse sear ribeye" thread? It might be the world's greatest steak or a little pile of charcoal and pink mush.... :rolleyes:

I can't imagine brining a Kobe rib eye. I think you'll end up with some pretty mushy steak. I don't eat rib eye steaks for that reason. I like a little chew to my steaks so I go with New York Strip. Frankly, I'm not sure beef is a meat you can brine. I see a lot written about bringing poultry and pork but never beef. Is this even done with good results?

DQ, Buzz is talking about dry brining which is different from regular wet brining. Dry brining would would fine on this, or any, steak.

GB is correct. Dry brining is an entirely different animal. Dry aging + dry brining + reverse searing = the best steaks I've ever had. Too bad the supermarts don't carry dry aged beef but at least most butcher shops have it.

DramaQueen, lookie here.

Interesting. I guess I missed that. Now what is the purpose for the brine; to bring out the flavor or to tenderize the meat? Is this a special brine? Can or do you dry brine poultry and pork?

Back
Top Bottom