"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Question Lean Ground Beef Grey

I purchased 90/10 ground beef last week and it had grey strips of ground meat going through the center. It didn't have an off odor or any sliminess to it. I used the meat around it to no ill effects but today I went to the same place and purchased some more. Guess what...same thing. I'm thinking of taking it back but I wonder if this can be a normal occurrence. Who has a clue?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Ground beef will go from red to a darker shade that can be described as greyish. It's exposure to air that does it. If there were streaks of the darker meat mixed in to the redder meat, it may be that it was repackaged in the store causing some 'mixing'. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it may be old.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I find most hamburger to be a little gray once you get past the red exterior. It doesn't matter the fat content. Like Andy said, it has more to do with age.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Master Chef

Sometimes when I open a package of ground beef, the meat has turned grayish brown on the inside. It smells OK, but it doesnít look very appetizing and I wonder if itís safe to eat. Is it?

Most likely, itís fine. Ground beefís bright red color comes from a pigment, myoglobin, which becomes red when exposed to oxygen (turning it into oxymyoglobin).

The plastic wrap covering the ground beef you see in the grocery store is permeable, allowing some oxygen to seep through and keep the meat on the exterior red. But ground beef thatís not exposed to oxygen -- like the meat thatís on the interior -- will often lose its red color after a few days.
However, if the ground beef is gray or brown throughout, it could be beginning to spoil. If you do detect an off odor or if the meat seems sticky or slimy, throw it away. Although bacteria that cause spoilage donít always cause illness, thereís no sense in taking a chance.

Chow Line: When ground beef turns gray (10/12/12) ‚ÄĒ Home
Old 03-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Executive Chef

There is only one store in my area where I can buy ground meat and it's the same color all the way through, so that's where I always buy my ground meat. And I use it or freeze it the day I buy it, next day at the most. I think it's because this store is very busy and sells the meat at fast as they can grind it.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
There is only one store in my area where I can buy ground meat and it's the same color all the way through, so that's where I always buy my ground meat. And I use it or freeze it the day I buy it, next day at the most. I think it's because this store is very busy and sells the meat at fast as they can grind it.
Allow that meat to sit for several hours and see it also change color.
It is completely normal for hamburger meat to have a color change after it has been packaged.
There is nothing wrong with it.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I understand that if I let it sit it will change color but I don't let it sit because I don't want it to change color. I have bought meat from other stores and it was already brown inside as soon as I buy it. When I buy meat at that one store it is never brown inside, unless I let it sit. Which I don't. I know it's not bad. It's just something I'm anal about.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I understand that if I let it sit it will change color but I don't let it sit because I don't want it to change color. I have bought meat from other stores and it was already brown inside as soon as I buy it. When I buy meat at that one store it is never brown inside, unless I let it sit. Which I don't. I know it's not bad. It's just something I'm anal about.
Do they grind it everyday? Do they grind it as needed?

You are right. It does not have any color variation when first ground. But within a few hours after grinding the inside will turn a bit.
You are getting fresh ground and thats why it looks so good. I also hate to see any color variation.
I wish I had a butcher shop!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
Executive Chef

They advertise that they grind it every day. They are usually bringing various meats out when I'm there, which is usually during the day. I don't think they have a full meat dept staff in the evening. They probably sell out during the evening and start bringing new out in the AM...that's why they are usually bringing it out when I'm there in the AM. I usually use it or pkg it up and freeze it the day I buy it. At some other stores, the inside is turning brown when I bring it home. It looks like they put some fresh ground meat over the brown stuff and put it back out for sale. I consider that deceptive.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Would you take it back to the store?

Tags
beef, ground beef