"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 04-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Letting Meat Rest

When I grill Steak I've been wrapping them in foil to let them 'rest'. My question is how long should I let them rest and does it really make a difference?

Old 04-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Head Chef

It makes a huge difference as it allows the juices of the meat to be redistributed through the whole piece. Otherwise, when you cut into it, all the juices will run out and the rest will be dry. I'm not sure how long, it's a percentage of your cooking time, depending on the cooking time/size.
Also, I just cover loosely with foil so it doesn't continue to cook/steam while resting.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinq View Post
When I grill Steak I've been wrapping them in foil to let them 'rest'. My question is how long should I let them rest and does it really make a difference?
what kind of steak is it?
if its ribeye or t-bone it should go from grill to plate
nothing better than a hot steak right off the grill
Old 04-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
For a steak I'd say about 5 minutes should do it. I simply tent versus wrapping. Unless you are under cooking your meat I would be afraid wrapping would cause my steak to overcook. And yes, as Wyogal stated, it allows the juices to basically sink back into the meat (steak, chicken, smoked pork butt, brisket, etc.). While it's cooking all those juices are moving around and rise to the surface. If you cut a piece of meat immediately after removing from the heat source the juices simply spill out of the meat and what's left is a piece of meat with no juices left in it. Resting makes a HUGE difference.

Even grilled meats need to rest. Going from grill to plate is fine, just don't cut it! If someone served me a steak right off the grill I would let it rest on my plate and no one would be the wiser...except my tastebuds!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

For the reasons stated above --- Steaks need 5-10 Minutes depending on thickness. Large roast often need 15-20 minutes in repose. Tenting is recommended over wrapping unless you are trying to hold the meat over for a (long) period of time....Be advised it will continue to cook/steam/braise however...Also tenting can sometimes soften the crust/ crispy skin/bark/sear/ etc on the meat...If you don't want to lose that...then let it rest in the open....

Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Another Resting Mmeat Question

One thing I noticed is that when I let meat 'rest' in a foil wrap or tent is that there are a lot of juices outside of the meat. I'm wondering if I didn't sear the meat right and thats why all the juices are found on the outside instead of it being 'locked' in the meat. Or is it normal for some juices to be on the outside of the meat after letting it rest?

Can anyone shed light on this?
Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

That is normal. And as for searing locking in juices, that is actually not what happens. Searing does not lock in juices. It actually ruptures cell walls causing moisture loss. It is worth it though because searing creates flavor so the little moisture loss is well worth what you gain in taste.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
Head Chef

I agree with Bob on the rest timing.

As for the juices that accumulate on the plate, just pour them over the steak, sliced or otherwise, when you serve it. Save some for the baked potato, too.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

i always keep a real close eye on my ribeyes
once they are cooked to my perfection
they have left the grill to the plate
with juices coming out in every cut

but i will let them rest the next time i cook them and see what happens
Old 05-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinq View Post
I have never heard of wrapping cooked meat to let it reat. I think that's overkill. Tenting is usually a good idea, not also not necessary for items like burgers and steaks.

Tags
None