Lips-only from rib-eye steaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fat equals flavor....... no getting around it............:angel:

Yep----- and in one of the cruel tricks life plays on us----- when I was a kid you couldn't get a milligram of visible fat down me! I had the precision of a surgeon cutting off all fat. Back then I was 'skinny' and didn't gain weight even though I ate voraciously!

Now, when I'm ahem 'plump' I love all the fatty meats.

Life just ain't fair.:(

I haven't had a rib-eye in a few years because I really disliked the last one I had; it was served in a very nice restaurant, and about 1/3 of the serving was left on the plate because it was inedible.

The porterhouse or strip steak has some marbling within and most of the fat around the outside, so I can trim it easily and eat what I want of the fat.

Its a shame that happened. But I have found the ribeye to have the most fat and marbling of the three in question.
When you say grizzle? I am trying to picture where the grizzle would be on a ribeye? I can see grizzle on the strip and the porterhouse along the "strip" portion. But I cannot see the grizzle on the ribeye. I can see plenty fat, but not grizzle.

All it takes is one time bad to turn you off of something for sure.
Probably why I don't eat lamb chops today. And why I don't like spiders.
Hard to believe I used to pick daddy long legs up by their legs as a kid :shock:

I got very ill from lamb chops one night. I had a very important presentation the next day at work and had to cancel I was so sick. To this day, I am not certain as to what was the culprit. The lamb chops or the fresh rosemary I used in the marinade. You see I fumigated the garden a few days before my wife plucked some rosemary. She did not know.
All I tasted for three days was rosemary.
Today, I think I could eat lamb chops again. I haven't so far. Its been over 10 years since I got sick.

For a long time I was a NY strip fan. A few years ago I switched to ribeyes and I'm pleased with the difference. Properly grilled they have a lot better flavor. Probably from all that internal fat.

I prefer ribeye myself, but have been buying strips. I always go by the quality of the steaks available and the strips have looked like "Prime" cuts each time. Very well marbled. So strips it is.

The lip is generally trimmed and ground for burger. It really is mostly fat. Now the spinalis dorsi, that's the best part! That's the muscle on the side opposite the lip. That's some amazing meat right there!:chef: You can trim off the lip, remove the dorsi and make steaks from the 'eye' of the ribeye. Then you roll and tie the dorsi and make steaks from that...for yourself!:ROFLMAO:

What I've learned from this topic and all the various replies is that what I call the 'lip' can be called various names depending on:

1. What region a person lives in.
2. What meat market/supermarket a person uses.
3. Phases of the moon.
4. How the constellations are aligned that day.

The Internet has much information about rib eyes and their appendages.
Those sites are governed by the tide.

I was told by my butcher that it's a lip. But cap/spinalis seems to be the real name.
This site shows a good picture:
Expensive steak doesn’t have to cost us customers |

Still a lip. Pfffft :LOL:

My market still leaves the lip/cap/spinalis on a rib eye steak and I just rummage through them all to find the largest lip/cap/spinalis.

Who says you can't learn something new every day?;)

Great explanation. I also never get an eye of ribeye. The lip is always present when I buy them.
We have no butchers here in Upstate SC. We only have people that work in the meat depts of grocery stores and membership clubs like Costco.

I wanted some skirt steak one time and not one of the meat dept people knew what it was. It seems we can get some stuff now. But 25 years ago, a fresh rye bread was only a distant memory.

We finally got Publix and Fresh Market. To bad they are both well over 25 miles from our house. How do we survive?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom