Lips-only from rib-eye steaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
Has anyone heard of being able to buy lips-only (from rib-eye steaks?)
Even frozen and on-line?

Interesting, thanks. Rib-eye isn't my favorite cut. Too fatty. I like porterhouse. But I can see the argument for leaving the fat on.

From the link that luckytrim posted:
"They also say that they find the lip quite flavourful."

And I personally find it to be even more flavorful than any other cut of beef. Too bad it isn't sold separately. I'd pay as much for that as for a filet of beef.

(And yes, it's fatty, which is why it's more flavorful. LOL)

From the link that luckytrim posted:
"They also say that they find the lip quite flavourful."

And I personally find it to be even more flavorful than any other cut of beef. Too bad it isn't sold separately. I'd pay as much for that as for a filet of beef.

(And yes, it's fatty, which is why it's more flavorful. LOL)

I should have said gristly. I like nicely caramelized fat with the meat but when a third of the cut is too tough to eat, that's no fun for me. I know some people like to chew on the sinew, but I'm not one of them.

From my experience, as a cook and meat counter manager, the lip section is usually more fat than meat. It also is very inconsistent from one animal to another. Because of this, it is a hard sell around here to leave that piece on, especially when the rib eye has no bone. You can get away with it if there is bone there, but as a rib eye, it seems like there is much more fat to meat ratio. Sometimes I try to trim as much fat from it try to save the meat and form it around the steak to make it look good. I hate having so much scrap, even if it does end up in the ground beef. Plus, it is not a true rib "eye" when there is a "lip" there. lol. Personally I like that piece well charred and salted, but every time I gobble one down, I am thinking 'there goes a year off of my life".

Last edited:
Plus, it is not a true rib "eye" when there is a "lip" there. lol.

Ah! A 'true' rib eye can't have a 'lip'. It makes sense when put that way.

However every "rib eye steak" I've bought has the lip attached. I always rummage around in the bin to find the largest lip. I guess the butchers at all the meat markets I've bought rib eyes at didn't understand the 'true' meaning of a rib eye steak.

GG said that he felt the 'lip' was tough. Hmmmm. I've always found the lip to be the most tender part of the steak.

I shop at Safeway, a Market of Choice and a privately owned meat market.

GG said that he felt the 'lip' was tough. Hmmmm. I've always found the lip to be the most tender part of the steak.

I'm a she
15_4_123.gif
:)

I said I wasn't crazy about rib-eye steak in general because I find that it usually has too much tough gristle and there's always a lot of waste when I eat it. So I choose a porterhouse or strip steak instead. I don't know that I've ever had the lip.

Last edited:
I'm a she
15_4_123.gif

I said I wasn't crazy about rib-eye steak in general because I find that it usually has too much tough gristle and there's always a lot of waste when I eat it. So I choose a porterhouse or strip steak instead. I don't know that I've ever had the lip.

That's you? Should we call you Olga... or Heidi? :LOL:

I buy rib eyes by the loin, so I'll assume the "lip" is there. It's certainly not a prime loin or anything at under 5 bucks a lb and I never trim anything. There isn't any gristle to speak of. Fat yes, gristle no.
I've noticed though that different areas seem to have different meat cuts available, so maybe the ones that come into my area are trimmed more.

I'm a she
15_4_123.gif

"I'm a she"

Oops, sorry.

About the steaks, we must be buying from different stores. :)

I have never seen gristle on a ribeye either.

The porterhouse (strip portion) would have gristle, not the ribeye.

That's you? Should we call you Olga... or Heidi? :LOL:

I buy rib eyes by the loin, so I'll assume the "lip" is there. It's certainly not a prime loin or anything at under 5 bucks a lb and I never trim anything. There isn't any gristle to speak of. Fat yes, gristle no.
I've noticed though that different areas seem to have different meat cuts available, so maybe the ones that come into my area are trimmed more.

Nah, that actually doesn't represent me at all ;) But the brown-haired one I found was blushing and that wasn't appropriate :rolleyes::LOL:

I have never seen gristle on a ribeye either.

The porterhouse (strip portion) would have gristle, not the ribeye.

I haven't had a rib-eye in a few years because I really disliked the last one I had; it was served in a very nice restaurant, and about 1/3 of the serving was left on the plate because it was inedible.

The porterhouse or strip steak has some marbling within and most of the fat around the outside, so I can trim it easily and eat what I want of the fat.

Last edited:
All it takes is one time bad to turn you off of something for sure.
Probably why I don't eat lamb chops today. And why I don't like spiders.
Hard to believe I used to pick daddy long legs up by their legs as a kid :shock:

GG said:
"I haven't had a rib-eye in a few years because I really disliked the last one I had; it was served in a very nice restaurant, and about 1/3 of the serving was left on the plate because it was inedible."

That's too bad! That would turn me off too. I haven't eaten a rib eye in a restaurant for more than a few decades (can't remember if it was good or bad) but all the ones I've bought in the markets (when they're on sale) are always tender and flavorful, lips and all.
Oh, except for one bought at a low price at a less than great market---- it
was tough and gristly.

Maybe one day you'll try a rib-eye again.

For a long time I was a NY strip fan. A few years ago I switched to ribeyes and I'm pleased with the difference. Properly grilled they have a lot better flavor. Probably from all that internal fat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom