Liver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And the slices are usually very uneven nowadays. Doesn't make cooking it easy. One end is still raw in the middle when the other end is already cooked to dry.

And I hate not being able to see what you get till you get home with one of those tubs, TL!! You are so right about uneven slices. Many pieces are hunks, rather than slices. I remember Dad had it laid out beautifully in a tray in the meat case, and would hook a piece of it to show it to the customer. Gosh, how I miss that kind of service.

And the slices are usually very uneven nowadays. Doesn't make cooking it easy. One end is still raw in the middle when the other end is already cooked to dry.

This is why I prefer the frozen liver. The slices ARE even. I've never seen it in a tub except for chicken livers, which I haven't seen around here yet.

Hmmm Z, maybe it's a regional thing. I've never seen frozen liver, only fresh beef liver in the white tubs, along with chicken livers in the tubs.

I've been using this for ages. It is always in the freezer section (of course), but often in a smaller end cap type unit, even near frozen fish/shellfish or frozen meatballs. Since I use it regularly, I make it a point to find it. You could always ask someone in the meat department. I like that it's frozen because I just stick it in the freezer and make it whenever. I usually have it every couple of months, and keep one on hand for a change of pace. Also I like it for the even slices.

Last edited:
As for a recipe: I heated up leftover fried chicken livers, and made a white sauce for dipping since I knew they would be soggy. Well, I'll tell you what: YUM.

Next time I make liver I'm going to saute them in butter and serve with the white sauce (Country Gravy Mix) with a tablespoon of dried green onions. I like them crispy crunchy just out of the pan, but it isn't worth having them soggy as leftovers.

Last edited:
:ohmy: OMG....the thought of a liver roast turns me green. :sick::yuk::LOL:

How can you slice a non frozen liver? I have no idea but I've seen it done many times.
Don't they have to state if a meat has been previously frozen on the package? I don't recall ever seeing that on a white tub of fresh beef liver, so I assume it must be sliced by someone in a non frozen state.:ermm:

just the thought of liver however it is cut, makes me green. :(

Interesting. I never had problem cutting liver. I think it's because one year I was helping in the camp kitchen, and because liver is so cheap they fed us kids, well I was an older teen at the time, liver the whole summer long, and i had to cut it up, mostly for "beef" strogonoff. I guess I learned then.

Interesting. I never had problem cutting liver. I think it's because one year I was helping in the camp kitchen, and because liver is so cheap they fed us kids, well I was an older teen at the time, liver the whole summer long, and i had to cut it up, mostly for "beef" strogonoff. I guess I learned then.

So, what's your trick for dealing with the wiggling and jiggling?

Back
Top Bottom