"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Liver & Onions

Does anyone have a good recipe for liver and onions?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I make sure I caramelize my sliced onions, not with vinegar/sugar mixture but just on their own. What you have to do is not salt them and keep the temperature high enough to evaporate the liquid they produce. Keep stirring and be patient, they will eventually brown.

I just flour, salt, pepper, and saute my liver in a pan. If it's an extremely thick piece I will finish it in the oven. I know, not very creative.

Someone I'm sure will come along with a more creative recipe.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
are you talking Beef liver here as it`s in the beef section or the more common Pigs or Lambs liver ?

all I rem is that you`re not suposed to Over cook them, and the onions are best fried first in the pan, and then add the liver to it when the onions are nearly done.
the other was layers of onion and liver in a casserole dish, with a stock added and then let to cook slowly in the oven.

I can`t give anymore detail as I can`t stand liver or kidneys in anyway at all.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy
Does anyone have a good recipe for liver and onions?
Only to add bacon to it.
Half the bacon rashers and grill with diced onion in a shallow pan. Remove and drain
Coat the liver with flour and grill lightly in the bacon/onion residue. Remove and drain.
We then make a gravy in the pan, place all of the engredients back in the pan and cover with the gravy and simmer for a few minutes.
Serve with mashed potatoes and greens.
I hope that helps you
Old 01-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
are you talking Beef liver here as it`s in the beef section or the more common Pigs or Lambs liver ?

all I rem is that you`re not suposed to Over cook them, and the onions are best fried first in the pan, and then add the liver to it when the onions are nearly done.
the other was layers of onion and liver in a casserole dish, with a stock added and then let to cook slowly in the oven.

I can`t give anymore detail as I can`t stand liver or kidneys in anyway at all.
I don't eat liver anymore myself, but my mother used to make a mean liver and onions. She insisted on using calves' liver instead of beef liver, saying that it was milder and more tender. I'd not thought about pork or lamb liver.

Here's a good description of the differences. I don't recommend clicking on it, however, if a picture of raw liver might turn your stomach.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I do agree with YT. I prepare liver in the frying pan essentially the way he mentioned. I saute the onions first, bring them to the desired agree of doneness without burning them, add the liver, seasoning (light soya sauce and pepper for me), a bit of water and stirfry briefly.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Master Chef

I have to admit that beef &/or calves liver is one of the very few foods I've always hated. I do, however, like pigs liver & chicken livers.

But one time, my mom made a terrific dish with calves liver that I really enjoyed & completely cleaned up - definitely the 1st time in my young life - lol!! She sauteed the liver with sliced onions & mushrooms & served it in a sour cream sauce - sort of like a Liver Stroganoff.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
or the more common Pigs or Lambs liver ?
I think that statement would depend on where you live. I have never seen pig's liver or lamb's liver in a store here - strictly beef/calf.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
that`s interesting then, if I wanted calf/beef then I would have to ask my butcher to get it in for me, but pigs or lambs I can get all day long, IIRC Chicken Livers for Pate are also easy to get hold of.

the only reason I can`t eat it is because I have Gout, I love the smell of it cooking though :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
Head Chef

lambs liver is lovely, and much, much cheaper than calves liver in the UK, but calves liver is supreme. I don't do much different to kitchenelf. Occasionally I use bacon, and I often deglaze the pan with what ever is around and make a gravy with that. I love calves liver, but cannot often afford it. I've never tried pigs liver, how does it compare in taste to the others?

Tags
None