"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Liver, Not Leather

I love beef liver, fried, this way:

Marinate liver slices in milk for about 15 minutes. No more or you end up with mush.

While liver is marinating, cook some bacon. Remove bacon and saute sliced onions in bacon fat.

While onions are cooking, dredge liver in flour, s&p, or flour and Panko.

Remove onions and fry liver in remaining bacon fat. Add some regular cooking oil or EVOO if necessary.

I fry about 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute on the other side at a medium high temperature.

Its best to only have one batch of liver as the oil gets black bits on a second batch.

How do you cook your liver?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Dredge in flour, fry in bacon grease.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Bacon, then onions & mushrooms in the bacon fat. I triple dredge the liver, no marinating. My dredge is flour, salt and pepper. I allow the liver to soak up the first dredge and then re-dredge, a second soak up and then a third dredge, it gives a nice crunchy texture. I use two pans with the onion and mushroom scented bacon fat, we tend to cook and eat at least a pound of liver in one sitting. I usually make a cream gravy for mashed potatoes to go with it. I need to go buy some liver now.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Bacon, then onions & mushrooms in the bacon fat. I triple dredge the liver, no marinating. My dredge is flour, salt and pepper. I allow the liver to soak up the first dredge and then re-dredge, a second soak up and then a third dredge, it gives a nice crunchy texture. I use two pans with the onion and mushroom scented bacon fat, we tend to cook and eat at least a pound of liver in one sitting. I usually make a cream gravy for mashed potatoes to go with it. I need to go buy some liver now.

That cream gravy was the clincher! I gotta pick up some liver!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Hey.. I just did liver tonight, though it was calves liver.

I did a mess of red onion in EVOO and butter.

Lightly floured the liver (with S&P) and let it cook. They were nice thick piece so I reduced the heat and let them cook a little longer. De glazed with white wine, reduced, a bit of sherry vinegar (usually I use balsamic but we are out ) Liver and onions back in the pan to keep warm until Kathleen got home (she was supposed to be home earlier than she was).
Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Now you guys have me wanting liver too. I will have to find a good butcher. Every time I buy liver at the super market (any of the ones where I trust the meat department), I get unevenly sliced liver. I hate that. It's so hard to cook it right when one end of a slice needs a total of 2 minutes and the other end needs 5.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Executive Chef

yes needs to be evenly sliced, and fresh not frozen. I cook it much as you do Zhizara. I also like it in a tomato sauce. The acids in the tomato make the "livery" flavor vanish.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:17 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
yes needs to be evenly sliced, and fresh not frozen. I cook it much as you do Zhizara. I also like it in a tomato sauce. The acids in the tomato make the "livery" flavor vanish.
Years ago we had an Italian restaurant in town that made chicken livers in tomato sauce. People used to go crazy for it. I have never seen it on a menu since.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:17 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

A simple dredge of flour, sea salt. no pepper. (Not in my diet.) Saute' LOTS of Vidalia onions (when in season) until soft. Saute' liver in lite olive oil with butter or vegetable oil on low heat. EVOO is too expensive and saved for table use. No bacon or any other additives. Trying to keep cholesterol count in the safe range.

NOTE: I prefer Greek olive oil, then Spanish olive oil. I find olive oils from Italy to be on the bitter side. Have not experiemented with California brands. When reading labels, most of them are mixed with imported Italian oils. I'd like to be able to find a label that is completely U.S. native.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Executive Chef

After the way my Mom abused liver, it took me many years to even try it again. My Mom's method was to fry the breaded liver for 30 minutes on the first side and then up to an hour on the second side. Rare meat was not allowed in my house when I was growing up. The liver was so tough and dry that it was like torture trying to eat it. Truly nasty.

Now, I only eat calf's liver and cook it just like Zhizara, a total cooking time of perhaps 5 minutes. Still rare in the middle and so tender you can cut it with a fork. Piled high with sauteed onions with a side of mashed with cream gravy.

It's been a long, long time since I had this. I do try to watch my cholesterol, and sadly, liver is one of the foods I've almost given up.

Tags
None