Looking for a Pot Roast Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yakuta

Head Chef
My husband is an avid fan of pot roast. Since I am not a huge red meat fan ( I always lean in favor of fish or chicken) I had never tried pot roast until last week.

The meat was very tender (took a tiny bite) and I absolutely was bowled over by the gravy. It was deep, rich and full of flavor. I had a bite with some mashed potatoes and I enjoyed it tremendously.

Can someone please share their tried and true pot roast recipe that I can surprise my husband with.

I also need to know the best cut of meat for making a pot roast. As I indicated I am pretty ignorant when it comes to making this Americana classic or beef in general so go easy on me please.

I will post mine at a later date as others will surely do better than I, but I need to tell you..........that asking an American for a potroast or a BBQ recipe is akin to asking an Italian for a sauce recipe. They vary BROADLY from state to state, reigon to region, and coast to coast, and ALL points in-between.

Yakuta:

This is my adaptation of a pot roast recipe from Jacques Pepin's repertoire. I make it in my 7-quart Le Crueset.

Andy M.

Pot Roast

5 Lb Boneless Chuck Roast
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
2-3 Tb Canola or Vegetable Oil
2 C Onion-chopped to 1” (8 Oz.)
1 1/2 C Tomato, cored, 1” pieces
2 Bay Leaves
6 Thyme Sprigs (or 1 tsp dry)
1 1/2 C White Wine
1/2 C Water
1 Lb White Boiling Onions
1 Lb Baby Carrots
1/2 tsp Salt
2 C Peas
¼ C White Wine
2 Tb Flour (for thickening)
1 Tb Parsley (for garnish)

Preheat the oven to 300º F.

Season the roast on all sides with the salt and pepper.

Heat a 6-7 quart dutch oven or cassarole on high heat and add the oil. Sear the meat on all sides. About 3 minutes per side. Remove any excess oil.

Arrange the onion, tomato, bay leaves and thyme around the meat and add the wine and water. Bring the liquid quickly to a boil, cover the pan and place it in the oven. Cook for 3 hours or until the meat is tender.

Remove the pot from the oven. Remove the meat and strain the liquid back into the pot, squeezing the vegetables to get all the juice out. Discard the vegetables.

Arrange the onions, and carrots around the roast and season with salt. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover and return to the oven. Cook for another 45 minutes, or until the roast is fork tender and the vegetables are soft but retain their shape.

Place the pot on the stovetop and add the peas. Simmer for two to three minutes. Remove the meat to a serving platter and cover with foil.

Adjust the seasonings and thicken the liquid with the flour dissolved in white wine stirred into the liquid gradually.

Serve with mashed potato.

"Happy Cooking"

Last edited:
Andy, thanks for sharing your recipe. It sounds great. Any ideas what can be substituted for wine without foregoing the flavor. I know alcohol cooks off but I don't use alcohol in general (any kind). Can I use beef or chicken stock instead with maybe a touch of lemon juice.

Yakuta said:
Andy, thanks for sharing your recipe. It sounds great. Any ideas what can be substituted for wine without foregoing the flavor. I know alcohol cooks off but I don't use alcohol in general (any kind). Can I use beef or chicken stock instead with maybe a touch of lemon juice.

I'd recommend some stock or broth to make up most of the liquid and a splash or two of vinegar to brighten the flavor. You could go with a red wine vinegar or balsamic.

Yep never thought of vinegar, that sounds good. I will give it a try thxs again for sharing a classic recipe.

I found a recipe out on the internet and it is the only way we eat roast anymore. Give it a try.

1 Beef Roast
1/2 cup of water
1 packet of Ranch Dressing Mix
1 packet of Italian Dressing Mix
1 packet of Brown Gravy Mix

Put roast in crock pot, pour water around the base. Sprinkle all 3 seasoning packets over the roast. Cook for 6-7 hours on low. Remvoe roast to cutting board and let sit 15 minutes. Slice thickly across the grain (electric knife works best).

Thats it. It makes this really great tasting gravy too. Great on Mashed Potatos. Doesn't taste at all like salad dressing.

Hope you enjoy.
:)

I never add vinegar or wine to mine, I will add beef broth and maybe a can of cream of mushroom soup along with garlic, onions and celery. I add large cut potatoes and carrots about an hour before serving. Save the drippings to make gravy.

I have had excellent results with this Emeril recipe:

Garlic Studded Pot Roast

1 (4 to 5-pound) sirloin tip roast, netted or tied at 1-inch intervals
10 cloves garlic, peeled and halved lengthwise, plus 4 to 6 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon Essence, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup dry red wine
3 tablespoons tomato paste
4 large carrots, scrubbed
2 stalks celery, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
2 medium yellow onions, peeled and quartered
1 pound small new potatoes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup beef stock, or canned low-sodium beef broth
2 bay leaves

With a small, sharp knife, make 30 (1 1/2-inch deep) slits around the outside of the roast. Insert the half cloves of garlic into the slits. Rub the roast with 1 tablespoon of the Essence, 1 teaspoon of the black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of the salt.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the roast and sear on all sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from the pan. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the tomato paste and 1 cup of water. Add the tomato paste mixture to the red wine and cook for 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large roasting pan or Dutch oven, alternate the carrots and celery flat on the bottom of the pot. Place the bay leaves on the vegetables. Scatter the onions, potatoes, and garlic over the bottom. (The vegetables will form a "nest" on which the roast will be placed.) Place the roast on top of the vegetables. Add the red wine mixture and the stock. Cover the roasting pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Uncover the pot roast, baste with the pan juices, and lower the heat to 350 degrees F. Cover the roast and continue cooking until the meat is completely tender and begins to fall apart, 2 to 2 1/2 hours, uncovering and basting each hour. Remove from the oven, uncover, and baste. Let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Serve each portion of the carved roast with onion quarters, new potatoes, 1 carrot, and 1 piece of celery. Spoon the pan juices over the meat and vegetables, and serve.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

Yield: about 2/3 cup

Back
Top Bottom