"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think that CWS and I did introduce Conrad last summer when we bought half of him. We didn't name him. The people who raised him did. He wasn't a steer. He was a young bull.
Not TL's fault nor mine that Conrad rump roast didn't show up in a Google search. As TL said, neither one of us named him, we just bought the meat, and what lovely meat it is.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
I think that CWS and I did introduce Conrad last summer when we bought half of him. We didn't name him. The people who raised him did. He wasn't a steer. He was a young bull.
Yes, You did as I remember. I think it was the name that threw people a bit. Glad you two didn't name him. I feel it's rather rude to eat someone you're on first name terms with. (1st law of the Cannibal islands )

Old 03-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Yes, You did as I remember. I think it was the name that threw people a bit. Glad you two didn't name him. I feel it's rather rude to eat someone you're on first name terms with. (1st law of the Cannibal islands )
Yes, I'm sure it was the name. I'm sorry for the confusion. I thought it was obvious from previous comments, but I guess it wasn't.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Ack! Gotta get that roast in the oven and I have a question. The oven is heating now. I'm putting a rack across a square, Pyrex baking dish. I'll put the roast on the rack and catch the drippings in the baking dish. How do I keep the drippings from burning?

Should I put some coconut oil on the bottom? Ghee? Water? Vegi stock?

edit at 17h29: I just stuck it in the oven with a bit of water in the baking dish.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #25
Senior Cook

I like to cook rump roast in the slow cooker as well. I'll rub it with Worcestershire sauce, flake sea salt & pepper & herbs de Provence - then add the carrots, potatoes, and sliced mushrooms. Top off with some wine and enough beef stock or water to cover roast. Cook low and slow for 6-8 hours and it comes out so tender

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelinde View Post
I like to cook rump roast in the slow cooker as well. I'll rub it with Worcestershire sauce, flake sea salt & pepper & herbs de Provence - then add the carrots, potatoes, and sliced mushrooms. Top off with some wine and enough beef stock or water to cover roast. Cook low and slow for 6-8 hours and it comes out so tender
Yeah, but that's a pot roast.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Are you saying that she dry roasts in the slow cooker? Would have never thought of that.
I did that with a small pork roast. It came out so tender and juicy.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I did that with a small pork roast. It came out so tender and juicy.
You dry roasted it in a slow cooker?

I guess that wouldn't heat up the house as much as using the oven. Are there other advantages?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
You dry roasted it in a slow cooker?

I guess that wouldn't heat up the house as much as using the oven. Are there other advantages?
I had to go to work. Didn't want to leave it in the oven. I had a 13 y. o. at home. So I used the slow cooker. He came home from school and didn't even notice it. By the time I got home, it was completely cooked. There was a small amount of juice on the bottom. Not enough for gravy making. The pork roast was done to perfection. So tender. And juicy. My upstairs neighbor had a piece and fell in love with it. She went out and bought herself a small SC the next day. I still do it on occasion. And the SC was so easy to clean.

Tags
easy, other, recipe, roast, rump roast

Looking for Easy Recipe for Rump Roast I have defrosted a 1.5 kg (~3.3 lbs) rump roast. It is well marbled. There are just two of us. I would like EASY suggestions of what to do with it. It could be for two separate meals, one to be made tomorrow. I was thinking stew for about half a kilo and roast beef or pot roast for the other kilo. Is this a piece of meat that would make a good roast beef, since it is nicely marbled? Any suggestions for other recipes or help with roast beef? I have never made roast beef, but I am champ at pot roast. 3 stars 1 reviews