Looking for Easy Recipe for Rump Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have defrosted a 1.5 kg (~3.3 lbs) rump roast. It is well marbled. There are just two of us. I would like EASY suggestions of what to do with it. It could be for two separate meals, one to be made tomorrow.

I was thinking stew for about half a kilo and roast beef or pot roast for the other kilo. Is this a piece of meat that would make a good roast beef, since it is nicely marbled?

Any suggestions for other recipes or help with roast beef? I have never made roast beef, but I am champ at pot roast.

I like the idea of roast beef. Make gravy from the drippings and have open faced sandwiches with gravy as a second meal.

Coat the roast with dried onion soup mix, 500F for 5 minutes, reduce to 200F for 1 hour per pound, checking for internal of 125F, pull, foil and rest 10 to 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Any idea how long or what temp if I want some of it well done? I would love it rare, but Stirling won't eat rare meat and isn't very happy if there is any pink at all.

Any idea how long or what temp if I want some of it well done? I would love it rare, but Stirling won't eat rare meat and isn't very happy if there is any pink at all.

We don't eat well done roast beef. I guess you could let it go until the internal temp is 5 degrees below well done, then pull, foil and rest. Heck I don't even know what temp is considered well done. You could do it at a higher cooking temp, maybe 350F, from the start and keep track of the internal temp. Cook it as I described, cut off a portion and put it back in at a higher temp, maybe.

Are you up for Southwestern style?

Beef Barbacoa

Ingredients:

· 1 tsp kosher salt

· ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper

· 1 tsp Mexican oregano

· ¾ tsp ground cumin

· ¾ tsp chili powder

· 2¼ pounds boneless chuck, trimmed and cut into large pieces

· 2 Tbs cooking oil

· 2 chipotle peppers

· 1 Tbs adobo sauce from chipotle peppers

· 1 cup beef broth

· 1 tsp garlic, minced

Instructions:

Preheat oven to300°.

Put the first 5 ingredients into a small bowl and whisk to combine. Rub the spice mixture evenly over the beef, wrap it in plastic and refrigerate it for from 4 hours toovernight. Remove the beef from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature.

Heat a largeDutch oven over high heat. Pour the 2 Tbs cooking oil into Dutch oven and heat to shimmering. When the cooking oil starts to shimmer, add the beef and brown on all sides. Add the beef broth and garlic to the Dutch oven and deglaze it. Stir in the chipotles in adobo sauce, cover the Dutch oven and place it in the oven at 300°F for 3 hours, until the beef is very tender. Cool to room temperature.

Remove the beef from the Dutch oven and pour the liquid into a fat separator. Shred the beef with 2 forks. Return the beef and the defatted liquid to the Dutch oven. Bring the shredded beef and liquid to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer mixture,stirring occasionally, until all of the liquid evaporates. Reduce the heat to medium, and sauté the beef until it is crisp on the edges. Transfer the beef to a serving bowl.

Last edited:
SLB, that sounds good, but there is far more work than I can manage at the moment. I also don't have some of those ingredients at home and I'm stuck in the house until the weather gets better or my toe heals so I can wear boots. I can manage flipflops at the moment, but it's too cold.

TL, I cooked a Conrad rump roast using the turn off the oven method and let it sit. I took it out, cut off the portion for the DH, nuked his to get it to be "well done." I can't remember the temp or the time / lb (someone should be able to help here because I'm sure the forum is where I got the information). I kept it simple--s&p, stabbed some garlic in it, rubbed some rosemary on it, and made gravy from the drippings in the pan. It was lovely.

TL, I cooked a Conrad rump roast using the turn off the oven method and let it sit. I took it out, cut off the portion for the DH, nuked his to get it to be "well done." I can't remember the temp or the time / lb (someone should be able to help here because I'm sure the forum is where I got the information). I kept it simple--s&p, stabbed some garlic in it, rubbed some rosemary on it, and made gravy from the drippings in the pan. It was lovely.
I found Kayelle's description of how to do it for a standing rib roast, http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/prime-rib-91885-2.html#post1403744

Oops, it's in the fridge, it won't be room temperature in time for tonight's supper. I think I might try http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/tatt-style-bourguignon-82094.html#post1193916 for tonight with about 500 grams of meat and do the roast tomorrow with the rest, unless there are other suggestions that appeal.

And yes, it's a Conrad rump roast.

I found Kayelle's description of how to do it for a standing rib roast, http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/prime-rib-91885-2.html#post1403744

Oops, it's in the fridge, it won't be room temperature in time for tonight's supper. I think I might try http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/tatt-style-bourguignon-82094.html#post1193916 for tonight with about 500 grams of meat and do the roast tomorrow with the rest, unless there are other suggestions that appeal.

And yes, it's a Conrad rump roast.
I figured that! :LOL::LOL:

If I recall, rump roast is from the bottom round. It is well exercised, has good beef flavor, and can be as chewy as a leather belt. That being said, it lends itself well to slow, and low braising, or cooking in a slow cooker. But it can also be roasted as craigC suggested. But to make it tender enough to eat, it must be sliced against the grain, in deli-thin slices, as for a sandwich.
What I would do would be to pre-slice the roast into 1/8 inch slices, Lightly salt the slices, place them into a pressure cooker (slow cooker is also and option), cover with just enough water to immerse the meat, add sliced mushrooms, and sliced onion. Then cover, bring up to pressure (about 11 lbs. should be right) and cook for 30 minutes. Remove the pressure from the PC, remove the lid, and place the meat onto a platter. Make gravy from the pan juices. Sever as open-faced beef sandwiches, or with smashed spuds.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, thanks for the idea, but that's a lot of work, and I am simply not up to it at the moment. I also don't own a pressure cooker.

This particular rump roast is nicely marbled, free range beef. I am probably going to try dry roasting, since CWS had good luck with that and this roast is from the same critter, Conrad.

This particular rump roast is nicely marbled, free range beef. I am probably going to try dry roasting, since CWS had good luck with that and this roast is from the same critter, Conrad.[/QUOTE]

Here I am using my Etch - A - Sketch search method Google AND Bing trying to find what a Conrad roast beast is, and for once, neither is giving away its secret info :LOL::ROFLMAO:

The last time I made a roast, I think it was an eye of round, not a pot roast, put on a rack in a roasting pan, after rubbing it with Worcestershire sauce, insert some garlic clove slivers, plenty of cracked black pepper, and snipped rosemary ( use dry if fresh isn't available. I think a splash of wine would have been good, but I don't usually have any, so I did not do this. It roasted to about 140 F / still a little pink, you may want to roast longer, so bake at 325 and about 25 minutes / pound until done. Maybe lob off part of it sooner and remove from oven, if you like it a bit more rare, and Hubs likes his well done.

...this roast is from the same critter, Conrad.
Here I am using my Etch - A - Sketch search method Google AND Bing trying to find what a Conrad roast beast is, and for once, neither is giving away its secret info :LOL::ROFLMAO:...
Same here, Whisk! Taxy, next time you name your steer, could you please introduce us properly to your entree?

My sister makes a really good roast beef. She browns it on all sides in a bit of oil then puts it in the slow cooker with only a package of onion soup and soy sauce. Cook to desired temperature. There is enough juice from the roast to make au jus, or thicken for gravy.

Same here, Whisk! Taxy, next time you name your steer, could you please introduce us properly to your entree?
I think that CWS and I did introduce Conrad last summer when we bought half of him. We didn't name him. The people who raised him did. He wasn't a steer. He was a young bull.

My sister makes a really good roast beef. She browns it on all sides in a bit of oil then puts it in the slow cooker with only a package of onion soup and soy sauce. Cook to desired temperature. There is enough juice from the roast to make au jus, or thicken for gravy.
Are you saying that she dry roasts in the slow cooker? Would have never thought of that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom