"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Top w/ sauerkraut and make like brats. Salsa plus whatever for Mexican dogs. Google Sonora dogs not Chihuahua's.

Slice and mix with a warm German potato salad. Omit the bacon in the potato salad.

A plain regular dog is good. Yellow ball park mustard, glow in the dark green relish and chopped onion. Spiff it up. Grilled dogs. They make a spicier less sweet pickle relish these days, pour a couple glubs cider or red wine vinegar to marinate the chopped onion, or use a caramelized onion "jam"<< there's a recipe in the DC search box that either Pac or RockL make and I'm sure I copied since I made it last summer. Can't find the recipe in my files right now?.

A couple quick pulses in the food processor, mix w/ mayo and a little pickle relish. Voila'-- ham salad spread.

I know you already mentioned split pea soup. Google German, Dutch, Swedish or Canadian pea soup. I think the latter two use yellow peas.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
Head Chef

My favorite ho dogs are deep fried. They used to serve them at our local golf club. I miss them.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Ok, so here's the deal.
Yes Im still a vegetarian, But I've come across a good brand of vegetarian hot dogs, that are pretty good ( in both texture and taste, which is almost impossible to find). Although I havent eaten real hot dogs in 25 + years, I can still vividly remember how they taste.

Thanks in advance,

Larry
Seriously? You found a good one? Who makes it? SHARE!!

This is a pet peeve of mine - veggies dogs are too salty, too dry and well, basically horrid....
Old 02-18-2014, 12:14 AM   #14
Head Chef

For a snack I like to cut them into small pieces and stick one piece in the middle of mini muffin sized corn bread muffins then bake the muffins. I also like to put hot dogs in a batch of baked beans. For a funny kid treat...stick several sticks of dry spaghetti lengthwise through the hotdogs then boil them till the pasta is cooked. The kids never figure out how you did it. You can serve them with marinara sauce for dipping.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #15
Proud American

You can fry these, then cut them into pieces and put these into grits, polenta, beans, or macaroni and cheese.

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-18-2014, 05:34 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I've made this before and it isn't bad Louisiana Style Lil Smokies Recipe :: Hot Cajun Recipes
You could leave out the bacon and substitute the veggie dogs in place of the lil smokies. Maybe grill them first to give them something extra.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Hot Dogs and kraut over potatoes...

One of my favorites! Topped with ketchup. Every time I make pork and sauerkraut I throw in a couple hot dogs so I can have this. It reminds me of my late father, who also loved this.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
For a snack I like to cut them into small pieces and stick one piece in the middle of mini muffin sized corn bread muffins then bake the muffins. I also like to put hot dogs in a batch of baked beans. For a funny kid treat...stick several sticks of dry spaghetti lengthwise through the hotdogs then boil them till the pasta is cooked. The kids never figure out how you did it. You can serve them with marinara sauce for dipping.

Now I'm going to have fun with my grandson!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #19
Master Chef

Site Administrator

So first you take a hog dog.

You encase in pork sausage. Use bacon to make a mesh and wrap around. Once you have that you take a pork loin and butterfly so you can stuff it with the hot dog. All that goes into a chicken with sausage stuffing to fill out the cavity. Deep fry in rendered beef fat.

Go ahead and make that vegetarian...

Seriously though.. who makes a good vegetarian hot dog? I know people who want to know.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
So first you take a hog dog.

You encase in pork sausage. Use bacon to make a mesh and wrap around. Once you have that you take a pork loin and butterfly so you can stuff it with the hot dog. All that goes into a chicken with sausage stuffing to fill out the cavity. Deep fry in rendered beef fat.

Go ahead and make that vegetarian...

Seriously though.. who makes a good vegetarian hot dog? I know people who want to know.

I like your recipe, Frank, LOL, but I would also like to know about the good veggie hot dog. Hearing it from someone who eats them sure beats buying and trying all of them!!

Tags
recipe

Looking for Hot Dog Recipes Ok, so here's the deal. Yes Im still a vegetarian, But I've come across a good brand of vegetarian hot dogs, that are pretty good ( in both texture and taste, which is almost impossible to find). Although I havent eaten real hot dogs in 25 + years, I can still vividly remember how they taste. Having this new opportunity to eat and cook with hot dogs, Ive already done the basics with them ( hot dogs in a bun with various toppings, cut up in chili , cut up in pea soup, pigs in a blanket . So, If I posted this in vegetarian forum, it might get over looked. Im looking for " REAL Recipes" that may use hot dogs, I ll worry about converting them to vegetarian. That being said, wrapping them up in bacon doesnt help me much , cause the veggie bacon taste like crap and totally different consistency :lol: . So keep in mind that recipes that heavily rely on other meat products, in addition to the hot dog, may not be workable to me, Thanks in advance, Larry 3 stars 1 reviews