"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 02-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #21
Head Chef

No such thing! And why is this listed under beef? Just put it in your salad. I like Franks recipe!

Old 02-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hoffman
I've been making this for years. I thought I adapted this from a recipe, attributed to actor Walter Sleazak, in a Craig Claiborne, New York Times cookbook. But I just checked the original recipe, and I found that there is absolutely no resemblance, except for the fact that it has hotdogs. A mind plays tricks after 30 years of making something.

Franks and Beans Casserole

I package of hotdogs, cut up into bite-size pieces
I jar of B&M Baked Beans
I medium onion, sliced and microwaved for two minutes to soften
1/2 a pound of part-skim mozzarella, shredded
1 teaspoon dry Coleman's English mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons Pickapeppa sauce
Hot sauce to taste
Salt and pepper to taste.
8 one-inch by three-inch thin slices of Cheddar for garnish

Mix all the ingredients together, except for the Cheddar and place in a round, microwaveable, covered casserole. Microwave on high for four minutes, then turn 90 degrees and continue cooking for three more minutes. While the casserole is cooking turn on the broiler. Once the casserole is done, remove the top and place the Cheddar slices atop the the hotdog and bean mixture like the spokes of a wheel and then place the casserole under the broiler till the cheese bubbles and begins to turn brown.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That Pickapeppa sauce sure is nice. I just read that it comes in hotter versions.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
No such thing! And why is this listed under beef? Just put it in your salad. I like Franks recipe!
Did you read the first post? Here it is with the answers to your comment and question in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Ok, so here's the deal.
Yes Im still a vegetarian, But I've come across a good brand of vegetarian hot dogs, that are pretty good ( in both texture and taste, which is almost impossible to find). Although I havent eaten real hot dogs in 25 + years, I can still vividly remember how they taste.

Having this new opportunity to eat and cook with hot dogs, Ive already done the basics with them ( hot dogs in a bun with various toppings, cut up in chili , cut up in pea soup, pigs in a blanket .

So, If I posted this in vegetarian forum, it might get over looked. Im looking for " REAL Recipes" that may use hot dogs, I ll worry about converting them to vegetarian.

That being said, wrapping them up in bacon doesnt help me much , cause the veggie bacon taste like crap and totally different consistency . So keep in mind that recipes that heavily rely on other meat products, in addition to the hot dog, may not be workable to me,

Thanks in advance,

Larry
Old 02-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #25
Sous Chef

perhaps someone could find LuckyTrim's post with ca. 200 pages of hot dog ideas.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hoffman
I didn't know there was a hotter version. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Just Google "Hot Dog Soup" and you will get a ton of recipes. From doing them in a crock pot to just making a casserole type soup. Just substitute your hot dogs for the meat ones.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #28
Master Chef

I have an E- file with all you'll ever need...........

Too large to attach here........... PM me your e-mail addy and I'll fire it off to you.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #29
Master Chef

Here's a link to a site that has a bunch of hot dog recipes, most of them requiring no other meat (chili can be veggie). Hot Dog Dinner Recipes | Yummly

Here's a recipe that just popped into my head, but that I have never made. But it sounds great in theory.
Ingredients:
1 cup peeled and grated russet potatoes (Use the large grater on your box greater)
1/4 cup ap flour
1 small egg
salt
pepper
sage
hot dogs
oil

Mix the shredded potato, flour, S&P, sage, and egg together. stir to combine. dry the outside of the hot dog. Spread out the potato mixture on waxed paper. Use the paper to help wrap it around a hot dog, including the ends. It should stick to itself. Deep fry until the potatoes are browned. Serve with cole slaw.

It sound great, if you can make it work. I believe the flour and egg should bind the potato shreds together enough. You might have to play with it though, to get everything just right.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Your basic list includes most of the things I had growing up except franks and beans.

The all time low in our house when I was a kid was having hotdog coins in sauce with spaghetti.

The "Poorman's meal" from Clara's Depression cooking series might be worth a try.

Great video and Lady..

Tags
recipe

Looking for Hot Dog Recipes Ok, so here's the deal. Yes Im still a vegetarian, But I've come across a good brand of vegetarian hot dogs, that are pretty good ( in both texture and taste, which is almost impossible to find). Although I havent eaten real hot dogs in 25 + years, I can still vividly remember how they taste. Having this new opportunity to eat and cook with hot dogs, Ive already done the basics with them ( hot dogs in a bun with various toppings, cut up in chili , cut up in pea soup, pigs in a blanket . So, If I posted this in vegetarian forum, it might get over looked. Im looking for " REAL Recipes" that may use hot dogs, I ll worry about converting them to vegetarian. That being said, wrapping them up in bacon doesnt help me much , cause the veggie bacon taste like crap and totally different consistency :lol: . So keep in mind that recipes that heavily rely on other meat products, in addition to the hot dog, may not be workable to me, Thanks in advance, Larry 3 stars 1 reviews