Looking for something new with ground beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hamburger Stroganoff

1 lb ground beef
1 med onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tb flour
1 tsp beef bouillion
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 oz can sliced mushrooms (or pre-saute your own, or leave them out like my husband makes me do :( )
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream

Cook and stir meat, onion and garlic, pour off fat. Mix in flour, bouillion, salt, pepper and mushroms.Add water and heat to boiling, reduce heat to simmer, simmer 10 min. Stir in sour cream, heating just until hot, Remove from heat. Serve over buttered egg noodles or rice.

Thanks now I just came up with dinner tonight!

I may have to try this tonight, it looks delicious. :D

Something else I like to do with ground beef is American chop suey (I don't know if it's called other things in other places, but that's what I call it). My version is fairly simple--cook a pound of macaroni, cook a pound of ground beef (with chopped-up onion if you like it, but I don't) and drain the grease, add a 26-ounce jar of pasta sauce and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, then mix that all in with the macaroni. It's enough for the two of us with plenty of leftovers, so I'd guess it would serve four hungry adults.

Here's a recipe for bobotie - a South African dish of Cape Malay origin:
Soak 1 slice white bread in 125ml(4.5oz) milk,squeeze to remove milk and mix bread with 1kg(2 and 1/4lb) mince.Mix in 1 chopped onion,1/2cup seedless raisins,1/2 cup blanched almonds,1tbsp apricot jam,1tbsp fruit chutney, 5tsp lemon juice, 2tsp curry powder,1tsp turmeric and 2tsp salt. Brown the mixture in butter or oil and turn out into casserole dish.Beat 3 eggs together with 125ml milk (4.5oz) and pour over meat. Garnish with 2 bay leaves. Bake at 180C(350F,Gas mark 4) until set (about 50 minutes)

And if you're really hard up for ideas you can go with some old military standbys...

Creamed Ground Beef on Toast. (Pretty much another take on S-O-S).

And what goes by the name Yakisoba in Navy. (Basically it's Spagetti with meat and sauce... hold the sauce).

Not quite the best food... but cheap.
And I did eat quite a bit of creamed beef when I was young.

My Goulash

1½ pounds ground beef
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
2 cups water
2 cups cooked elbow macaroni, drained
(1 cup raw)
¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix

Preheat oven to 350°
I a large skillet, brown meat, drain fat. Stir in onion soup mix,
flour, tomato sauce, and water. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
Stir in macaroni. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 15 mins.(or until cheese is melted)

I cook the macaroni in it..just add a little extra water..and of course use more cheese. Sometimes I add onions.

Mexican Stuffed Shells

This recipe is one of my favorites. In fact, I have some ground beef that needs to be used and your request has given me some great ideas.

Mexican Stuffed Shells

12 jumbo pasta shells
1-lb. ground beef
1 ½ cups picante sauce (mild or medium, to taste)
1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1-4 oz. can chopped green chilies
1 ½ cups shredded Monterey jack cheese (6 oz.), divided

Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain well. Cook ground beef in a skillet, stirring occasionally to break up meat, until brown. Drain off fat.

In medium bowl, combine picante sauce, tomato sauce, broth, cumin, chili powder, mix well. Add ½ cup of the sauce mixture, chilies, and ½ cup of the cheese to beef. Mix well. Stuff shells with beef mixture. Spread half of the remaining sauce mixture in a 9x9 inch baking dish. Place stuffed shells in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce mixture over stuffed shells.

Bake, covered in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes, or until heated through. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Makes 4 servings.

Last edited:
Enchiladas!

Cook up ground beef, onions, a little garlic, salt and pepper to taste, a touch of chili powder if you have it, and some jalapenos (to your taste) in some olive or vegatable oil. Towards the end of the ground beef being cooked, add some corn. Black olives also if you like them. (I don't because I don't like olives but the person that taught me the recipe does)

Take some store bought enchilada sauce and dip burrito sized tortillas front and back. I use a pie plate because it's just about the perfect size. Place in a baking dish and fill with mixture. Add to this some cheese. I use a combo of Velveeta and chedder, use what you think you would like. Roll up like a burrito and repeat. Do this until your dish is filled up.

At this point I add some more enchilada sauce over the top as well as more cheese. Bake at about 400-450 degrees until the cheese on top is good and bubbly about 15-20 min. I like mine a little browned on top. Serve with sour cream and/or salsa.

I didn't do exact amount of ingredients because I never do it the same way twice. Use the amount that you feel would fit your taste :)

Recipe Correction

This recipe is one of my favorites. In fact, I have some ground beef that needs to be used and your request has given me some great ideas.

Mexican Stuffed Shells

12 jumbo pasta shells
1-lb. ground beef
1 ½ cups picante sauce (mild or medium, to taste)
1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1-4 oz. can chopped green chilies
1 ½ cups shredded Monterey jack cheese (6 oz.), divided

Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain well. Cook ground beef in a skillet, stirring occasionally to break up meat, until brown. Drain off fat.

In medium bowl, combine picante sauce, tomato sauce, broth, cumin, chili powder, mix well. Add ½ cup of the sauce mixture, chilies, and ½ cup of the cheese to beef. Mix well. Stuff shells with beef mixture. Spread half of the remaining sauce mixture in a 9x9 inch baking dish. Place stuffed shells in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce mixture over stuffed shells.

Bake, covered in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes, or until heated through. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Makes 4 servings.

As I was making this for dinner tonight I realized that I had left out one of the ingredients in the ingredients list. It was the 1/2 cup of chicken broth or water. Sorry!!:rolleyes:

A family fav :)
Cornbread Pie

1 lb ground beef ( i usually use 1 1/2 lbs)
1 lrge onion
1 can tomato soup
2 cups water
1 t salt
¾ t pepper
3 Tbs chili powder
½ cup green pepper ( I use poblano)
1 can whole kernal corn (drained) or some frozen corn

Brown beef and onion in skillet, drain fat. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well and simmer for 15 minutes.
Cornbread Topping (can use a cornbread mix instead, like Corn Kits) (Jiffy is too sweet.)
¾ cup corn meal
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs flour
½ salt
1½ t baking powder
mix together well then add:
1 beaten egg
½ cup milk
1 Tbs oil

stir together lightly, dont over-beat.
Cover meat mixture with batter ( it rises back to the top when its done) and bake in a 350° for 20-25 mins, until cornbread is golden brown and done.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom