Looking for something new with ground beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
what can I make with ground beef other than taco, sloppy joe, burgers, meatballs and meatloaf??

Hamburger soup is a wonderful soup that is easy to make and that will warm you on a cold evening.

Ingredients:
1 lb. hamburger
2 stalks celery
2 potatoes
2 carrots
1 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
Salt
Pepper

Brown the hamburger, with a lid on the pan, and lightly season with salt and pepper. While the hamburger is browning, wash and slice the celery, and peel the potatoes, carrots and onions. Slice the veggies into bite-sized chunks. Peel and mince the garlic cloves.

When the ground beef is cooked through, drain the broth into a bowl, cover, and put in the fridge for later use (when ready to use, lift the hardened fat from the top and you have a wonderful broth for whaterver). Place the ground beef and minced garlic into a three quart pot with the cut veggies. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Turn heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Season with sal tand pepper to taste. Serve.

You can add other veggies as you desire to this soup.

Another great and unconventional use for ground beef is to use it in a meat pie. Again you are using the same ingredients as in the above recipe. But this time, After the meat has browned, add the veggies to the same pan, cover, and cook for ten minutes. Place the mixture into a pie shell, cover with pie-crust, and bake for 40 minutes. Serve with ketchup or gravy.

You can substitute ground beef for the meat in Cornish pasties as well. Again, use the same ingredients as above, with the addition of diced rutabegga. Place a generous four tbs. of the cooked mixture into a 9-inch circle of pie dough. Fold the pastrie in half and roll the edges inward until the pastie is slightly stretched by the filling. Bake for 30 mintues at 350' F. Serve with ketchup or gravy.

You can add various seasonings to ground beef and make your own beef sausages. You might have to add extra fat to the mixture though. Google search "Ground Beef Sausage Recipes" and you will get many recipes.

Use a mixture of ground beef and tomatoes to make slumgullion, or goulash (not the real thing of course). You can also combine ground beef, cheese, and mushrooms with a bit of cream and garlic and serve over noodles or rice.

I could go on, but you get the picture. Use your imagination and you just might surprize yourself.;)

You cn even use ground beef to model things, like you would clay. Then bake it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Bolognese for one, any stuffed vegetable, cobbler, cabbage or lettuce rolls.

I used to have a great book of mince recipes, unfortunately thrown away in the fire debris.

Just remeber a great dish - bobotie, a South African spicy meatloaf type dish with a creamy topping. Don't have recipe anymore but googling should find one.

Sautee some onions, garlic, green peppers, corn, and ground beef. add salt, pepper, cayenne, ground sage, and a little dry basil.

Serve it over some mashed potatoes with lots of cream and butter in them.

Did anyone say chili?

How about SOS? (Brown ground beef and either make hamburger gravy or drain the burger and add to a white sauce. Season. Eat over toast, biscuits or mashed potatoes.)

Salisbury Steaks are good, as are plain hamburger steaks, seasoned with garlic and Worchester sauce, wrapped with a piece of bacon, and cooked as you would a steak.

Dirty Rice is another good way to use burger. There are lots of recipes...just choose one that sounds good to you and use hamburger as the meat. I have eaten it fixed this way by a dear auntie of my Cajun ex-husband, and it was very good. (I don't think she knew how to fix anything that wasn't good, even when she barely had a nickel in her pocket.)

A picadillo, that wonderful Cuban dish.

With olives and raisins.

Nothing better.

We love hamburger gravy ... brown hamburger with onion and mushrooms, sprinkle with 3 tbl. of flour per pound of hamburger, stir until flour is browned, add 3 cups of beef broth (more or less depending on how think you want it), stir until smooth and thickened, serve over mashed potatoes, egg noodles or rice.

it's 2 versions but basically the same thing

2 very close versions of Carpathian Cabbage
Had a discussion going on the board with someone about this comfort food. I decided to post my versions and maybe she'll post hers too.
Carpathian Cabbage1
1 pound ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 sm head cabbage
1 can tomato soup undiluted
1 tablespoon garlic flavored vinegar, or regular vinegar with garlic powder added to it
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
Brown beef in large skillet pan and stir in the chopped onion sauté until tender. Quarter cabbage, chop fine to a shred. Drain fat from beef and stir in tomato soup and rest of ingredients except cabbage. Stir well, now add the cabbage and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes stirring occasionally. This goes nicely over steamed brown or white rice or buttered noodles.

Carpathian Cabbage 2
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
½ cup chopped onion
1 small head of cabbage, coarsely
shredded
1 can tomato soup
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Brown meat in bacon drippings, breaking up meat as it cooks; push to one side of pan. Stir in onion and sauté till soft. Stir in cabbage along with soup, vinegar, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling; cover and simmer 25 minutes. 4-6 servings.

What about plain old spaghetty?

Stuffed cabage, or the lazy version of it. Meat ball soup. Pirogy.

Do you need more? I'm sure the list can go on. But what do you have in mind?

ended up sauteeing some peppers onions and mushrooms added the beef. Also boiled some instant rice and added that. I came out pretty good. It was a good exercise in cleaning out the fridge/pantry.

A picadillo, that wonderful Cuban dish.

With olives and raisins.

Nothing better.
Aunt Dot, I've never heard of a picadillo so I googled it and wow, it sounds wonderful. I love olives and I love raisins. I've never been fond of ground beef but this I think I'd like. All the recipes I saw showed it served with or over white rice. Is that how you serve it?

Hamburger Stroganoff

1 lb ground beef
1 med onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tb flour
1 tsp beef bouillion
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 oz can sliced mushrooms (or pre-saute your own, or leave them out like my husband makes me do :( )
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream

Cook and stir meat, onion and garlic, pour off fat. Mix in flour, bouillion, salt, pepper and mushroms.Add water and heat to boiling, reduce heat to simmer, simmer 10 min. Stir in sour cream, heating just until hot, Remove from heat. Serve over buttered egg noodles or rice.

Thanks now I just came up with dinner tonight!

You can make a version of shepherd's pie with it.

I'm sorry, this is a pet rant of mine :blush: if its beef its COTTAGE PIE!:D because sheperds don't have cows ;)

lasagne might be another obvious choice? Or you could make beef pasties? There are some good suggestions in this thread.:chef:

Oh I forgot I also make chimichangas w/ picadillo... raisins and apples in them also. The kids actually like them too!
I will go find the recipe if you like, I need to keep my cookbooks closer to the 'puter than the kitchen I think sometimes!

oh, did anyone menton stuffed vegetables yet? I LOVE mince stuff maow, and peppers! I'm thinking mince stuffed onion squash would be good too!

Back
Top Bottom