"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #21
Master Chef

Caslon, let me add that the proper slicing of a Tri Tip is mandatory, no matter the method of cooking. It must be sliced thin across the grain.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #22
Master Chef

Good point, Kay. Also Caslon, the grain doesn't run uniformly throughout the tri tip - it changes direction.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's a document I saved a while ago on tri-tips. Carving directions are at the end.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tri-Tip Info.pdf (736.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 10-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #24
Master Chef

So true Cheryl, and thanks for sharing those valuable instructions Andy.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #25
Head Chef

I saved that pdf, thanks. I've got some more stores to check for tri-tips.
Stater Brothers and Albertsons.

Side note: A Washington state chain called Haggen's bought up 12 Albertsons stores in my area (So.Calif) recently and now they've filed for bankruptcy! All 12 large supermarkets to close by Thanksgiving. Thanks a lot Safeway...who acquired Albertsons then turned right around and sold them to Haggen's. A scene right out of the movie Wall Street and Gordon Gecko. Luckily there are still 2 Albertsons that are family owned but I have to drive 20 miles to them. No word yet on who's going to take on all 12 closed stores. Haggen's drove customers away with their bad service. Ralphs and Vons have spoiled us with their excellent service. Haggen's couldn't cut the mustard with customer service. Haggen's is ruined now as a store chain that started in 1958 in Washington state. They bit off more than they could chew. It's a shame all the way around. There was an Albertsons right down the street from me.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #26
Master Chef

I usually pick them up at Ralphs. They're always labeled as choice cuts.
Costco also sells choice cut tri tips, but of better quality and more expensive.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #27
Master Chef

Calson, I have good luck at Von's if you have one near. Von's had them on sale recently for $3.88/lb untrimmed, and $5.88/lb trimmed. I prefer to trim my own, although I usually remove a lb of fat leaving a 1/2 fat cap. I think there's more fat than that on the trimmed ones however. It's rare we ever purchase them not on sale.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #28
Head Chef

Tri-tips taper off towards the back quite a bit. I might slice off that part and treat it like a steak, keeping the thicker up front part for roasting.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:54 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I saved that pdf, thanks. I've got some more stores to check for tri-tips.
Stater Brothers and Albertsons.

Side note: A Washington state chain called Haggen's bought up 12 Albertsons stores in my area (So.Calif) recently and now they've filed for bankruptcy! All 12 large supermarkets to close by Thanksgiving. Thanks a lot Safeway...who acquired Albertsons then turned right around and sold them to Haggen's. A scene right out of the movie Wall Street and Gordon Gecko. Luckily there are still 2 Albertsons that are family owned but I have to drive 20 miles to them. No word yet on who's going to take on all 12 closed stores. Haggen's drove customers away with their bad service. Ralphs and Vons have spoiled us with their excellent service. Haggen's couldn't cut the mustard with customer service. Haggen's is ruined now as a store chain that started in 1958 in Washington state. They bit off more than they could chew. It's a shame all the way around. There was an Albertsons right down the street from me.
I know that Albertson's had been going downhill in the Denver area for a long time. I don't even know if there are any left there - haven't seen one in years. Safeway, King Soopers (Kroger), and Whole foods seem the most common.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:06 PM   #30
Master Chef

I don't shop at Albertson's around here at all. Most of their meats are labeled as select too, at least the ones I've shopped at.

Tags
roast