Maid rites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure do...DH just made some delicious ones last week. Brown your ground beef with onion, salt and pepper. Drain well. Add enough water to cover meat and simmer...the longer the better.
Spread mustard on a bun if you wish, spoon on meat, then put sandwich in skillet on medium high, mash with a spatula and warm on both sides.
Kim always cuts up some extra onion which he likes on his...I have mine without.

Hi, never made these before but they do sound good- I went to Google - they have a ton of recipes. Saw one that calls for your ground beef, can of french onion soup and simmer on low for an hour - may try that-(no onion chopping).

Never heard of them. But have done my Googling duty and have made stuff sorta, kinda like it. Sounds like the real ones are a secret and there are many variations.

Thanks for the post. Gotta work on this one.

Are these the "loose ground beef" sandwiches (not bbq, not sloppy joes, not it beef). Just a loose ground beef held together with thick meat juices?

Maid Rites are also called loose meat sandwiches and are traditionally just browned ground beef simmered in beef broth and onions.

They originated in Iowa!:)

OH no James, run away or hide or something!! Some people wants to cook and eat you!!:ohmy:

I'm married to a Maidrite, does that count? :LOL: Actually, they are cooked in a large steamer so the fat drains from them and they stay moist. I've only had one Maidrite, in Ottumwa, Iowa, and it was ok but not my favorite. There is another place in Ottumwa (Canteen in Alley) which has terrific loose meat sandwiches. At Canteen the steamer is right there where you can watch them cook the meat.

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom