Mail Order Steak Companies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have received Omaha steaks. THey are a quality product, well packaged. Thus pricey. As a gift they are lovely. Can I get as good here at a prime butcher? yes. For less money? yes...no shipping. To buy for yourself? probaly not necessary. To give as a gift...very thoughtful.

We got some this week. Friends know we are moving to or new house and things will be in flux for many days. What a nice gift to be able to pull out a few steaks and some stuffed potatoes and pop em in the oven/broiler...add some bagged salad greens for a dedcent quick no fuss meal while most of our pots n pans are packed!

Okay - so after agonizing over this (as only I can - lol!!), I finally placed the order with Omaha steaks. The gal on the phone was really funny & nice, & made sure that everything was in stock & would be there by this Friday.

I ended up buying stuff for both my brother & my parents, since the order will go to my parents address anyway since they're home nearly 24/7. This is what I ended up getting:

2 orders of the "Gourmet Sampler" (2 6-oz. filet mignons, 2 11-oz. strip steaks, & 2 18-oz. T-Bones).

2 orders of 2 24-oz. Porterhouse Steaks.

1 order (for my dad - who LOVES pork) of their extra-thick pork chops, which were on sale.

2 orders of steak seasoning - also on sale.

The above come with a free cutting board & set of steak knives, which I'm sure mom & dad will give to dear brother, since they're up to the wazoo in cutting boards & steak knives - lol!!!

Does the above sound like a decent gift?

Just today Mr HB received a huge package from my son. It contained:

4- top sirloins
4- boneless pork chops
2 - stuffed sole with scallops and crab
8 - gourmet franks
4 - chicken breasts
4 - baked stuffed potatoes
1 cutlery set w/cutting board (sending out as a present :-p )
Cookbook
Special offers

He usually sends the 8 pk of filets. This will be nice to try for a change.

We've always loved the present. I would buy them for people but wouldn't go to the Omaha Steak store to purchase them for myself. We had one by us in Maryland.

Last edited:
I have always wondered about mail-order meats and found this discussion interesting.

I have a question about something related--Schwann's. I love their ice cream. Their stuff is all so expensive, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with their meats.

:) Barbara

JDP said:
Allen Brothers Steaks are supposed to good prime grade steaks, but you will pay a prime price for them. I have no personal experience with them.

JDP

I don't think Omaha steaks are worth the money, even when they are on sale. You can do better at a good butcher. I don't know Allen Bros.

Happy cooking!

Lol, Souffle, like I said, I wouldn't purchase them for myself but I think they are a wonderful gift and I enjoy every single package that I open. :cool:

i've been given omaha steaks, a combo pack of strip, tenderloin, and burgers, and i was thoroughly unimpressed.

a stocking stuffer one year was a decent bottle of their chilli starter. it was ok, but i prefer to make chilli from scratch.

like 'bug, i thought the best part was the neat styrofoam cooler, and the big hunk of dry ice. how can you not play with dry ice?

We use the styrofoam coolers for our minnows when we head to a friend's cabin up on a mountain. Works great.

And yes, I did play with the dry ice...muahahahha.

Well - I guess all I can hope for is that the big Omaha steak gifts I gave my parents & my brother are enjoyed.

I know my parents will like theirs because they've received Omaha steak gifts from other parties. And actually my brother will probably like his as well as he's not really the gourmet/particular type. My parents said he was flabbergasted at the array & couldn't wait to get it home. So allowing for personal taste - all is well with the world - lol!!!

I think Allen bros are 1 of the best. They also carry some prime Kobe beef.
They are very Xpensive. They carry seafood,desserts.etc....everything is great.

Back
Top Bottom