Mail Order Steak Companies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I did a search here using different variations of the above topic title & came up with zip.

So - who here has received steak gifts from a mail-order/online steak purveyor & what did you think of the quality, packaging, etc., etc. I'd like to ship some off to my brother & his fiancee for Xmas.

There are so many different companies, all with comparable cuts, prices, etc., etc., it's difficult to choose.

We received an Omaha Steaks gift package once. Very tasty and a great gift to receive. I wouldn't pay for it myself.

I have never used any myself, but I have heard about Omaha and a few others. What I always here is a problem with consistency. Sometimes they are excellent and other times they are mediocre. For the price you are paying you should never have to worry that they will not be A+.

Allen Brothers Steaks are supposed to good prime grade steaks, but you will pay a prime price for them. I have no personal experience with them.

JDP

Thanks guys.

AndyM - do you by any chance remember the cuts you received? Since I only cook the occasional steak for myself, I'm sort of at a loss, except I don't think they're "filet mignon" people. I'm thinking maybe some big Porterhouses & some T-bones?

BC, we got a combo package. There were a couple each of filet mignon, sirloin strips and burgers. I never understood the burgers. Once you grind it up, how would you tell the difference?

Thanks - yeah, I have no intention of sending any burgers. I'd like something that's both tasty & impressive. I mean, this woman will be my future sister-in-law - lol!!!!

Andy M. said:
BC, we got a combo package. There were a couple each of filet mignon, sirloin strips and burgers. I never understood the burgers. Once you grind it up, how would you tell the difference?

The ground beef is a little profit center for them. Plus it's a way for them to get rid of their trim.

JDP

JDP said:
The ground beef is a little profit center for them. Plus it's a way for them to get rid of their trim.

JDP

Sure. That's why I'd never order Omaha burgers. Ground chuck is for burgers and prime vs. choice doesn't matter.

Andy M. said:
We received an Omaha Steaks gift package once. Very tasty and a great gift to receive. I wouldn't pay for it myself.

Mr HB gets them every year from my son. We enjoy them very much but there is no way in he!! I'd buy them myself.

He used to send us the filets but I made the mistake of mentioning a 'new sampler' deal that I saw in the Sky Mall magazine while I was flying........shut my big fat mouth! I hope they stick with the filets. *crossed fingers*

I don't eat red meat much, but when I do, I like to have good meat and don't mind paying for it. I have used mail order for awhile now when it comes to meat and here is what I have tried and my thoughts on it.

Ohmaha Steaks - I did not like their ground beef and did not seem overly impressed with anything else they had to offer. I don't order from them anymore.

The Tender Filet - Awesome quality, a tad pricey, and the shipping costs will burn holes in your socks. But I have to admit that I always go back and order their stuffed pin-wheel steaks... those are quick and easy to prepare and oh so tasty!!!!

Pfaelzer Brothers - I order the most from these guys.... why? They have sales, recently 20% off and have lowered their shipping costs which is better than half of what TTF charges. Also their meat is of good quality and taste. I like ordering the combo packs, that way you get rib-eyes, strips, filets, etc....

Recently.... I ordered from Burgundy Beef Pastures which is local to my area and raise their beef on grass... no grain, anitbiotics, steroids or any of that other junk. Plus they only charge 3 bucks for delivery and that made a big difference... more money I can spend on beef vs shipping!!! I have to say that this was some of the best tasting meat that money can buy and pound for pound... was cheaper then any of the mail order companies above.

HTH!!

Thanks again guys. I was wondering about Pfaelzer, because they've sent me a few catalogs recently.

Like I said, all these companies, as far as the different cuts are concerned, pretty much are like comparing apples to apples, so it's really difficult to choose unless one has had personal experience with the companies, which I haven't.

For those here with experience with these companies - do they package each steak individually or all together? I think this is important when one is sending to a 2-person family. Who wants to have to defrost 4 or more steaks when there's only 2 of you.

Omaha packages them individually.

Wow, Pfaelzer is really much more expensive!

Last edited:
I've purchased from Omaha steaks a couple of times. I cannot tell you how the steaks are packaged since I sent it as a gift, but my sister loved it. The filet mignon was wonderful she said. You could try giving them a call to ask how they package their products.

OS has excellent packaging. We even keep the styrofoam cooler things the meat comes in - they make handy impromptu coolers.

Items are packaged "indvidually", kind of like Foodsavers packaging, but you have to cut thru the separations between each item. A combo order would arrive with each item packaged in the Foodsaver type of wrapping but also inside a very sturdy little box.

Their hamburgers are highly average. I usually break them up to use in chili or something. The steaks are OK, but maybe we're just sick of them.

My folks were very pleased with some OS salmon we sent them one time. Fish from a steak purveyor? Go figure.

I didn't take a look at the websites but as for types of steak to order my favorite would be nice 1 3/4 inch sirloins, followed by KC strips and then ribeyes. I not a big filet fan. They are the least flavorful piece of beef you can find.

JDP

Pfaelzer Bros seals individually... I too am a contributor to a 2 person household. Even the combo packs, each steak is sealed in its own vaccummed pack package. I have found that one of their rib-eyes is enough for 2. (I say this as a family that is trying to practice portion size, but you can definately eat an entire steak without issue!!!)

I say pick a place and try it, try a small variety pack, both Tender Filet and Pfaelzer's has some nice ones. I am sure OS does as well. If you do order from OS... don't give them your phone number!! They will bug the living %#&! out of ya!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom