Making a better stuffed pepper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was having this same discussion with a woman on another board once, and she finally came back with "Well, I am a classically trained chef and I never heard of parboiling stuffed peppers." To which I responded "You must have been out sick that day."
The advantage to NOT being a classically trained chef is that you can do as you dam' well please with the peppers. :)

Fish sauce is one of my most coveted ingredients.
I've been on the fish sauce bandwagon for years.
When used right, it elevates dishes so much.
The secret is to cook the fish sauce for about a minute or two directly in the pan before adding other liquids.

MSG is another one I've been using the past few years. Stuff works wonders, especially in braised dishes, gravy, bbq rubs, beans, and lentils.
Each to his own but I have to say "yuck" to MSG. I know it's supposed to be tasteless but I CAN taste it and it's horrible.

Over here they try to hide it but I've learned its "E" number:glare:

(E621 if anyone's interested)

I could use some training in this regard as i have never used fish sauce or MSG.
I like the taste of anchovy, but the slightest hint of it for my wife would ruin the meal for her.

I have a very low tolerance for "fishy" flavors, but I use fish sauce and anchovy paste a lot in sauces and other stuff. You really can't tell it's fish, it just adds some really nice flavor.

I have a very low tolerance for "fishy" flavors, but I use fish sauce and anchovy paste a lot in sauces and other stuff. You really can't tell it's fish, it just adds some really nice flavor.
Anchovy paste is wonderful whisked into oil and vinegar salad dressings (of course Caesar dressing also) and deviled egg filling. Never tried fish sauce. I have been told the smell is very strong and my family would not like that.

Anchovy paste is wonderful whisked into oil and vinegar salad dressings (of course Caesar dressing also) and deviled egg filling. Never tried fish sauce. I have been told the smell is very strong and my family would not like that.

MsM, I just took a big sniff of both of my fish sauces, and they smell like worcestershire sauce. Not fishy. I think you would like them! Maybe get a tiny bottle and see how you like it.

The Chief's Stuffed Peppers. I know this guy who loves strong, fresh flavors. He also talks/writes too much.;)

Yeh, it's me. Here's another way to make them delicious.

Using a paring knife, cut a circle around the pepper stem and pull out the stem, core, and seeds. Combine 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp. black pepper, 2 cups of cooked rice, 2 tbs. Sriracha Pepper/Garlic paste, 1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce, 1 finely diced chopped onion, and 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels.

Stuff this mixture into the peppers.

Fire up the Webber with a solid bed of charcoal. When hot, place the peppers just outside the bed of coals. Put the steaks, chops, chicken, burgers, or whatever meat you're grilling over the coals and put the lid on, with all vents fully open. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip meat, cover, cook another three to four minutes. Remove the meat and cover. Set the table and place the meat onto the table (this gives tehmeat a chance to rest). Now, go out and close all grill vents, remove the peppers to a plate, and serve with meat and other sides.

The peppers should be hot with a slight crunch still in the pepper flesh. Plus, the filling picks up a little of that great grilled flavor. I leave the skin on the pepper as I want it to contain the somewhat softened flesh. Also, it's not tough as the flesh still has a little crunch in it.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You have never used "Accent" tenderizer/flavor enhancer? I believe the first ingredient is MSG.

Maybe, but it would have been decades ago at my parents house. You know, when it was advertised on TV.
I am certain I have consumed MSG, but have never intentionally used it.

The advantage to NOT being a classically trained chef is that you can do as you dam' well please with the peppers. :)

:ROFLMAO:

I have marveled at chefs using a fillet or two of anchovy and say it melts away and gives flavor.
If i was cooking for myself, I bet I would have been using anchovy for many years now. I guess, since i have no idea, I am afraid to try it.
Question? Canned anchovy in oil or salt packed dry?

I will pick up a tube as soon as I am in the store. Is there anything I should know when buying anchovy paste?
Brand? Personal choice?

Maybe, but it would have been decades ago at my parents house. You know, when it was advertised on TV.
I am certain I have consumed MSG, but have never intentionally used it.

:ROFLMAO:

I have marveled at chefs using a fillet or two of anchovy and say it melts away and gives flavor.
If i was cooking for myself, I bet I would have been using anchovy for many years now. I guess, since i have no idea, I am afraid to try it.
Question? Canned anchovy in oil or salt packed dry?

I will pick up a tube as soon as I am in the store. Is there anything I should know when buying anchovy paste?
Brand? Personal choice?

Even though it comes in a tube, do not, I repeat, do not put it on your toothbrush!:LOL:

To be fair, I can taste it in foods. You only want enough to make a difference, but not to actually taste the anchovie. I could eat the fish, if it wasn't so salty. I belileve anchovies are a lot like rainbow smelt. I eat those every chance I get. And I eat canned sardines too, but not if I'm expecting to kiss DW for a few hours after that.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Brand? Personal choice?
I use this brand and have the regular tomato paste, hot pepper paste, anchovy paste and herb paste tubes in my fridge. They last forever!

img_1371099_0_21c45a2b31fa622497f32b7c04dcb244.jpg

I have the anchovy product in:

tins with a key to open
little jar from Rome with standing up in oil fillets
paste from a tube

personally love what it does to complete a certain flavor in so many dishes

I look for peppers that have 4 "feet" on the bottom instead of three. Don't know otherwise what the difference is in the peppers themselves. I like to cut the peppers vertically and they will lay more stable and because I think you can heap more stuffing into them that way.

I look for peppers that have 4 "feet" on the bottom instead of three. Don't know otherwise what the difference is in the peppers themselves. I like to cut the peppers vertically and they will lay more stable and because I think you can heap more stuffing into them that way.

Boy and girl peppers. And I can never remember which is which.

The four footed peppers only make a difference if you stuff them standing up. Since go cut them in half vertically, the number of 'feet' becomes irrelevant.

That's not actually true. Peppers grow from flowers that have both male and female parts. The fruits do not have a gender.

You are correct but it has been said that even though that's not true it's a good way to remember what pepper to choose. The 4 lobes are supposedly sweeter eaten raw and the three lobes are better for cooking. I don't know, I've never tested the theory!

You are correct but it has been said that even though that's not true it's a good way to remember what pepper to choose. The 4 lobes are supposedly sweeter eaten raw and the three lobes are better for cooking. I don't know, I've never tested the theory!
That's another old wives' tale. I've been growing bell peppers for years and there is no difference in the taste.

I do the same thing, Whisk. I cook for one, and half of a nicely stuffed good sized bell is perfect for me for one meal, then I have the other half to vacuum seal for another time.

I make the stuffing pretty much the same way every time. A good amount of chopped sautéed onions, cooked and crumbled (seasoned) ground beef, cooked rice, and tomato sauce. I don't pre-cook the peppers, I just clean and stuff them and bake at 350 for around 1/2 hour or maybe a bit longer. I like a little bite to the peppers.

Last edited:
I often halve the peppers the long way and lay them in a baking dish, stuff with a mixture that includes half and half ground beef and spicy Italian sausage, onions and rice and seasonings.

I also make a Mexican version with poblano peppers, chorizo, cumin, mild or medium salsa (either store bought or home made, depending on what I have available).

I don't really have any details because I just use in what I have available that seems like it might work together. Most always have some sort of cheese (lots of cheese :D ) and/or a sauce. The only consistent ingredient is the peppers themselves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom