"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I was having this same discussion with a woman on another board once, and she finally came back with "Well, I am a classically trained chef and I never heard of parboiling stuffed peppers." To which I responded "You must have been out sick that day."
The advantage to NOT being a classically trained chef is that you can do as you dam' well please with the peppers.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Fish sauce is one of my most coveted ingredients.
I've been on the fish sauce bandwagon for years.
When used right, it elevates dishes so much.
The secret is to cook the fish sauce for about a minute or two directly in the pan before adding other liquids.

MSG is another one I've been using the past few years. Stuff works wonders, especially in braised dishes, gravy, bbq rubs, beans, and lentils.
Each to his own but I have to say "yuck" to MSG. I know it's supposed to be tasteless but I CAN taste it and it's horrible.

Over here they try to hide it but I've learned its "E" number

(E621 if anyone's interested)

Old 06-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I could use some training in this regard as i have never used fish sauce or MSG.
I like the taste of anchovy, but the slightest hint of it for my wife would ruin the meal for her.

I have a very low tolerance for "fishy" flavors, but I use fish sauce and anchovy paste a lot in sauces and other stuff. You really can't tell it's fish, it just adds some really nice flavor.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I have a very low tolerance for "fishy" flavors, but I use fish sauce and anchovy paste a lot in sauces and other stuff. You really can't tell it's fish, it just adds some really nice flavor.
Anchovy paste is wonderful whisked into oil and vinegar salad dressings (of course Caesar dressing also) and deviled egg filling. Never tried fish sauce. I have been told the smell is very strong and my family would not like that.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:58 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Anchovy paste is wonderful whisked into oil and vinegar salad dressings (of course Caesar dressing also) and deviled egg filling. Never tried fish sauce. I have been told the smell is very strong and my family would not like that.

MsM, I just took a big sniff of both of my fish sauces, and they smell like worcestershire sauce. Not fishy. I think you would like them! Maybe get a tiny bottle and see how you like it.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #26
Master Chef

The Chief's Stuffed Peppers. I know this guy who loves strong, fresh flavors. He also talks/writes too much.

Yeh, it's me. Here's another way to make them delicious.

Using a paring knife, cut a circle around the pepper stem and pull out the stem, core, and seeds. Combine 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp. black pepper, 2 cups of cooked rice, 2 tbs. Sriracha Pepper/Garlic paste, 1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce, 1 finely diced chopped onion, and 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels.

Stuff this mixture into the peppers.

Fire up the Webber with a solid bed of charcoal. When hot, place the peppers just outside the bed of coals. Put the steaks, chops, chicken, burgers, or whatever meat you're grilling over the coals and put the lid on, with all vents fully open. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip meat, cover, cook another three to four minutes. Remove the meat and cover. Set the table and place the meat onto the table (this gives tehmeat a chance to rest). Now, go out and close all grill vents, remove the peppers to a plate, and serve with meat and other sides.

The peppers should be hot with a slight crunch still in the pepper flesh. Plus, the filling picks up a little of that great grilled flavor. I leave the skin on the pepper as I want it to contain the somewhat softened flesh. Also, it's not tough as the flesh still has a little crunch in it.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
You have never used "Accent" tenderizer/flavor enhancer? I believe the first ingredient is MSG.
Maybe, but it would have been decades ago at my parents house. You know, when it was advertised on TV.
I am certain I have consumed MSG, but have never intentionally used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
The advantage to NOT being a classically trained chef is that you can do as you dam' well please with the peppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I have marveled at chefs using a fillet or two of anchovy and say it melts away and gives flavor.
If i was cooking for myself, I bet I would have been using anchovy for many years now. I guess, since i have no idea, I am afraid to try it.
Question? Canned anchovy in oil or salt packed dry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I will pick up a tube as soon as I am in the store. Is there anything I should know when buying anchovy paste?
Brand? Personal choice?
Old 06-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Maybe, but it would have been decades ago at my parents house. You know, when it was advertised on TV.
I am certain I have consumed MSG, but have never intentionally used it.

I have marveled at chefs using a fillet or two of anchovy and say it melts away and gives flavor.
If i was cooking for myself, I bet I would have been using anchovy for many years now. I guess, since i have no idea, I am afraid to try it.
Question? Canned anchovy in oil or salt packed dry?

I will pick up a tube as soon as I am in the store. Is there anything I should know when buying anchovy paste?
Brand? Personal choice?
Even though it comes in a tube, do not, I repeat, do not put it on your toothbrush!

To be fair, I can taste it in foods. You only want enough to make a difference, but not to actually taste the anchovie. I could eat the fish, if it wasn't so salty. I belileve anchovies are a lot like rainbow smelt. I eat those every chance I get. And I eat canned sardines too, but not if I'm expecting to kiss DW for a few hours after that.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Brand? Personal choice?
I use this brand and have the regular tomato paste, hot pepper paste, anchovy paste and herb paste tubes in my fridge. They last forever!

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

This discussion about using anchovies or anchovy paste and fish sauce is all about adding umami (savory) flavor to foods. We had a pretty thorough discussion of that recently: ISO how to add "umami" flavor to food?

Tags
pepper