Making a better stuffed pepper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roll bones, for torching peppers, the kitchen torch doesn't cut it. It's good for brulee and browning meringue, etc, but definitely not for peppers. Takes forever and doesn't do the best job.

Roll bones, for torching peppers, the kitchen torch doesn't cut it. It's good for brulee and browning meringue, etc, but definitely not for peppers. Takes forever and doesn't do the best job.

Thanks. I guess I need a propane torch like the ones plumbers use to sweat copper lines.
Should be less expensive as well.

Thanks. I guess I need a propane torch like the ones plumbers use to sweat copper lines.
Should be less expensive as well.

Yesterday, my son and I used a propane torch to blacken my red peppers before I canned them. It was a little tedious but did a good job at evenly blackening them. There was less structural damage to the flesh than blackening them in the broiler. Now my son wants to buy me a 'kitchen torch'. I don't think it would be better or worse.

I'm not willing to invite a plumber over with his acetylene torch, just to get it done a little faster.:LOL::LOL::LOL: Blackened peppers $200.:huh: I guess you can call me cheap.

You can get them for probably under $30 at home depot or lowes. Get one that has a sparker so you don't have to use matches. Bottle refills are pretty cheap.

It's a handy thing to have. I've used mine for everything from blackening peppers, to saoldering pipes, repairing radiators, to make jewlry. If you get map gas, you can even braise metal (a type of welding) with it., It's also handy for helping to loosen frozen lug nuts on a wheel. Just be aware, the end gets hot.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've always just cut the peppers into quarters lengthwise and stuck them over the gas jet, just like most Italians do. It does a great job, and afterwards you can use the peppers for preserving in EVOO, or, for example, a dish which uses a dressing of garlic and anchovies, and is used as an antipasto, amongst all the other antipasti beloved by the Piedmontese (North West Italy, capital city Turin). I use them like that in other dishes as well - obviously without the anchovy dressing.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Yesterday, my son and I used a propane torch to blacken my red peppers before I canned them. It was a little tedious but did a good job at evenly blackening them. There was less structural damage to the flesh than blackening them in the broiler. Now my son wants to buy me a 'kitchen torch'. I don't think it would be better or worse.

Thats a very good point. It must be hot enough to blacken, yet not fully cook the meat. Thats the issue I run into. Blackening and cooking when all I wanted was blackening.

You can get them for probably under $30 at home depot or lowes. Get one that has a sparker so you don't have to use matches. Bottle refills are pretty cheap.

How about a link?

Bernzomatic TS3500KC Multi-Use Torch Kit-361479 - The Home Depot

Craig likes this 1because you can tilt it in different directions and that comes in handy with roasting peppers and starting coals down in the egg or the weber.

Thanks. I am going into town tomorrow and will get one. How often to you have to replace your tank.

I've always just cut the peppers into quarters lengthwise and stuck them over the gas jet, just like most Italians do. It does a great job, and afterwards you can use the peppers for preserving in EVOO, or, for example, a dish which uses a dressing of garlic and anchovies, and is used as an antipasto, amongst all the other antipasti beloved by the Piedmontese (North West Italy, capital city Turin). I use them like that in other dishes as well - obviously without the anchovy dressing.

di reston

No gas here. Only electric. If I had gas, I would not need a torch. ;)

Thanks. I am going into town tomorrow and will get one. How often to you have to replace your tank.

I bought my propane torch about 7 years ago, singed the hair off a deer, cut some rope with it, blacked peppers, browned a meringue pie top, browned a creme brulee, there are many uses and the propane just keeps on going. I even have 3 spare tanks full, and we haven't needed to change it out yet.

I asked Mr. Google and he said:
A 16 ounce disposable propane tank will burn for approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours on high when used on a burner or camping stove. If you use the tank for a lantern and burn it on the low setting, it will last for up to 8 or 9 hours

I posted an item, but it seems to have to disappeared! My stuffed peppers come in two guises:

My favourite: For yellow and red peppers. I put the peppers over the gas jet and blacken then peel them. By then the peppers are cooked. Then I put together a combination of garlic, anchovies and parsley and butter, and spread that over the softened peppers. Then I roll the peppers up, and serve them as an antipasto, or starter. Very popular where I live here in Italy. The anchovy concoction is called 'bagna cauda', or, in Piedmontese dialect hot sauce.
Or, if I want a more something more substantial, I make a filling of ground pork and beef (half and half), 1 anchovy, a little freshly chopped garlic, parmesan, not too much, s and p to taste, and roll this in the peppers, with a tomato sauce - very little . and oven bake. But then, over here there are dozens of recipes for sweet peppers, far too many to list.

di reston

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom