"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-24-2014, 03:57 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Making a better stuffed pepper

First time making stuffed bell peppers and although they were OK
they just didn't have the yum taste.

Cut off the tops and cleaned the insides. Par boiled them for 4 minutes.

Cut up the meat from the tops and with onion and garlic simmered them
in a little butter.
Added ground beef until browned. Added tomato sauce, salt, pepper and basil leaves and white rice until well mixed.
Stuffed the peppers and put them in a glass baking dish with a little water and cooked at 350* for 25 minutes.
Sadly I didn't have any cheese or Worcestershire sauce.

Love some suggestions so next time I have what I need ready.
Thanks

Old 06-24-2014, 04:25 AM   #2
Head Chef

Maybe the parboiling dilutes their flavour. I just oil mine since I don't like them to be too soft. Perhaps some more seasoning in the filling would be a good idea, e.g. tabasco or paprika, mixed herbs or thyme. If the white rice is cooked, you could have used beef stock rather than water.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:12 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Try cutting them in half lengthways and discard pith and seeds, I cut through the stalk and leave it on because it looks nice. Fill with skinned tomato halves, ( I remove those seeds as well or use tinned plum ones) finely chopped garlic, S&P and 1 snipped anchovy fillet per half. Drizzle with olive oil and cook @ 200c in the oven until just blackening at the edges. Wonderful served luke-warm so can be made earlier and flavors allowed to mingle

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Try cutting them in half lengthways and discard pith and seeds, I cut through the stalk and leave it on because it looks nice. Fill with skinned tomato halves, ( I remove those seeds as well or use tinned plum ones) finely chopped garlic, S&P and 1 snipped anchovy fillet per half. Drizzle with olive oil and cook @ 200c in the oven until just blackening at the edges. Wonderful served luke-warm so can be made earlier and flavors allowed to mingle
Yes I can vouch for the tastiness of this. It's an Italian recipe and is always full of flavour. Even without the anchovy it is still very good, e.g. as a side dish.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I like to go a little SW or Mexican with stuffed peppers, chile rellenos. Pablanos are generally mild and they can be stuffed with a variety of fillings.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoracayB View Post
First time making stuffed bell peppers and although they were OK
they just didn't have the yum taste.

Cut off the tops and cleaned the insides. Par boiled them for 4 minutes.

Cut up the meat from the tops and with onion and garlic simmered them
in a little butter.
Added ground beef until browned. Added tomato sauce, salt, pepper and basil leaves and white rice until well mixed.
Stuffed the peppers and put them in a glass baking dish with a little water and cooked at 350* for 25 minutes.
Sadly I didn't have any cheese or Worcestershire sauce.

Love some suggestions so next time I have what I need ready.
Thanks
Gosh, I'd forgotten how long it was since I made stuffed peppers.

I make them much as you do but instead of water in the baking dish I use some of the home-made tomato sauce that I use in the filling. It gives you a sauce to moisten the peppers when you eat them. I don't parboil the peppers before filling as I find the final cooking is enough as I like my veg to have a little bit of bite but if you prefer to parboil did you salt the water? As for the sauce - a little wine if you have any to hand? And Worcestershire sauce is good (it helps in most things and is a culinary investment and cheap too because a bottle last for ages and doesn't go off - at least our Lea & Perrins doesn't). A pinch of chili powder if you like it? Or a scraping of nutmeg? Grated carrot? Celery? I'm thinking of all the things I put in my ragu for pasta sauce.

Menumaker's tip about an anchovy fillet or two is a good idea. It disappears into the meat filling and you won't taste fish but it adds to the overall flavour.(Worcestershire sauce contains anchovies unless you buy the vegetarian friendly one).
Old 06-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I like to blacken the skin and peel the peppers. I also like to use red bell instead of green.
I use the same mix as my meatballs. Chopped bell pepper, onion, garlic, Parmesan or Pecorrino, S&P, flat parsley and assorted dashes of Worcestershire, hot sauce, ketchup and some milk or half and half.
I throw the kitchen sink at the ingredients as i want a full flavor meat stuffing.

I also pour some marinara over the top before roasting and a sprinkle of grated cheese when I pull them out. No water in the baking dish. Just a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Menumaker's tip about an anchovy fillet or two is a good idea. It disappears into the meat filling and you won't taste fish but it adds to the overall flavour.(Worcestershire sauce contains anchovies unless you buy the vegetarian friendly one).
Yep. Bow before the virtue of umami, as in Worcestershire, anchovy, soy sauce, MSG, fish sauce. It's easy to overdo, and you have to especially watch the salt when adding umami ingredients, but it can make all the difference. Some cheeses add the same quality. Finely grated parmesan added to meat ins stuffed peppers improves it, as do mushrooms. Both are effective but less critical umami sources.

(Fish sauce is the most surprising ingredient for most people. The Roman's knew what they were doing with their garum.)
Old 06-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Making a great stuffed bell pepper is easy.

Just hint to Kathleen it is time we had them again. They appear and are great.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I parboil the peppers to make them tender, then stuff them with leftover jambalaya.

Tags
pepper