"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 11-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I haven't had them myself!! My husband suggested them, he really likes them. I don't care for meatballs, so if I've seen them I most likely skipped them just because they were meatballs! No-one here said "HUH???" when I asked about them so they must be relatively common?

I tried to post the recipe but I guess I'm not good enough to be allowed yet. Sorry.

I found about 6 different ones at Allrecipes though.

Charlie I was going to say that I AM in the midwest, so nobody has tastebuds, but I didn't want to offend anyone!! Ya read my mind!!
I was born in NY, that must be whats wrong with me.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I just wanted to say, I can't imagine what the sauce would taste like. Is that a common dipping sauce I just haven't read about yet?
Yep - it's pretty common - I know it's a jar of grape jelly, a jar of Heinz-type chili sauce, and some mustard - I just can't remember how much mustard.

During the holidays you can also use a can of cranberries in place of the grape jelly. There's some recipes but it might take a bit of brown sugar too to sweeten it up - I really can't remember. They get gobbled up pretty fast! And it's not a dipping sauce, you actually heat up the pre-cooked meatballs or the Lil' Smokies right in the mixture. Lots of people use a crockpot but it can certainly be done on the stove.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Yeah I found the combination of sauce flavours rather different but then grape jelly isn't common here and when I tried it once, it really didn't do anything for me. Probably prejudiced!

Oh and I would have added Worcestershire sauce into the meatballs, only one egg and breadcrumbs instead of oatmeal. Possibly also a bit of tomato paste too.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:41 AM   #14
Cook

I have to agree with Yakuta, and Auntdot. about the breadcrumbs and cheese. I have a
question for you how are you going to cook these? I usually bake mine when I make them.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:14 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I baked them, I made about 3 pounds worth. Too bad, if it were only a pound I would do it over. Party's not til Sunday, but I have to work this weekend so I'm doing all my stuff ahead and freezing it. Today I make the lasagna, Friday the Buffalo Chicken meatballs (Rachel Ray) Saturday the Black Forest cake, and clean like a madwoman after work. Wow, sure sounds like a spoiled 2 year old huh? She's the only girl and the end of the line for us, so I have no trouble going all out.... for any of my kids. I get to do the 2 boys in January. Today is her actual birthday, so I gotta make cupcakes today too. A whole week in my kitchen, then go to work and get paid to bake!!!! I'm a lucky chick!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:30 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
but then grape jelly isn't common here and when I tried it once, it really didn't do anything for me. Probably prejudiced!
It's pretty common here. They make it a mile from my house

Sounds like an interesting sauce. I might have to make something with it to snack on during a football game.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:38 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I just made my 21st post so here's the link.

Cocktail Meatballs IV - Allrecipes

It's nice to be allowed!!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the link....... even if you hadn't just made your 21st post
Old 11-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey just wanted to let everyone know thanks for your help! The meatballs disappeared, my husband liked them so much he snuck some into the fridge before the last were taken! I will make better meatballs next time but the sauce was suprisingly good.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Suzi, If you have any "Joy" cookbooks, I would suggest trying 'em out. I always have some homemade Italian meatballs in my freezer using Joy recipes. I make them with ground turkey and they are so tender and yummy.

Tags
None