"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 08-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Making steaks on a cheapo fry pan?

Hi, all. New poster here.

Honestly, I'm not a great cook - so I apologize in advance if this question is a little amateurish. Anyway, I wanted to make some steaks or possibly a rack of lamb - but all I have in my kitchen is a cheap non-stick fry pan. It's not a cast iron pan, which I thought you needed to make a decent steak... ? Though, I'm not too sure.

Any help appreciated!

Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Master Chef
You might get away with panfrying the steaks in a small amount of fat, but I'd definitely nix the rack of lamb. That's not going to work in non-stick fry pan - cheap or otherwise.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Better off using hibachi
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Steak au Poivre?
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have two words for you: Tony Roma's!
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer
You can do it (with the steak), but it is not idea. The problem is that with a cheap non stick pan you will very possibly have uneven heating so parts of the steak could burn. Also, non stick pans are not supposed to be used on high heat (although I do use them that way sometimes). If all you have is a non stick and and you are dying for a steak then go for it. Better yet, but a cast iron pan. The pan will cost you less than the cost of a good steak and you will get a lifetime of use out of it.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Senior Cook
You could do what I've done in the past and use the pan to sear the steak, then pop it in the oven (if you've got one) to finish cooking. All I've used to do the searing is just your run of the mill non-stick skillets.

What I usually do (as I'm doing tonight) when I do this is get some nice thick steaks (3/4"+, Porterhouse or Strip steaks work good) some EVOO (extra virgin olive oil, to the neophyte. I know, cause I are one...) and one of the many commercial steak seasoning rubs (This is what I used tonight) out there, you might try a few to find out which you prefer...

Anway, preheat your oven to 350*F (you can do this by starting off with some baked potatoes... scrub, rub with EVOO, lightly salt, and pop those in on a rack Let em cook while you do the rest of this, which could take about a half hour). Grab a cookie sheet (sheet pan, whatever, as long as it's shallow and has a raised edge to catch drippings), some foil or parchment (simplifies cleanup immensely) and a metal rack. The ones I use are cooling racks, just make sure that they're safe at high temps. You want the rack on top of the parchment (or foil) in the cookie sheet.

While your oven is preheating (or cooking your potatoes) rub your steaks with EVOO. Then liberally apply your spice rub. You want enough on that what you lose during searing doesn't matter. Preheat your pan over medium high to high heat. Make sure if you have a sensitive smoke detector to get some ventilation to the kitchen, this tends to smoke a little bit.

Then sear your steak. I usually go for the sides first (metal tongs, are HIGHLY reccommended) and then the flats, giving it about 20 seconds for each contact on the edges (again, metal tongs are HIGHLY recommended) and 40 seconds to a minute on the flats.

The goal isn't to cook the steak completely on the stovetop, but rather to just sear the outside so that the juices are retained while you cook it in the oven. Once you're done searing your steak(s), put them on your prepared rack and toss em in the oven (your potatoes should be close to about halfway done, about 30 minutes to go if you've got them on). Let the whole thing cook till your potatoes are done, 30-40 minutes, perhaps more, depending on how done you like your steak, how thick they started, and such. Use a meat thermometer to check temps, or just guestimate. I usually go for about 35 when I pop them in, which is usually the rare side of medium.

When they come out, let em rest on top of the stove (make sure it's still off) for a little while before serving.
Into the fires of forever, we will fly through the heavens, With the power of the universe we stand strong together
Through the forcing of power, we will soon reach the hour, For victory we ride, Fury of the Storm!
VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Do you have a broiler in your oven?Im sure you do that would be a great way to go.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Do you have a broiler in your oven?Im sure you do that would be a great way to go.
JP, would you mind posting your method of making a steak under the broiler?
Thanks, Terry
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Sure, I dont have an exact timing on steaks but its pretty basic just heat up oven to heat up broiler its always good to line the broiler pan with some foil on the bottom saves major cleanup then season steaks as you wish put in broiler broil a minute or more on one side it really depends on the thickness of steaks and how well you want them cooked then turn meat over and broil the other side.The broiler acts somewhat like a grill but the heat is contained so it will be hotter you need to pay attention.The other thing is if the broiler is on the bottom of stove or in the stove you want to keep door open whether its the bottom or in the stove other wise you will just be baking steaks at a high temperature.Im sure some one will chime in on this subject.Just try it and you will get the feel of it.Expect some smoking from the fat burning off of steaks.Im sure someone here is an expert on broiling.

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote