Marinade time help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I bought some pinwheel skirt steaks. They are just beautiful well marbled about 2 inches thick..I want to put them into a marinade of burbon,worchestershire,dijon, brown sugar, tabasco,soy sauce and some cornstarch..We will be grilling them for our sunday dinner..
should I put them into the marinade NOW or wait til tomorrow morning?
I don't want to ruin them and I'm not sure how long they can handle being in a marinade..So I'l love some suggestions..Please:) Also, how does the marinade sound? I usually add garlic and this looks naked with out it.:LOL:
kadesma

My initial reaction, cj, is to go ahead and put them in the marinade tonight, especially since they're 2-inches thick. By all means, add garlic. It's one of the food groups after all. The marinade sounds yummy.

I would put it in tonight, but I would make two changes.

I would get rid of the cornstarch. I don't see the need for it with a marinade as it is used as a thickener and only works when brought to a boil. That would not do much of anything for your marinade.

The other thing I would do is add some acid as it really isn't a marinade without that. I would probably use some vinegar.

Sounds tasty. I can't wait to hear how it turned out.

Oh, and I agree with Katie. Absolutely add the garlic :)

GB said:
I would put it in tonight, but I would make two changes.

I would get rid of the cornstarch. I don't see the need for it with a marinade as it is used as a thickener and only works when brought to a boil. That would not do much of anything for your marinade.

The other thing I would do is add some acid as it really isn't a marinade without that. I would probably use some vinegar.

Sounds tasty. I can't wait to hear how it turned out.

Oh, and I agree with Katie. Absolutely add the garlic :)
GB,
our minds were going the same direction..I didn't use the cornstarch, I added some balsamic and some garlic. tasted as I poured it over the meat and it was really tasty..I'm hoping this is a winner I'm not use to using bourbon in my recipes, wine always but hard stuff..No..Will let you know how it goes tomorow..Thanks guys I appreciate your help.
kades

I marinated some Rib-Eyes once over-night in an alcohol based marinade, and the flavor was really strong. It really came through and over-powered the natural flavor of the steak. So, if you really like your marinade and really want to taste it (more than the beef itself) then do it over night. If you only want a hint of the marinade so that more beef shines through, then do it tomorrow.

Miss CJ

I don't know how many folks you are feeding or how many pinwheels ya have, but if ya think you may have an extra one, put a little S&P + garlic on one and try it sans marinade.:ermm:

Enjoy!

Uncle Bob said:
Miss CJ

I don't know how many folks you are feeding or how many pinwheels ya have, but if ya think you may have an extra one, put a little S&P + garlic on one and try it sans marinade.:ermm:

Enjoy!
UB,
I set aside 2 of them for the little guys, I figured bourbon was a no no for the kids so they are getting s&p and GARLIC:LOL:
Thanks.
kadesma

kadesma said:
UB,
I set aside 2 of them for the little guys, I figured bourbon was a no no for the kids so they are getting s&p and GARLIC:LOL:
Thanks.
kadesma

Good report! Let me know how you like those sans marinade.
Oh, you can have the little guy's ration of bourbon...In a glass, one ice cube!!;)

Ya'll Have fun & Enjoy! (The bourbon):)

GB said:
The other thing I would do is add some acid as it really isn't a marinade without that. Absolutely add the garlic :)

There is Dijon in it, that would be the acid.
And ditto for adding garlic
ditto for no constarch.
Wouldn't do a thing for the marinade.
Oh, and yes, put it in today!!:)

True the Dijon does have acid. The amount acid in the amount of Dijon added would probably be negligible though unless a lot was used.

Ma please add minced garlic and nix the corn starch, a squeeze of lemon juice would be good and a splash of balsamic vinegar put them in the marinade in the morning cover the top and the bottom of the pin wheels so it can soak in Gramps

Dave Hutchins said:
Ma please add minced garlic and nix the corn starch, a squeeze of lemon juice would be good and a splash of balsamic vinegar put them in the marinade in the morning cover the top and the bottom of the pin wheels so it can soak in Gramps
Hey Gramps,
I lost the corn starch, added garlic and some good balsamic. Tasted the marinade before adding the meat..It is nice, I was worried about the bourbon being to strong, but it tastes great..The little guys steaks, I just used salt,pepper and garlic.. Hope these are a hit tomorrow..:LOL:
ma

Well dinner is over, everyone is full and the steaks were delicious..I did several for the kids with just salt,pepper and garlic, they were so good.They went perfectly with the orzo, corn, caprese salad, melons..The marinated steaks were chock full of flavor, no overpowering taste of bourbon, just a mingling of all the ingredients..The marinated steaks, just need simple sides to go with them, nothing that has flavors to fight with those of the meat. All in all we had 12 steaks, there is nothing left..So next time we do the skirt steaks, it will be just as we did today..Thanks everyone for all the advice and help, our dinner was perfect.
kadesma:)

Uncle Bob said:
Good report Miss CJ. I was thinking of you earlier. I must ask however, what became of the little one's ration of (marinade) bourbon?:ermm:
Glass,ice, pour, sipped, enjoyed:LOL:
kads

Back
Top Bottom