"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,540
Beef won't turn a brilliant white, but will turn grey from being cooked in an acid marinade.

BTW, I've never heard of a chunk gyro. I think you are referring to something like souvlaki or doner kebob.

A gyro, or a shawarma, is sliced from a large stack of meat. A gyro rotates (hence the name) in front of a heat source so as to cook the outer layer that is then sliced for serving.
__________________

__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 3,287
Ya, it was a kabob type sandwich, not a gyro. I guess it must have been a chicken kabob instead of a beef kabob sandwich. I've resigned myself that long time marinated beef chunks don't turn light colored.
__________________

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Beef won't turn a brilliant white, but will turn grey from being cooked in an acid marinade.

A gyro rotates (hence the name) in front of a heat source so as to cook the outer layer that is then sliced for serving.
i thought that was shawarma.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 20,720
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
i thought that was shawarma.
Same thing, different languages.

From Wikipedia, "A gyro or gyros[a] (Greek: γύρος, gyros [ˈʝiros], literally 'turn') is a Greek dish made from meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie."

And

"Shawarma (/ʃəˈwɑːrmə/; Arabic: شاورما‎), also shaurma and other spellings, is a Middle Eastern meat preparation based on the doner kebab of Ottoman Turkey. Originally made of lamb or mutton, today's shawarma may also be chicken, turkey, beef, or veal, cut in thin slices and stacked in a cone-like shape on a vertical rotisserie."
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:03 AM   #15
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Same thing, different languages.

From Wikipedia, "A gyro or gyros[a] (Greek: γύρος, gyros [ˈʝiros], literally 'turn') is a Greek dish made from meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie."

And

"Shawarma (/ʃəˈwɑːrmə/; Arabic: شاورما‎), also shaurma and other spellings, is a Middle Eastern meat preparation based on the doner kebab of Ottoman Turkey. Originally made of lamb or mutton, today's shawarma may also be chicken, turkey, beef, or veal, cut in thin slices and stacked in a cone-like shape on a vertical rotisserie."
It can also be made on a horizontal rotisserie as we have done in the past.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 20,720
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
It can also be made on a horizontal rotisserie as we have done in the past.
Of course it can be. and is done on a horizontal rotisserie too. But, wouldn't it at least strike you as odd if you went to a resto and they were using a horizontal rotisserie for gyros or shwarma?


DH and I were actually just talking about why would they have come up with a vertical rotisserie. We figure it's easier to cut meat off the vertical rotisserie while it is turning. Food won't be falling into the heat source. The person doing the cutting won't have to do the cutting and meat catching over the heat source. Those are just guesses, but they make sense to me.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Of course it can be. and is done on a horizontal rotisserie too. But, wouldn't it at least strike you as odd if you went to a resto and they were using a horizontal rotisserie for gyros or shwarma?


DH and I were actually just talking about why would they have come up with a vertical rotisserie. We figure it's easier to cut meat off the vertical rotisserie while it is turning. Food won't be falling into the heat source. The person doing the cutting won't have to do the cutting and meat catching over the heat source. Those are just guesses, but they make sense to me.
According to this, roasting the meat vertically minimizes the amount of fat that drips off into the fire, preventing flare-ups and the burned flavor that causes, and basting the meat with fat.

https://www.haaretz.com/food/.premiu...aeli-1.5467110
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:42 AM   #18
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Of course it can be. and is done on a horizontal rotisserie too. But, wouldn't it at least strike you as odd if you went to a resto and they were using a horizontal rotisserie for gyros or shwarma?


DH and I were actually just talking about why would they have come up with a vertical rotisserie. We figure it's easier to cut meat off the vertical rotisserie while it is turning. Food won't be falling into the heat source. The person doing the cutting won't have to do the cutting and meat catching over the heat source. Those are just guesses, but they make sense to me.

If we were in business making gyros, then I would see the need for vertical rotisserie. We just make enough for our usage so We have a standard rotisserie for the Weber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
According to this, roasting the meat vertically minimizes the amount of fat that drips off into the fire, preventing flare-ups and the burned flavor that causes, and basting the meat with fat.

https://www.haaretz.com/food/.premiu...aeli-1.5467110
If the fire is built properly, no coals directly under the rotisserie, then the dripping fat won't hit the coals. Especially if a drip pan is used.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If the fire is built properly, no coals directly under the rotisserie, then the dripping fat won't hit the coals. Especially if a drip pan is used.
You should travel back in time and space and teach those Ottomans a thing or two!
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,540
The burner for my gas grill rotisserie is horizontal, along the back wall of the grill. The fat drips down on to the grill and "flavorizer" bars and is burned/atomized.

No Ottomans needed.
__________________

__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beef

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.