"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Marinated steak??

My bf seems to think steak should be marinated. He says that's why no name steaks are so good. I think you should be able to just buy good steak, and season it. Steak is a tender cut- why would you marinate it?? What would you even marinate it in? I want to taste the steak, not a marinade... What do you think? Restaurants wouldn't marinate a nice ribeye, so why would I?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree with you. A good steak (filet mignon, NY Strip, ribeye) just needs salt and pepper. I also use a steak rub on these steaks. It really seems to enhance the beef flavor.

For other cuts, such as flank, skirt, steak tips, I do marinate.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I like a nice flank steak marinated in Italian dressing. I also like fajitas, which is marinated skirt steak. Also there are tough cuts which are called "steaks", but IMO need marinade more as a tenderized.

Prime cuts, I just salt and pepper. Maybe a rub, but they don't need a marinade, IMO.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Head Chef

Some cuts of meat go well with a marinate,like flank, london broil for example. But other prime cuts, T- bone, Rib-eye, do well with just salt and pepper or a light rub. Let the beef flavor shine through! But,to each his own. If thats the way he likes it, so be it.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

It's the same with sauces. I love a good plain steak as much as the next guy, but sometimes a nice sauce adds a special something, especially with a thick, tender cut like filet mignon. Actually, any thick cut where there's a lot of meat and little crust. Just like there's au jus for prime rib. Now you horseradish users... lol
I say to each his own, too.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Master Chef

I don't marinate tender steaks either, but I often use a dry rub with cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt & pepper.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
My bf seems to think steak should be marinated. He says that's why no name steaks are so good. I think you should be able to just buy good steak, and season it. Steak is a tender cut- why would you marinate it?? What would you even marinate it in? I want to taste the steak, not a marinade... What do you think? Restaurants wouldn't marinate a nice ribeye, so why would I?

Some do. If you marinate you should keep it simple. As others have said, flank is good to marinate. But I've worked in places where even filet and ribeyes were marinated.

Typically you have a flavor component and some type of oil. For instance, rosemary, garlic and olive oil is a pretty good basic marinade for been.

Overall I'm with you though- a good steak really only needs salt and pepper. I like Himilayan salt and fresh cracked peppercorn melange.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I also like to taste my steaks. I would only marinade if it needs time to tenderize and that is very seldom.

Salt and Pepper are more than enough for my steaks. When I do want a wee bit extra I have a mix of garlic powder, onion powder and paprika that I sprinkle on.

And I generally don't use a sauce on my steaks either with the rare exception of a dab of horseradish to dip it in.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Half Baked

I marinate my steaks in soy for 20 minutes befor the grill. Nothing else. I like the umami on the crust but it doesn't effect the center at all. If I don't do this I use a dry rub sparingly. I like horseradish with both.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Not to go too OT... but horseradish is so strong. How do you taste the beef through it?
I can see using it on an oxroast sandwich as a condiment, but I never got the association it has with a good piece of beef. Just curious.

Tags
None