"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
After trying Grandma Maronis recipe and making a few changes, I find it to be my go to for Italian style meatballs. I also use Nina's and I'm very happy Costco started carrying the smaller cans.
I found Nina's at Costco and now they are gone. They only had the gallon can previously. I was good with that. They had only Contadina crushed tomato's this time!
They also did away with the bi-fold wax paper sheets I have gotten so used to having at my disposal.
Whats next?

This really bothers me!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I found Nina's at Costco and now they are gone. They only had the gallon can previously. I was good with that. They had only Contadina crushed tomato's this time!
They also did away with the bi-fold wax paper sheets I have gotten so used to having at my disposal.
Whats next?

This really bothers me!
Since I have gained access to Restaurant Depot, I don't rely on Costco as much.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Since I became unattached and Plague of Locusts moved to Red Stick, I don't depend on Costco at all. I don't need 17 pounds of chicken, a 50 pound bag of potatoes, or all 7 ribs of a prime rib roast.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Since I became unattached and Plague of Locusts moved to Red Stick, I don't depend on Costco at all. I don't need 17 pounds of chicken, a 50 pound bag of potatoes, or all 7 ribs of a prime rib roast.
The Costcos around here offer much smaller packages of chicken, potatoes and meats. Sorry you don't have that available in your area.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Traditionally, the macaroni course (primo) and the meat course (secondo) are served separately. When my Sicilian family ate together we got a bowl of soup first, then a plate of spaghetti. When the spaghetti (primo) course was finished, the meatballs and sausages were brought to the table in a separate bowl. Salad was served last. My father still saves his salad until after he finishes his meal.
my parents still eat their salads last as well. it took me a while when i first struck out on my own to get used to eating salad after soup, then appys.

and yeah. the sequence of italian pasta meals is definitely abbreviated. must be because of working moms hating to cook.

but ok, americanized convenience; dare i say american work ethic has caused multi - course meals to merge.

ppo, i'm a sort of meatball afficionado. i've gotten recipes from people from sicily and up and around the adriatic down to macedonia (scandinavia, turkey, morrocco, and taiwan, too) and have made many of them.

your recipe strikes me as north eastern adriatic: well herbed, no cheese.

i make mine more in the calabrian / sicilian tradition (as per the folks who taught me). down the back of the boot.

very simple: ground meat, 1 jumbo egg / lb of meat, finely grated cheese, dried parsley, medium to fine breadcrumbs, ground black pepper, a fraction of a pinch of dried basil and oregano, and milk to adjust moistness.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:46 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That's my biggest complaint regarding these box store clubs. Also you find a product you really like, and then you find they don't carry it anymore on your next shopping trip there. You waited one shopping trip too many to restock your supply.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
I don't need 50# of potatoes either, so I don't buy them. Now, because I have a deep freezer, good knives and a vacuum sealer, I will buy that rib roast. The savings are worth it.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #28
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
I knew the head butcher, or whatever they call them,
for Costco in Hawaii
He told me that buying those huge cuts of sealed packaged
Choice grade meats is the best you'll find...
well I suppose he probably meant in Hawaii anyways.

So that's what I started doing
Buy a gianormous hunk-o beef,
butcher it myself (thank you DH for buying that beautiful knife),
portion them off and then sealing them
with the FoodSaver and into the deep freeze they go

our chest freezer out in the garage died the other week,
so we ordered a new one straight away
thankfully, there wasn't much in it as it was just about time for another run to Costco, PHEW!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
I will have to check into another way to get some of these things.
I was so disturbed over this i sent Costco corporate a letter yesterday.

Quote:
Our Costco does not sell that big a anything. They do cut their steaks about 2.5 inches thick, but there is only 4 per pack.
The packaging is actually quite reasonable for a warehouse club.
It is a warehouse after all. Its better than Sams by a large margin. IMO of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That's my biggest complaint regarding these box store clubs. Also you find a product you really like, and then you find they don't carry it anymore on your next shopping trip there. You waited one shopping trip too many to restock your supply.
Yep, we only need to go once every 3-4 months. But it seems when i find something I really like, it will be gone by the next time I go.
The exception is the Kirkland brand products. They always have them as its there brand.
I'm gonna miss those Nina tomatoes and those deli wraps.

Quote:
I don't need 50# of potatoes either, so I don't buy them. Now, because I have a deep freezer, good knives and a vacuum sealer, I will buy that rib roast. The savings are worth it.
We vacuum and seal everything in dinner (three people) sized portions ourselves.
But I have noticed the beef is as expensive as the grocery store. Chicken is the same way. But pork is half what the grocery stores charge.
Especially the ribs.
Paper products are reasonable too. Costco does have high quality meats though. Much better than their competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
our chest freezer out in the garage died the other week,
so we ordered a new one straight away
thankfully, there wasn't much in it as it was just about time for another run to Costco, PHEW!
If I could buy another freezer, I would never, never, ever get a chest again.
I have to dig in it every time I need something. Its a pain in the butt. It seems everything or anything I need is on the bottom.
I had to set a table next to the chest to put stuff on as i dig down.

The next freezer will be an upright, with shelves so I can see what I have and what I don't have.
I am done with chest freezers after this one!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #30
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
If I could buy another freezer, I would never, never, ever get a chest again.
I have to dig in it every time I need something. Its a pain in the butt. It seems everything or anything I need is on the bottom.
I had to set a table next to the chest to put stuff on as i dig down.

The next freezer will be an upright, with shelves so I can see what I have and what I don't have.
I am done with chest freezers after this one!
AGREED!
I should have thought of that one.
But I am working with limited floor space.
I simply ordered the same size chest freezer that died.

Tags
hamburger, meat, meatballs, recipe, sauce

Meatballs in Red Sauce Meatballs: 1 pound lean ground beef Fresh Thyme I used about a teaspoon 1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder 1/8 teaspoon Salt 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper 1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs 1 Egg Mix and form into 1-inch meatballs Pan Fry the meatballs until they are browned on most of the outside. (I like a little crust on mine) Remove them from the pan, set aside and pour off most of the oil. To the hot pan add: 1/4 Cup diced onion Cook for about 1 minute scraping up brown bits Add 2 cloves of diced Garlic Add 2 Tablespoons of Tomato Paste Keep stirring and scrapping up brown bits for another minute or two until the garlic and tomato paste is slightly browned. Add a 28oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add 1 sprig of Rosemary (remove before serving) 1/2 teaspoon fresh Thyme Salt and Pepper to taste. Stir, add your meatballs and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes (stirring and tuning the meatballs every 5 minutes) Serve over pasta cooked how you like it. Grate some fresh cheese on top I used the good stuff but you can use what you have. Garnish with your choice of fresh herbs (I used Flat Leaf Parsley but Fresh Basil would be best) [IMG]http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z467/powerplantop/MeatballsFB_zps8f9387dd.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews