Meatballs in Red Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After trying Grandma Maronis recipe and making a few changes, I find it to be my go to for Italian style meatballs. I also use Nina's and I'm very happy Costco started carrying the smaller cans.

I found Nina's at Costco and now they are gone. They only had the gallon can previously. I was good with that. They had only Contadina crushed tomato's this time!
They also did away with the bi-fold wax paper sheets I have gotten so used to having at my disposal.
Whats next?

This really bothers me!

I found Nina's at Costco and now they are gone. They only had the gallon can previously. I was good with that. They had only Contadina crushed tomato's this time!
They also did away with the bi-fold wax paper sheets I have gotten so used to having at my disposal.
Whats next?

This really bothers me!

Since I have gained access to Restaurant Depot, I don't rely on Costco as much.

Since I became unattached and Plague of Locusts moved to Red Stick, I don't depend on Costco at all. I don't need 17 pounds of chicken, a 50 pound bag of potatoes, or all 7 ribs of a prime rib roast.

Since I became unattached and Plague of Locusts moved to Red Stick, I don't depend on Costco at all. I don't need 17 pounds of chicken, a 50 pound bag of potatoes, or all 7 ribs of a prime rib roast.

The Costcos around here offer much smaller packages of chicken, potatoes and meats. Sorry you don't have that available in your area.

Traditionally, the macaroni course (primo) and the meat course (secondo) are served separately. When my Sicilian family ate together we got a bowl of soup first, then a plate of spaghetti. When the spaghetti (primo) course was finished, the meatballs and sausages were brought to the table in a separate bowl. Salad was served last. My father still saves his salad until after he finishes his meal.

my parents still eat their salads last as well. it took me a while when i first struck out on my own to get used to eating salad after soup, then appys.

and yeah. the sequence of italian pasta meals is definitely abbreviated. must be because of working moms hating to cook. :angel:

but ok, americanized convenience; dare i say american work ethic has caused multi - course meals to merge.

ppo, i'm a sort of meatball afficionado. i've gotten recipes from people from sicily and up and around the adriatic down to macedonia (scandinavia, turkey, morrocco, and taiwan, too) and have made many of them.

your recipe strikes me as north eastern adriatic: well herbed, no cheese.

i make mine more in the calabrian / sicilian tradition (as per the folks who taught me). down the back of the boot.

very simple: ground meat, 1 jumbo egg / lb of meat, finely grated cheese, dried parsley, medium to fine breadcrumbs, ground black pepper, a fraction of a pinch of dried basil and oregano, and milk to adjust moistness.

That's my biggest complaint regarding these box store clubs. Also you find a product you really like, and then you find they don't carry it anymore on your next shopping trip there. You waited one shopping trip too many to restock your supply. :angel:

I don't need 50# of potatoes either, so I don't buy them. Now, because I have a deep freezer, good knives and a vacuum sealer, I will buy that rib roast. The savings are worth it.;)

I knew the head butcher, or whatever they call them,
for Costco in Hawaii
He told me that buying those huge cuts of sealed packaged
Choice grade meats is the best you'll find...
well I suppose he probably meant in Hawaii anyways.

So that's what I started doing
Buy a gianormous hunk-o beef,
butcher it myself (thank you DH for buying that beautiful knife),
portion them off and then sealing them
with the FoodSaver and into the deep freeze they go

:cry:
our chest freezer out in the garage died the other week,
so we ordered a new one straight away
thankfully, there wasn't much in it as it was just about time for another run to Costco, PHEW!

I will have to check into another way to get some of these things.
I was so disturbed over this i sent Costco corporate a letter yesterday.

Our Costco does not sell that big a anything. They do cut their steaks about 2.5 inches thick, but there is only 4 per pack.
The packaging is actually quite reasonable for a warehouse club.
It is a warehouse after all. Its better than Sams by a large margin. IMO of course.

That's my biggest complaint regarding these box store clubs. Also you find a product you really like, and then you find they don't carry it anymore on your next shopping trip there. You waited one shopping trip too many to restock your supply. :angel:

Yep, we only need to go once every 3-4 months. But it seems when i find something I really like, it will be gone by the next time I go.
The exception is the Kirkland brand products. They always have them as its there brand.
I'm gonna miss those Nina tomatoes and those deli wraps.

I don't need 50# of potatoes either, so I don't buy them. Now, because I have a deep freezer, good knives and a vacuum sealer, I will buy that rib roast. The savings are worth it.;)

We vacuum and seal everything in dinner (three people) sized portions ourselves.
But I have noticed the beef is as expensive as the grocery store. Chicken is the same way. But pork is half what the grocery stores charge.
Especially the ribs.
Paper products are reasonable too. Costco does have high quality meats though. Much better than their competition.

our chest freezer out in the garage died the other week,
so we ordered a new one straight away
thankfully, there wasn't much in it as it was just about time for another run to Costco, PHEW!

If I could buy another freezer, I would never, never, ever get a chest again.
I have to dig in it every time I need something. Its a pain in the butt. It seems everything or anything I need is on the bottom.
I had to set a table next to the chest to put stuff on as i dig down.

The next freezer will be an upright, with shelves so I can see what I have and what I don't have.
I am done with chest freezers after this one!

Last edited:
If I could buy another freezer, I would never, never, ever get a chest again.
I have to dig in it every time I need something. Its a pain in the butt. It seems everything or anything I need is on the bottom.
I had to set a table next to the chest to put stuff on as i dig down.

The next freezer will be an upright, with shelves so I can see what I have and what I don't have.
I am done with chest freezers after this one!

AGREED!
I should have thought of that one.
But I am working with limited floor space.
I simply ordered the same size chest freezer that died.

If someone every gives you half a deer that hasn't been butchered, you'll be glad of a chest freezer.

I like upright freezers, but I like the chest freezer too. It really helps to have moveable shelves in the upright.

Yet I have noticed the beef is as expensive as the grocery store. Chicken is the same way. But pork is half what the grocery stores charge.Especially the ribs.Paper products are reasonable too. Costco does have high quality meats though. Much better than their competition.

Restaurant Depot, in most cases, is a lot cheaper than Costco or the grocery where meat and seafood is concerned, even when things are on sale. It is even cheaper if you buy by the case. Yes, most of the vegis are sold in giant quantities, but I don't buy them there.

I don't have a go-to recipe for meatballs. I know how to get the texture and flavor I'm trying to achieve and change herbs, spices, chopped veggies, etc. for what I'm trying to achieve. Sometimes I need classic "Italian style meatballs as described by the op. But sometimes the meatballs need to have a Southwestern flavor, or Asian twist. Also, the meats change. I usually use a combination of beef and pork. Chicken meatballs are great with good noodles or rice and a home made sweet and sour sauce.

My favorite to use with tomato sauce includes ground beef, Chudagi Sausage from one particular store in my town, chopped onion, basil, oregano, minced garlic, bread crumbs, a bit of milk, salt, and grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese.

After combining the ingredients, I take a pinch of the meatball mixture and fry it as a flat, quarter sized patty, to test the seasoning and texture, and adjust as required.

I've cooked meatballs by multiple techniques, each giving a little bit different result, all of them good. These include:

1. Place as many meatballs as will fit in a lightly oiled large CI pan, add a half cup of water, cover, and steam until firm. Let the water evaporate, then brown. Add to sauce or recipe.

2. Place meatballs on a large, parchment covered cookie sheet (jelly roll sheet), and pop into a 400' oven until browned. Add to recipe as needed.

3. Pan fry in a couple inches of hot oil until lightly browned and cooked through.

4. Simmer/braise in sauce.

5. Consume someone else's meatballs and forget cooking for a night.;)

One caveat, I really don't like store-bought meatballs. At almost every pot luck at work, someone purchases a bag of pre-made meatballs, throws barbecue sauce, or store-bought beef gravy, and serves it up in a slow cooker.

There are just some people out there with no creativity whatsoever, or who are too lazy to make something good. It drives me crazy. When bringing something to a pot luck, or cooking for company, I always prepare my food the best way I know how, to honor those who are going to eat it. Sadly, there are many who don't. These are the same people who insist on pronouncing tortilla as tor-till-a, and Queso dip as Kon-kway-so dip, which translated means - "with cheese" dip. But they can give you every restaurant in town that serves very large, sub-standard plates of whatever. They are more interested in cheap, and convenient, and think of Applebee's as gourmet food:ohmy:, cooked by highly trained chefs.

Ok, I'm done.

Back to meatballs, as with everything I make, I like to change up the recipes. I love wondrous variety, and encourage everyone to experiment, and create things unique and delicious.

For instance, try this meatball recipe and serve with a good rice pilaf, or noodles with sweet and sour sauce:

Chief's Chicken Meatballs

Ingredients:
1 large chicken breast
2 large chicken thighs
3 stalks celery
 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. onion powder
1 medium egg, lightly beaten

Skin and remove the chicken from the bones and either mince in food processor, or run through a meat grinder. Mince the garlic and add with the onion powder to the meat. Finely chop the celery and add it to the chicken with the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
The trick to these meatballs is egg. Lacking sufficient fat to hold them together, the protein rich egg white coats each morsel of meat, acting like the fat in a hamburger. It binds them.
Shape into 1 inch meatballs and gently sauté until lightly browned on all sides. Serve with Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce, white rice and butter, and with steamed carrots. Arrange artistically on dark plates and serve with pineapple sweet and sour sauce.
Makes approximately 24 meatballs.

Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce
This syrup based sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated. It compliments egg rolls, chicken stir fries, won tons, etc. It can also be used with ham and pastas.
Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth (water can be used if no broth is available)
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 tbs. onion powder or 1/4 onion finely chopped
2 cloves crushed garlic
16 oz. can crushed or chunk pineapple (substitute  cup lemon juice if used for seafood)
 cup firmly packed brown sugar (substitute  cup white granulated sugar if lemon juice is used)
1/8 cup balsamic, or apple cider vinegar
1/4 chopped sweet pepper (optional but omit if lemon juice is used)
2 tbs. cornstarch mixed with 4 oz. water

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Other than Sweeeedish meatballs, I can take them or leave them. However, I have five very nice eggplants and am going to turn them into this tonight:

{Eggplant} Polpette di Melanzane - The Free Range Life

These will need a red gravy and pasta (or maybe not the pasta).

And I scored a friend's "unwanted, got too many darned tomatoes, tomatoes" so will make a tomato sauce to freeze separately.

All this talk about meatballs and tomato sauce has prompted me to dig out the last meal of Sunday ragu with meatballs and sausage for dinner tonight.

Meatballs:
1 pound lean ground beef
Fresh Thyme I used about a teaspoon
1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/8 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs
1 Egg

Mix and form into 1-inch meatballs

Pan Fry the meatballs until they are browned on most of the outside. (I like a little crust on mine) Remove them from the pan, set aside and pour off most of the oil.

To the hot pan add:
1/4 Cup diced onion
Cook for about 1 minute scraping up brown bits
Add 2 cloves of diced Garlic
Add 2 Tablespoons of Tomato Paste
Keep stirring and scrapping up brown bits for another minute or two until the garlic and tomato paste is slightly browned.
Add a 28oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
Add 1 sprig of Rosemary (remove before serving)
1/2 teaspoon fresh Thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Stir, add your meatballs and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes (stirring and tuning the meatballs every 5 minutes)

Serve over pasta cooked how you like it.
Grate some fresh cheese on top I used the good stuff but you can use what you have.
Garnish with your choice of fresh herbs (I used Flat Leaf Parsley but Fresh Basil would be best)

Yum!!! That sounds wonderful! Thanks for your recipe!

I know we have a lot of members in Italy. And they do not put their meatballs in the gravy and serve with the pasta. But like the pizza, Americans have taken the original and made it their own. So now it is Italian-American food. But we all owe our Italian members a big "thank you" for giving us the start of some great traditions of our own. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom