Meatballs in Red Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef
Meatballs:
1 pound lean ground beef
Fresh Thyme I used about a teaspoon
1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/8 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs
1 Egg

Mix and form into 1-inch meatballs

Pan Fry the meatballs until they are browned on most of the outside. (I like a little crust on mine) Remove them from the pan, set aside and pour off most of the oil.

To the hot pan add:
1/4 Cup diced onion
Cook for about 1 minute scraping up brown bits
Add 2 cloves of diced Garlic
Add 2 Tablespoons of Tomato Paste
Keep stirring and scrapping up brown bits for another minute or two until the garlic and tomato paste is slightly browned.
Add a 28oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
Add 1 sprig of Rosemary (remove before serving)
1/2 teaspoon fresh Thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Stir, add your meatballs and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes (stirring and tuning the meatballs every 5 minutes)

Serve over pasta cooked how you like it.
Grate some fresh cheese on top I used the good stuff but you can use what you have.
Garnish with your choice of fresh herbs (I used Flat Leaf Parsley but Fresh Basil would be best)

img_1384544_0_667e0c0ba61873d22dcf229240b7ae94.jpg

I must make a similar dish at least once a week :LOL:
Have you tried using canned San Marzano Tomatoes?
What a world of difference.
Have you tried making your own pasta from scratch?
I find it very relaxing, so long as I have the time and no one will interrupt me... "can I have ..." :)

YUMMMM.......stay right there while I get a fork and a bib.

I do have some left over. :LOL:

I must make a similar dish at least once a week :LOL:
Have you tried using canned San Marzano Tomatoes?
What a world of difference.
Have you tried making your own pasta from scratch?
I find it very relaxing, so long as I have the time and no one will interrupt me... "can I have ..." :)

I have used San Marzano but this time I used regular ones but I did use the Cento brand for the tomatoes and paste.
I have made my own but due to lack of time it has been a long time. I bout the attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer about 6 months ago and it has not been out of the box.

I have made my own but due to lack of time it has been a long time. I bout the attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer about 6 months ago and it has not been out of the box.

I've had mine for, wow, it's gotta be more than 10 years now,
and you just can't beat homemade pasta, made with semolina,
WOW WOW WOW!
I roll out sheets and hand cut the dough to any size we like,
not just sticking to the two cutters in the box for spaghetti or fettuccine. DH likes his pasta thick and with some chew to it.
I'm not sure if I want this or not ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32pVBck4S8Y

Last edited:
I have used San Marzano but this time I used regular ones but I did use the Cento brand for the tomatoes and paste.

I used to buy Cento, but then I found San Marzanos at
Trader Joe's... 28oz can for only $3.99...
I've always got at least two cans in the pantry,
and now I 'put up' my sauce in pint sized mason jars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to buy Cento, but then I found San Marzanos at
Trader Joe's... 28oz can for only $3.99...
I've always got at least two cans in the pantry,
and now I 'put up' my sauce in pint sized mason jars.

I use Nina Italian Imported tomato's. At least I did. Costco has been letting me down lately.
I never made meatballs with just ground spices. I always chop up peppers, onions, parsley and garlic when i make them.
OP your recipe would sure save me a lot of time though.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I make meatballs I use one pound each of ground
pork
veal
beef
fresh garlic
fresh flat leaf parsley
S&P
a palmful of dried oregano
a palmful of grated Parm
1 egg
fresh bread crumbs
a splash of milk to moisten
.. this makes a heard of meatballs that I scoop out with a small disher for uniform sizing out on to a half sheet pan, flash freeze and then put into a gallon-sized freezer ziptop bag... I have meatballs anytime I want to serve them :yum:

Attachments

• more meatballs.jpg
    more meatballs.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 245
  • meatballs.jpg
    meatballs.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 230
After trying Grandma Maronis recipe and making a few changes, I find it to be my go to for Italian style meatballs. I also use Nina's and I'm very happy Costco started carrying the smaller cans.

Last edited:
After trying Grandma Maronis recipe and making a few changes, I find it to be my go to for Italian style meatballs. I also use Nina's and I'm very happy Costco started carrying the smaller cans.

First time of hearing of this recipe but it looks really good.

Powerplantop, According to Julia and us Bostonians along with Italians, once you put meat into it, it becomes gravy. Sunday gravy in fact. Just ask any Italian nonni. :angel:

First time of hearing of this recipe but it looks really good.

The changes I made were:
Subbing parm regg for the romano
I cut the parsley in 1/2 and replace it with fresh oregano
I use a micro plane to "grate" the onion, which ends up more of a liquid than a solid
I also use the micro plane for the garlic

I also make my own Sunday Gravy.

Last edited:
Traditionally, the macaroni course (primo) and the meat course (secondo) are served separately. When my Sicilian family ate together we got a bowl of soup first, then a plate of spaghetti. When the spaghetti (primo) course was finished, the meatballs and sausages were brought to the table in a separate bowl. Salad was served last. My father still saves his salad until after he finishes his meal.

Traditionally, the macaroni course (primo) and the meat course (secondo) are served separately. When my Sicilian family ate together we got a bowl of soup first, then a plate of spaghetti. When the spaghetti (primo) course was finished, the meatballs and sausages were brought to the table in a separate bowl. Salad was served last. My father still saves his salad until after he finishes his meal.

Yes. Traditional spaghetti and meatballs is an Italian-American creation.

Back
Top Bottom