Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those of you who use oats, which one have you had better experience with, as far as the texture of the meatloaf goes? Quick oats or old fashioned whole?

For those of you who use oats, which one have you had better experience with, as far as the texture of the meatloaf goes? Quick oats or old fashioned whole?

I’ve used both no different in my opinion.

I love meat loaf, and the main reason I make it is for the sandwiches. :yum: Now I'm going to have to make one, it's been a while.

Me, too!

While I often find reasons to avoid eating meatloaf in the way it is intended, I love a cold meatloaf sandwich on a kaiser roll with mustard and onions.

Bucky, same here. I'll have a slice of meat loaf for dinner the day I make it, but the leftover sandwiches are bonus. I like it best barely warmed - just enough to get the chill off - with mayo on an onion bun. But any bread will do. LOL :yum:

Bucky, same here. I'll have a slice of meat loaf for dinner the day I make it, but the leftover sandwiches are bonus. I like it best barely warmed - just enough to get the chill off - with mayo on an onion bun. But any bread will do. LOL :yum:

Ohh yes, there's nothing better than a meatloaf sandwich and this is how I make mine, except on meatloaf sandwiches, I prefer Miracle Whip. But the onion definitely has to be there.

Ohh yes, there's nothing better than a meatloaf sandwich and this is how I make mine, except on meatloaf sandwiches, I prefer Miracle Whip. But the onion definitely has to be there.

Oh yes. I am so craving a meatloaf sandwich now! :chef::yum:

I only buy the Old Fashion Whole Oats. I use them at times for Oatmeal cookies and still make a pot of oatmeal for Pirate. If I am in the mood for making meatloaf, I sometimes will make it following the recipe on the box.

Meatloaf sandwiches remind me of my old camping days with my young family. The packing wasn't complete until a huge meatloaf was added to the ice chest for sandwiches, especially on the tiresome first night with setting up camp.

I agree, sliced onion is a must and hopefully a red one sliced paper thin.

Oh yeah, meatloaf for the start of the new year!!

Meatloaf sandwiches remind me of my old camping days with my young family. The packing wasn't complete until a huge meatloaf was added to the ice chest for sandwiches, especially on the tiresome first night with setting up camp.

I agree, sliced onion is a must and hopefully a red one sliced paper thin.

Oh yeah, meatloaf for the start of the new year!!

That sounds like a plan to me. I think I will pull out the oatmeal box and use that recipe.

I think I used to use bread crumbs. Now I use crushed Weetabix or crushed breakfast cereal flakes. It adds a little something extra.

I used crushed up Grape-Nuts Flakes to make Apple Brown Betty once. I was very good. Expensive, but very good!

Yes, I know! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reminds me of tomatoes in summer. At my local farmer's market, I like to grab the great big ones that will cover an entire piece of bread with one slice.

Dang, now I want this...

underground-deli-meatloaf-sandwich.jpg

That settles it, I'm making meatloaf for Sunday dinner this weekend.

I have used crushed Doritos or Fritos along with taco seasoning and salsa to make meatloaf. A pleasant difference.

I have used crushed Doritos or Fritos along with taco seasoning and salsa to make meatloaf. A pleasant difference.

A cousin of mine used to do that. Or she probably still does. Any kind of chip she would have on hand, she would crush and put into her meatloaves. Her personal favorite was Doritos, but I've even seen her use potato chips, especially the thicker wavy kind.

Because of all this discussion about meat loaf, I sent an email to Omaha Steaks asking if they could start offering a meatloaf/meatball mix of 1 lb ground beef, ½ lb ground pork and ½ lb ground veal in 1 pound packs, 2 packs to a box. I buy meatloaf/meatball mix at the grocery store, but the quality of Omaha Steaks meat is far superior to Wiggleman's.

When they only offered boneless/skinless chicken breasts, I sent an email asking them what they did with the rest of the chicken, and now they offer boneless/skinless chicken legs and thighs, and chicken wings, so I know they listen.

Last edited:
Because of all this discussion about meat loaf, I sent an email to Omaha Steaks asking if they could start offering a meatloaf/meatball mix of 1 lb ground beef, ½ lb ground pork and ½ lb ground veal in 1 pound packs, 2 packs to a box. I buy meatloaf/meatball mix at the grocery store, but the quality of Omaha Steaks meat is far superior to Wiggleman's.

When they only offered boneless/skinless chicken breasts, I sent an email asking them what they did with the rest of the chicken, and now they offer boneless/skinless chicken legs and thighs, and chicken wings, so I know they listen.

That sounds like a nice idea. They have some good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom