Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I've always soaked pieces of bread in a little bit of milk for meatloaf. It was tedious to work the bread into the meat.

I've got a can of bread crumbs. Doh! Works the same?

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you decide to do that, soak them in more milk. The milk is what makes the meat soft and tender. The bread project is just a filler and a way to get the milk in there to soften the bread and meat.

https://www.thekitchn.com/5-common-...n-making-meatloaf-tips-from-the-kitchn-213508

That's a very good link with common mistakes. Like one of the posters I'd agree with this also..
add a 6th note...
don't overwork the meat mixture. I see TV personalities dump the meat in a bowl and then add all the rest of the ingredients on top and then try to mix it all together. The result is overworked, dry meatloaf. I prefer to mix all the ingredients (except for the meat) together and then add it to the meat, mixing it gently. Results in much better meatloaf.

Last edited:
I can't help but overwork the meat when trying to get all the bread pieces incorporated. That's why I asked about bread crumbs instead of bread pieces. It'll be easier adding soaked bread crumbs.

From what little I know, the bread is what makes it a "loaf" and not a giant hamburger. It makes the ground beef bake up not so dense. It takes more effort mixing bread pieces into my loaf. I'm going to start using bread crumbs instead.

Last edited:
I've always used breadcrumbs and eggs. No milk. Same with meatballs. Texture is not an issue. Both come out tender and delicious.

I use rolled oats or breadcrumbs and beaten egg in my meatloaf. I can't recall using milk.

Last edited:
I've always used breadcrumbs and eggs. No milk. Same with meatballs. Texture is not an issue. Both come out tender and delicious.

Yeah, I use a pound of ground chuck, a pound of ground pork, two eggs and a half-cup of bread crumbs. Then, it's just diced onions, garlic, and whatever herbs and spices sound good to me at the time.

It always comes out moist and tender.

I also always cook mine on the Weber Kettle, indirect, with charcoal and some hickory wood chunks for a little smoke.

CD

For about a pound and a half of ground beef, I mix together an egg, half a cup or so of bread crumbs or oatmeal, a good sized handful each of chopped bell pepper and onion, plenty of salt and pepper, and blend it all together before mixing into the meat. That way it only gets mixed once, and I definitely agree with others that overworking the meat results in a tough meat loaf.

I don't sauté the veggies first, and haven't had any problem with them being crunchy, since the meat loaf bakes for at least an hour.

I've used milk to soften the bread crumbs before, but haven't done that in a while.

I don't use a loaf pan - I form the mixture into a loaf about the size of a loaf pan, and bake it on a rack in a shallow casserole dish so the fat drains away.

I love meat loaf, and the main reason I make it is for the sandwiches. :yum: Now I'm going to have to make one, it's been a while.

Last edited:
That's a very good link with common mistakes. Like one of the posters I'd agree with this also..

I don't squeeze the mixture. I do the divide and turn over. It does take a bit longer, but it is always moist. And I do use the milk. Sometimes even evaporated milk mixed with water.

Like a couple of previous posters, I use oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs, and I've never put milk in it. It's how my Mom made it and it's how I prefer it. Egg, chopped onion, salt and pepper, and oatmeal. Mix into the meat gently, and then I bake it in a loaf pan for about 45 minutes. Then I pour a can of cream of mushroom soup over it, and dot sliced pimento stuffed olives over it and return to the oven until done.

I've tried other mixes and sauces, but I've always returned to my roots.

I don't use bread or bread crumbs. I use rolled oats.

Old Fashioned Meat Loaf​
Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbs light olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 tsp Garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp Oregano
  • 1½ cups tomato sauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 lbs meat loaf mix (1 lb beef, ½ lb pork, ½ lb veal)
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
Glaze
  • ¼ cup ketchup
  • 2 Tbs brown sugar
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • ½ tsp mustard powder
Instructions:

Sauté the onion, bell pepper, and celery in 2 Tbs of olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add the tomato sauce, the garlic and the oregano, simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, and allow to cool.

In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice and mustard powder.

Preheat the oven to 375F.

Whisk the egg in a large bowl. Add the meat loaf mix and oats to the egg and mix thoroughly. Add ½ cup of the sauce and combine the sauce with the meat mixture. Pat the mixture into a greased loaf pan, invert the loaf pan onto a broiler pan and remove the loaf pan. Bake the meat loaf in a 375F oven for 1 hour. Slice meatloaf into 8 servings and top each serving with 2 Tbs tomato sauce.

I don't use crumbs or milk. I use uncooked rolled oats instead.

I think I used to use bread crumbs. Now I use crushed Weetabix or crushed breakfast cereal flakes. It adds a little something extra.

I'll have to try the oats. I usually use bread crumbs, or sometimes crushed saltine crackers. I also add a 1/2 pound of ground turkey to the ground meat. It keeps the meatloaf from falling apart, giving it a nice firm texture.

The meatloaf I make most often is a pound each of lamb and beef with two eggs and breadcrumbs along with onion, tomato, parsley and seasonings.

That's "my" basic recipe, tenspeed! I have the old Quaker cook booklet with recipes for baked goods and entrees using Quaker Oats. Still turns out fine even when I use oatmeal from Aldi or the Amish bulk food store, though. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom