Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dove

DC Grandma
My hubby is not a picky eater but would like a meatloaf that has more flavor then the one on the back of the oatmeal box. I do add garlic and so metimes Woster sauce or and horshradish.

I know there are a lot of great cooks out there...
Dove

My son doesn't like meatloaf but he likes meatballs - soooooooo....... I just make the meatball recipe that is on the can of either Devonshire or Progresso - can't remember. It calls for onion, oregano, milk, garlic, etc.

It is good!

meatballs

This might sound dumb but what is is the cans? Soup is all I can think of out here.
Dove

the secret is in the sauce...

make a good sauce for your meat loaf, and it will do wonders for it, no matter what kind of herbs or flavorings you add. i get the feeling that some of my recipes may seem a bit too intimidating or complicated for some of the people here, so this a simplified version:

Wild Mushroom Sauce

Yield: 4-5 Servings

Ingredients:

1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
4 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh button mushrooms
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh cremini mushrooms
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup beef or veal stock
2 Tbsp. All purpose flour
2 tsp. fresh thyme
2 tsp. fresh oregano
1 tsp. fresh garlic, finely chopped
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly Ground Pepper

Method:

Melt the butter in a sauce pan on medium high heat, and saute the red onion and garlic until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add all mushrooms and 1 tsp. kosher salt, and sauté until tender, approx. 3-4 minutes. Stir in flour to form a roux, and cook until flour starts to brown. Whisk in the red wine and reduce for approx. 3-4 minutes. Add the stock, and the thyme and oregano, simmer for approx. 5-6 minutes until the sauce is thickened. Season to taste with the kosher salt and pepper.

Here is a meatloaf recipe that my family loves

Meat Loaf
1 pound ground beef
1 pound country style (bulk) sausage
1 small onion finely diced
1/2 cup finely diced bell pepper
6 cloves garlic finely minced
1 tbsp. Worcesteshire Sauce (there is only 1...Lea & Perrins)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup UNseasoned bread crumbs
1 egg
1 1/2 tbsp. EACH fresh Marjoram, Basil and Thyme

Pre-heat oven to 325. Mix ingredients thoroughlly. Use your hands but go quickly...you don't want the fat to start melting. Spray a broiler pan and pour the mixture out onto it. Form the mixture into a loaf and place into oven. Cook until probe thermometer reaches 155 or for about 1 hour. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Carve and serve. Try this with Ironchefs extraordinary looking mushroom sauce!

ironchef - I've worked in a "fully stocked" kitchen before with everything at your fingertips - 99% of our homes are not stocked like that :cry:

Everyday life interferes with some of my favorite recipes! :? LOL People don't have time to make something that is going to take 2 hours (or more) to prepare, or the prep work time in making the stocks to make the reductions to make the sauces - and it goes on. When it's your job, as it was mine, that's what you do 16 hours a day. Most people have about 1 hour to get dinner on the table, then it's clean up dishes, bathe the kids, pick up around the house, put the kids to bed, sit down and catch your breath, then it's time to start laundry - gosh, I hate to put it into words!!! :roll: But you get the picture.

BUT your recipes are awesome and I know I've cooked a couple of them - I'll have to go back through my files and see which ones. So...... keep em comin'!!! Your knowledge is very much appreciated.

lol i guess not being married and having no kids is different. plus maybe i'm a little different. i remember my parents would get home from work, and their philosophy would be more like "what can I make for dinner with what we have?". my philisophy is more like "well, I want to make this so I'm going to the store to get it." but then again, I only cook on my days off, and not after a long day at work. after a long day at work, mickey d's does my cooking.

but a lot of the sauces don't take that long to make, most can be done within 30 minutes. you can use either canned beef and chicken broth for the stock, or the paste form that you mix with hot water. as long as you start the reduction first thing, then you can do all of your prep, and then cook the rest of the dish while the sauce is finishing up. but then again, i only cook for my girlfriends, and friends that come over, and none of them have kids. probably most kids just rather have a box of mac 'n cheese with hot dogs?

Specifically - a BLUE box of mac and cheese!! LOL

And what happens if you attempt to make these recipes on weekends you find that they really aren't that hard - I made some shrimp and grits one time and I swear it took all day :roll: but I got home at 7:30 one night and that's what I WANTED!!! whaaaa...... :P And it only took me about 30-45 minutes from start to finish!! Of course when I cooked the other I was making for about 25 people (that could possibly, maybe, partially, be why it took so long!! :? )

And now there are so many concentrates you can buy at the grocery store - they are not cheap (at $5.00 to $7.00 or so a small container).... let me clarify that $5.00 to $7.00 is not THAT much but sometimes you can feed a family of 4 on a quickie cooking night for $5.00! LOL). I'm going to have to experiment with some of these concentrations. I finally made the restaurant I worked for quit using beef base for soups - how tacky when we were the best restaurant in the area - and they still are. How could that be if I'm not there? ;)

Back
Top Bottom