Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

advoca

Senior Cook
I have gathered several interesting recipes for meatloaves, but I have two questions.

1. where the recipe calls for quick-cook oats can I use fresh breadcrumbs instead?

2. Most of the recipes say leave to rest and then serve. But serve with what? I cannot imagine eating meatloaf on its own. What should accompany it?

Advice would be appreciated.

advoca said:
1. where the recipe calls for quick-cook oats can I use fresh breadcrumbs instead?

Yes.

advoca said:
2. Most of the recipes say leave to rest and then serve. But serve with what? I cannot imagine eating meatloaf on its own. What should accompany it?

Mashed potatoes and green beans are a "typical" paring for meatloaf. If you want to gussey it up a bit - you can substitute mashed turnips in place of the potatoes, and replace the green beans with zucchini sauted with a slice of diced bacon, onion, garlic and simmered in a little tomato sauce.

I'll second the mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes and corn is a hit with my family.

Meatloaf sandwiches the next day are also huge with my family.

On a slight tangent, you can also make yummy sandwiches out of lasagna served between two pieces of garlic bread.

That meatloaf can go with a whole host of foods, depending on how you make it. For more traditional meatloaves, serve with smached spuds and gravy, or on top of whole wheat bread, the whole thing topped with gravy. Baked beans make a great side, as do corn, steamed carrots with honey-butter, etc.

If you want to add variety, throw some chopped hallepinioes (sp), cumin, chopped onion, and coriander into the meatloaf mixture. Use farina as the filler instead of breadcrumbs or rolled oats. Add 1 egg to this mixture (based on 1 lb of ground beef) to serve as a binder. I take that meatloaf mixture and form in into a volcano shaped mound, then remove it from the oven when done, and fill the cavity with enchilada sauce, which drips down the sides. Next, take refried beans and spread over a cookie sheet. Place your volcano onto the beans and sprinkle shreds of colbyjack cheese here and there to make the "lava" glow. Place into the oven again to melt the cheese just a bit.

You can also make a great meatloaf from ground pork or chicken, adding chinese 5-spice powder, chopped onion, chopped garlic, a bit of soy sauce, and ginger. Serve with rice and a pineapple sweet & sour sauce.

You can really get as creative as you want with meat mixtures. And don't forget terrines and pate's with layers of sliced, raw meat, and herbs/spices piled into the loaf pan. Chill and slice as you would luncheon meat.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I think you can use just about any starch in a meat loaf. When trying to cut down on meat and beef up the nutrients, I've used mashed beans about half-and-half with the ground beef ... it made a startlingly light meatloaf.

I agree with everyone that mashed potatoes and green beans are sort of the all-American tradition. I grew up with a green salad with every meal as well.

I, too, vary my methods and ingredients. Sometimes it is Italian spices, tomato sauce, pasta, and salad. Sometimes Asian spices, rice or noodles, and salad. Sometimes ginger snaps as the starch, knudel or other types of duplings, salad. OK, the salad is getting borning, but it really isn't ... the salad is made to go with the seasonings in the meat loaf. Oh, when you use the ginger snaps, put a big dill pickel in the middle so there's a slice of pickle in every slice of meat loaf.

meatloaf help?

I was wondering if anyone knew of any foolproof meatloaf recipes...I've checked on various websites like epicurious and foodtv but I think some of them sound way too complicated or incorporate too many flavors. I'm looking for a classic, homestyle meatloaf. Help! Also, advoca mentioned substituting breadcrumbs for oats...I've noticed oats in a few meatloaf recipes...I always assumed ppl used breadcrumbs...what kind of texture do the oats lend to the meatloaf? I just worry that they would make it a bit funky?:huh: Thanks!!

I nearly always serve mashed potatoes with meatloaf, & either green beans or green peas. However, if it's an ethnic-inspired recipe, like an Italian or Mexican-style meatloaf, than I might serve it with some sauced pasta & zucchini, or Spanish rice & Mexican-style corn.

my MEAT LOAF T&T

about 2lbs. or more ground chuck
2 eggs
1 cup of italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup onions chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper chopped
1/3 cup ketchup
1tbs mustard
2 tbs wostershire sauce

combine all ingredients well
mold in a loaf pan
turn out on to cooking sheet (with sides)
back for 1 hour 15 minutes
at 375 degrees
last 15 mines rub on top, ketchup or tomatoe paste
which ever you prefer

My kids always liked beef flavor Rice-a-Roni with mushrooms, and corn or green beens with their meatloaf. Sometimes we had baked potatoes instead. It wasn't until I married Kim that I knew about having mashed potatoes with it, and they are good.
But so was the Rice-a-Roni.

Here's my basic meatloaf recipe:

Killer Meatloaf

3 lbs ground chuck
1+ cups spaghetti sauce divided
1-1/2 sleeves Saltines; crushed
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Reserve 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce. In large bowl, mix remaining ingredients thoroughly. Place in large sprayed baking dish and pat firmly into loaf shape.

Cover and bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 45-60 minutes. Remove pan from oven, dump off any grease, and spread on reserved sauce. Return to oven, and cook, uncovered, until done, about another 30 minutes, or until internal temp reaches 150. Remove from oven, cover with foil, and let stand for 15 minutes.

Micro-wave Instructions:
Cover and cook in microwave on med-high for 15 minutes. Remove lid, discard any drippings, and spread remaining sauce on top of loaf. Cook, uncovered, on high for 10 more minutes. Check temp with meat thermometer if in doubt. Remove, cover with foil, and let stand for 15 minutes.

*Note: As alternative, you may substitute catsup for spaghetti sauce, and add a packet of dry onion soup mix.
*Or use BBQ sauce, and add a tablespoon of brown sugar.

I’m also thinking of a Mexican version with corn, re-fried beans, green chilies, and El Patio tomato sauce. Then maybe put cheese on top at the end?
I think I may be onto something. Would anyone want to pitch in on this recipe?

Back
Top Bottom