"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Meatloaf

what mixture of ground meat do most of you use for meatloaf?

i tend to use 90/10 or even 93/7 (beef or turkey), which i know is probably way too lean for most others' taste....we are having a big group over today, so instead im using 80/20, partly because i know most people (beside my wife and i) will prefer that, and partly because the really lean stuff is too expensive when cooking for that many people....my only concern is that when the loaf is done, its going to be sitting in a pool of its own grease...is this likely to happen? sort of grosses me out thinking of the meat sitting in that, and re-soaking alot of it back up

when we use the lean stuff, there is no pooling of fat at all...and its still very moist, probably thanks to the recipe

we can also debate over the best meatloaf recipe....like many people, im sure, i swear that my mom's is the best ever, and it might be...happy to share the recipe if people like

Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I put my meatloaf on a rack covered with foil, with holes poked in to drain the fat. No pooling.

I use a mixture of 80/20 and ground pork to make my mealoaf. Add-ins vary according to mood and what's on hand.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Master Chef

You can make the loaf and place it on a rack. I've also seen pans that have an insert with perforations that nests inside to allow drainage of fat. You might try something similar. you can add holes to an aluminum pan that would fit in your usual dish to elevate the loaf and allow draining of the fat while cooking. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I usually use as lean as I can get. When I grind meat for it I cut as much fat as I can.

I do mix with some ground pork and veal as well so that might compensate.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Don't cook the meatloaf in a loaf pan.

I mix the meatloaf and put it into a loaf pan to shape it then turn it out onto a pan for cooking. This allows any fat to run off into the pan and gives you a nice crust on all sides except the bottom.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Senior Cook

right, i never cook it in a loaf pan....i planned on placing the formed loaf in the middle of a large pyrex lasagna pan, which will allows the fat to run away a bit, but with a 7 pound (!!) loaf, i think there will still be enough fat to pool....rack with perforated foil isnt a bad idea, but i dont know if i have one big enough for the loaf...maybe i have 2?

btw, the crusty top and ends are the best

what does everyone dip the meatloaf in? im big on ketchup, occasionally bbq sauce, and i know others like gravy or nothing
Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

You could cook the meatloaf on a broiler pan. That would allow the fat to run off and collect away from the meat.

I don't top my meatloaf with anything. The flavorings are in the meat.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
right, i never cook it in a loaf pan....i planned on placing the formed loaf in the middle of a large pyrex lasagna pan, which will allows the fat to run away a bit, but with a 7 pound (!!) loaf, i think there will still be enough fat to pool....rack with perforated foil isnt a bad idea, but i dont know if i have one big enough for the loaf...maybe i have 2?

btw, the crusty top and ends are the best

what does everyone dip the meatloaf in? im big on ketchup, occasionally bbq sauce, and i know others like gravy or nothing
My last meatloaf had well drained and chopped chop suey veggies and pineapple in it and I glazed it with sweet and sour sauce.

Regular meatloaf, I use gravy, usually an onion gravy.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I couldn't tell you what percentage fat my beef is, but I always mix half ground beef and half ground pork. I use a pan and it's never swimming in flavor... err, I mean grease ;^)
I've been meaning to make a free form loaf one of these days.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Senior Cook

ill occasionally make this really awesome asian style meatloaf....fresh ginger, honey, soy, cilantro, some other stuff....really good

Tags
None