"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,671
Meatloaf

Meatloaf.
This is going to be a ridiculous request that I need help with. The meatloaf I have made the past two times has been too moist. Not to me, but to my husband. He would like a more 'chewy' meatloaf. So please help.

For each lb of hamburger I usually add, a handful or more of bread or cracker crumbs, 1 egg, salt and pepper, some ketchup or tomato sauce.

Later today I'm making meatloaf again, can you make suggestions so that I make a more chewy meatloaf?
__________________

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Meatloaf...Later today I'm making meatloaf again, can you make suggestions so that I make a more chewy meatloaf?
Fewer breadcrumbs and less liquid.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Fewer breadcrumbs and less liquid.
Thank you Andy! Later today I'll be giving that a try.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,567
Rather than putting it in the meat, I put ketchup on top as a glaze about 10 minutes before it's done cooking. To flavor it up, I add one minced clove of garlic, a tsp of Worcestershire sauce and about a half teaspoon of dried sage.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Rather than putting it in the meat, I put ketchup on top as a glaze about 10 minutes before it's done cooking. To flavor it up, I add one minced clove of garlic, a tsp of Worcestershire sauce and about a half teaspoon of dried sage.
Okay, so the ketchup on the top at the end of baking, flavorings like garlic and worcestershire, I can't go with sage, maybe thyme, an egg, and a 1/4th cup of crumbs (I'm going to crumb it sparcely), s and p. A plan? I'll let you both know how this turns out. I'm thinking I may need to bake it a little longer. I've given some thought to adding some gelatin, as a chewy type factor, but I don't know yet.

(sage kind of strikes me as a chicken/turkey spice)
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Okay, so the ketchup on the top at the end of baking, flavorings like garlic and worcestershire, I can't go with sage, maybe thyme, an egg, and a 1/4th cup of crumbs (I'm going to crumb it sparcely), s and p. A plan? I'll let you both know how this turns out. I'm thinking I may need to bake it a little longer. I've given some thought to adding some gelatin, as a chewy type factor, but I don't know yet.

(sage kind of strikes me as a chicken/turkey spice)
We love it with sage, and there are quite a few Italian dishes that pair beef and pork with sage, but if you prefer thyme, go for it btw, I use a mix of 1 lb. ground beef and 1/2 lb. ground pork for meatloaf and meatballs.

Your plan sounds good. I bake mine in a loaf pan for about an hour and a half. I also pour off the juices as soon as I take it out of the oven, so they don't get reabsorbed into the meat. Then I use them to make gravy, because what's meatloaf without mashed potatoes and gravy?
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We love it with sage, and there are quite a few Italian dishes that pair beef and pork with sage, but if you prefer thyme, go for it btw, I use a mix of 1 lb. ground beef and 1/2 lb. ground pork for meatloaf and meatballs.

Your plan sounds good. I bake mine in a loaf pan for about an hour and a half. I also pour off the juices as soon as I take it out of the oven, so they don't get reabsorbed into the meat. Then I use them to make gravy, because what's meatloaf without mashed potatoes and gravy?
I never pour off the juices and maybe that is a big factor. I never thought of that. All this time I thought people wanted moist meatloaf but I might be overdoing it. I'm looking for some jerky meatloaf, lol
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 8,648
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I never pour off the juices and maybe that is a big factor. I never thought of that. All this time I thought people wanted moist meatloaf but I might be overdoing it. I'm looking for some jerky meatloaf, lol
Sounds like DH want his meatloaf with the texture of a hamburger. Nothing wrong with that, just not normal.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sounds like DH want his meatloaf with the texture of a hamburger. Nothing wrong with that, just not normal.
I'm starting to get that. He's not normal and I'm not normal, we are truly freaks and I have no problem with that! The greatest part is that anyone else's opinion of us is really none of our business. We probably ought to care but we don't.

Sir Loin, my mom used to use oatmeal too and I think maybe that is what I'm looking for. Oatmeal has some gelatin like qualities. Something to absorb all the liquids and dry it all out. I shouldn't probably throw out the dishwater with the baby, just because momma was bizzarre, doesn't mean her recipes were bad.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I'm starting to get that. He's not normal and I'm not normal, we are truly freaks and I have no problem with that! The greatest part is that anyone else's opinion of us is really none of our business. We probably ought to care but we don't...
You shouldn't care. One of the reasons we cook for ourselves is so we can eat what we want.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #12
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calosso, Piemonte
Posts: 805
I do the Chief's meatloaf recipe. Works every time!


di reston


Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You shouldn't care. One of the reasons we cook for ourselves is so we can eat what we want.
+1 I'm all at that.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,671
Thank you for the opinions and telling me some awesome ideas, I felt like I was failing at meatloaf but you all have great ideas and I appreciate it.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I'm starting to get that. He's not normal and I'm not normal, we are truly freaks and I have no problem with that! The greatest part is that anyone else's opinion of us is really none of our business. We probably ought to care but we don't.
Why ought you to care what people think of you? Just be you and enjoy yourselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Sir Loin, my mom used to use oatmeal too and I think maybe that is what I'm looking for. Oatmeal has some gelatin like qualities. Something to absorb all the liquids and dry it all out. I shouldn't probably throw out the dishwater with the baby, just because momma was bizzarre, doesn't mean her recipes were bad.
The thing is, when you put things in that absorb the liquids - like the breadcrumbs - the liquids are still in there. You need to reduce the liquids or pour them out, like I mentioned.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #16
Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 53
Skip the catsup and tomato sauce, add it as a side sauce or glaze if you want. Use leaner meat, less bread crumbs and, add in small diced onions or bell peppers. You may want to ask DH if he would prefer you make a brown gravy with it rather than a tomato based sauce for it.

Bread holds fats and juices, so less of that, tomato is liquid, don't add that either. Stop thinking meatloaf and think hamburger patty loaf with flavorful veggie bits mixed in - that should suit him. Not a normal meatloaf but, some people like it that way. Myself included because I am used to venison and rabbit for my meats, that makes a drier, more like a hamburger patty type of meat loaf. I find the ones with catsup or tomato sauce in them mushy, too much like farina to be a good entrée for dinner - too soft.
BlueMoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,238
I use uncooked rolled oats instead of bread crumbs. Just enough to hold meat together.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #18
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,882
Use the Swedish meatball recipe, make into loaf and bake as you do. That is what I use.
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,018
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Use the Swedish meatball recipe, make into loaf and bake as you do. That is what I use.
Have you shared your Swedish meatball recipe?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #20
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,882
I do.. here
Swedish Meatballs
__________________

__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hamburger, meat, other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×