Meatloaf, anything new?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
y'all are serious! going to have to try some of these suggestions! `my meatloaf is boring as `jello`' though darling hubby likes the sandwiches afterwards..........thanks for the posts.........

Low Carb/Low Fat Meat Loaf

Ingredients:

1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 Tbs light olive oil
1½ cups tomato sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 egg
¼ cup egg substitute
1 pound 90% lean ground beef
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cup old fashioned oats
½ tsp Amoretti Garlic Oil Extract
½ tsp Amoretti Oregano Oil Extract

Instructions:

Sauté the onion, bell pepper, and celery in 2 Tbs of olive oil until they are soft, but not browned. Add the tomato sauce and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, and allow to cool. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat the oven to 375oF.

Whisk the egg, egg substitute, garlic oil extract and the oregano oil extract together in a large bowl. Combine the ground beef, ground turkey breast, and oats with the egg and mix thoroughly. Add ½ cup of the tomato sauce and combine the sauce with the meat mixture. Press the meat loaf mixture firmly into a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan, invert the loaf pan onto a broiler pan and remove the loaf pan. Bake the meat loaf in a 375oF oven for 1 hour. Slice the meatloaf into 8 servings and top each serving with 2 Tbs of tomato sauce.

Question for you SLB,
why do you use extract oil rather than dried or even fresh herbs?
a curious mind wants to know ... :chef:

Are they better than dried? I'm sure they're not as good as fresh but I can't get fresh all year long.

I used mint extract when I made Domathes because I couldn't find fresh mint. The extract was good but I don't now if it would have been better had I used fresh or dried.

A friend had bought a small bottle of garlic oil. I put a very tiny drop on my fingertip to see what it taste like.

Let me tell you folks, that stuff will blow your head off. :angel:

A friend had bought a small bottle of garlic oil. I put a very tiny drop on my fingertip to see what it taste like.

Let me tell you folks, that stuff will blow your head off. :angel:

There are many levels of this, but as far as "blowing your head off" with something you taste, try dipping the end of a tooth pick in pure capsaicin extract and just touching it to your tongue.:ohmy::wacko::D Once you recover, you will realize there is a very large distinction between "blow your head off" and "BLOW YOUR HEAD OFF"!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There are many levels of this, but as far as "blowing your head off" with something you taste, try dipping the end of a tooth pick in pure capsaicin extract and just touching it to your tongue.:ohmy::wacko::D Once you recover, you will realize there is a very large distinction between "blow your head off" and "BLOW YOUR HEAD OFF"!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The bottle had an opening whereby only drops came out. I tried just one drop. I didn't even ask her how many drops she uses for her Sunday Gravy.

Which would give off the stronger oil? Smaller cloves or the big ones? :angel:

you want to keep fire ants out of your mailbox? we had lots of rain in `houston and the fireants were using our mailbox as a sanctuary.......bringing their baby cocoons and all.......just put in some whole cloves or a cotton ball with whole clove oil on it.........they went running.......not an ant in sight the next day or forever after......for some reason ants hate the smell of cloves.......actually have put out cloves on counter tops to keep them away.......better than smelly pesticides......

Question for you SLB,
why do you use extract oil rather than dried or even fresh herbs?
a curious mind wants to know ... :chef:

Because the recipe was created for the company that makes the extacts. You may use fresh or dried herbs as desired.

Theses are not true extracts because there is no alcohol involved in creating them, which makes them much more potent than products that use alcohol to extract the flavor from the herbs and spices. The company provides a calculation formula to determine how much extract is be added.

Last edited:
Did anybody see that episode where Andrew Zimmern was in Paris and went to a restaurant where the chef makes his broths/flavor extracts using ONLY a freezing/thawing process? I'm pretty sure it was the "Paris Reborn" episode that was on a couple of days ago. We usually have the TV on as background noise whether we are watching or not but that segment of the episode caught my ear as he and the chef were talking about how lots of people no longer want the cream, butter, heavy, calorie laden sauces that were used in the past, but still want the tastes/flavors. I wish I could remember the name of the chef or the restaurant he was at but I can't, and haven't had any luck finding it with a quick search. It was pretty interesting. They were trying samples of each of the flavor extracts and Andrew seemed pretty impressed, even mentioning after he tried the mushroom one that he had been in the mushroom tunnels the day before and the taste of the extract was like being there.

Because the recipe was created for the company that makes the extacts. You may use fresh or dried herbs as desired.

Theses are not true extracts because there is no alcohol involved in creating them, which makes them much more potent than products that use alcohol to extract the flavor from the herbs and spices. The company provides a calculation formula to determine how much extract is be added.

Interesting SLB, mahalo, thank you for the explanation ... I just may look for those "oils".

img_1479876_0_71493ac3ce36ab9cb5aef393f7536314.jpg

Swedish meatloaf wrapped in bacon, made with the meatball recipe.

after thirty years of maraige..

my spuose told me last night 'your meatloaf is awfull.."

I understand that our tastes change over the years, and been making my meatlofe off the dry soup box for all these years..

should I add some horse radish or some thing..

Eric, Austin Tx.

Do you really want an honest answer? `i definitely would change recipes......maybe him :angel:.........or at least he should be more honest in the future.......`i've got a cookbook with at least 2 recipes that say `'not to cook ever again cause my hubby hated them......:angel:and `i have to admit they were pretty awful.......

Do you really want an honest answer? `i definitely would change recipes......maybe him :angel:.........or at least he should be more honest in the future.......`i've got a cookbook with at least 2 recipes that say `'not to cook ever again cause my hubby hated them......:angel:and `i have to admit they were pretty awful.......

I agree, change recipes. Be prepared to make several before you find one you both really like. Make smaller meatloafs by halving recipes so you don't waste as much.

If I have recipes that my SO hates, I throw them out rather than keep them with a note to never make them. The only exception to that rule is a recipe I really love and make occasionally for myself.

I agree, change recipes. Be prepared to make several before you find one you both really like. Make smaller meatloafs by halving recipes so you don't waste as much.

If I have recipes that my SO hates, I throw them out rather than keep them with a note to never make them. The only exception to that rule is a recipe I really love and make occasionally for myself.
\\
`i agree, Andy........the whole point of cooking is to please yourself and others.......if others are not happy with what you're making then it's time for an overhaul........`i made the same cornbread for years......it was good and then `i stumbled upon an awesome recipe.........will never go back.......but `i never would have done it without trying something new........risky but sometimes rewarding....:chef:

This canuck wants to know what "fatties" are...

Fatties are usually breakfast sausage rolls, like Jinny Dean's, that come in 1 lb tubes, flattened out into a square or rectangle, rolled back up around a stuffing mix (usually made with chilis and cheese) and wrapped in a bacon lattice. They get smoked, low and slow (225 F to 250 F). Some folks also use a BBQ rub before it gets bacon wrapped. If you are really into it, you can make your own sausage. I'm thinking a nice, spicy, homemade andouille, used as bulk.:yum: Maybe a little dirty rice or jambalaya as a side! Spicy creole sauce as a condiment. Some Abita beer to wash it down. Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Tarnation!!! your grill looks so clean!! or is it just new?

and that 'fattie' looks like a whole lot of awesomeness, not to mention a heart attack city!

Back
Top Bottom