"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 11-30-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Meatloaf recipes

Hi, I want to cook ( attempt to ) a meatloaf this weekend! I have never made one or eaten one. We don't have them over here! So this in mind... please would you give me your favourite/best meatloaf recipes!

I already know the smoked meatloaf one by Raniee as it's posted a few threads down! So that's at least one recipe I have :D lol

My photography, prose and poetry at Light of the moon :)
Leaf Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
i have never made the same meatloaf twice, so i don't have a true recipe. whatever veggies are about to go bad are sautee'd or softened in evoo and butter then tossed in with the ground beef, as well as tomato paste, browned onions, and grated horseradish... the way it turns out is always a surprise, usually a pleasant one...

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:03 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Just make sure you use more than one kind of minced meat - beeef, pork, veal, etc. Makes for a much more interesting dish.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:03 PM   #4
Master Chef
Here are two tried and true recipies, Leaf. The first, made with ground beef, has been in my family for 3 generations. Very basic, but very good. Great comfort food with mashed potatoes and a veggie. The second is one I came across several years ago and like for a healthier alternative--it has a great flavor, especially for this time of year. Let us know how you make out!

Grandma Johnson’s Meatloaf

2 lb ground round or extra-lean ground beef
2 eggs
1 ½ c breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
¾ c catsup
½ c warm water
1 packet Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix
1-8 oz can tomato sauce

Mix together all ingredients except for tomato sauce. Place in loaf pan. Pour 8 oz can of tomato sauce over top. Bake 1 hr. at 350F.

Serves 6

Turkey Meatloaf with Apples and Onions

1 tsp butter
2 c chopped, unpeeled Granny Smith apples
¾ c chopped onions
1 ½ lb lean ground turkey (skinless)
½ c quick-cooking rolled oats
½ c chopped fresh parsley
1/3 c skim milk
2 egg whites
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
¾ tsp dried marjoram
½ tsp ground sage
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350F.

Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add apples and onions. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until apples are tender. Let cool.

In a large bowl, mix together apples, onions, and all remaining ingredients.

Spray a 9x5” loaf pan with nonstick spray. Pat turkey mixture into pan. Bake for 1 hour or until no longer pink in center. Pour off any liquid from pan. Invert onto platter and serve.

Serves 6
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:09 PM   #5
Senior Cook
I have one from Julia Child, my favorite, heavy on the allspice and thyme I'll post later.
debthecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
Senior Cook
My recipe will not be exact but should give you a good idea just the same.

I use ground chuck only as I feel due to the fat content it has the most flavor (its what I use to make hamburgers)
The idea is to flavour the meat...
Approx 1 1/2 - 2lbs ground meat
1 egg mixed w/dijon mustard, worcesterchire sauce, approx 1/4c of buttermilk or plain yougart, salt and pepper
1 med onion sauted until soft
chopped garlic to taste sauted w/the onion.
bread crumbs enough to bind meat mixture together...approx 1/4c - 1/3c.
This entire mxture gets blended until combined..do not over mix..you know that the meatloaf is the right consistancy when it doesn't stick to the bowl or your hands.
I form a mound on a baking sheet..I dont use a loaf pan.
For the Topping...I mix some ketchup and brown sugar and paint the top...I sometimes put slices of bacon to cover the top as well.
Bake at 350 approx 50-55 min.
*the buttermilk or yougart will keep your meatloaf moist*
Once you get the idea of the consistency....the flavorings are entirely up to you....some people put a hard boiled egg in the center of the meat!
chez suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:43 PM   #7
Head Chef
If you are into a different spin on meatloaf try this version. This is something my mother used to make and it's full of flavor. Hope you try it and enjoy it.

Lean Ground Beef about 3 pounds
1 tbsp of freshly minced ginger
1 tsp of cayanne pepper
1 tsp of freshly roasted cumin powder
1 tsp of freshly roasted corrainder powder
1/4 cup of freshly chopped mint leaves
1/4 cup of freshly chopped cilantro leaves
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder
3 slices of white bread (soak it in water for about a minute, then squeeze out the water, crumbled the bread and add it to the meat)
3 eggs lightly beaten
1 medium yellow onion finely chopped

Stir all of this together, cover and let it marinate for an hour in the refrigerator.

Place in a 9X13 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 50 minutes until it's nice and golden on the top.

Remove, cut and serve with crusty bread and a salad.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #8
I just dug this one up. I like to make this for sammiches. It's great the day after with alittle sketti sauce and melted moz cheese on good bread or rolls.

1 egg
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
8 oz hot or mild italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper

In large bowl, beat egg lightly. Add ground beef, sausage, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, onion and bell pepper; mix well. Press into ungreased 9x5 loaf pan. Bake uncovered, in preheated moderate oven (350°F) for an hour. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over meat loaf. Bake for an additional 15 min or until no longer pink in center; drain. Let stand for 10 min before serving.
Juliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:30 PM   #9
Executive Chef
This is one I used to make at the 'gourmet' deli/catering outfit I worked at; folks bought it hot w/gravy, and also bought by the slice for sammies.

1/12 lbs. mix ground beef, veal and pork
¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/3 cup heavy cream
1T worchestershire sauce
½ tsp. cayenne
2 tsp. mushroom base*
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dry thyme
1T roast garlic 2T carmelized onions
¼ cup minced parsely

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine cream and crumbs, and let sit. Puree roast garlic and onion. Mix together egg, worchestershire, pureed garlic/’onion, salt, pepepr, thyme and mushroom base.

In large bowl, combine meat, crumbs and egg mixture; mix w/hands til well blended. Form into a loaf on an oiled baking sheet and bake at 350 for 1 hour or til thermometer reads 160. Let rest before cutting.

*If you don’t have mushroom base, add another tsp. of worchestershire
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:40 PM   #10
Senior Cook
Mrs. Kostyra's Meatloaf (Martha Stewart's Mother)

Serves 8 to 10

4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
2 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into eighths
2 garlic cloves
2 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 large egg
1 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar

1. Heat oven to 375°. Place bread in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade; pulse until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a medium bowl, and add ground beef.

2. Place onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and parsley in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade; pulse until fine. Add to meat mixture, using hands to mix well. Add egg, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, salt, and pepper; use hands to combine thoroughly. Place in an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch loaf pan.

3. Combine remaining 1/2 cup ketchup, remaining teaspoon dry mustard, and brown sugar in a bowl; stir until smooth.

4. Brush mixture over meat loaf; place in the oven with a baking pan set on the rack below to catch drippings. Cook until a meat thermometer inserted in the center reads 160°, about 90 minutes. If top gets too dark, cover with foil, and continue baking.

Good Luck!

wasabi woman is offline   Reply With Quote