Meatloaf recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leaf Storm

Senior Cook
Hi, I want to cook ( attempt to ) a meatloaf this weekend! I have never made one or eaten one. We don't have them over here! So this in mind... please would you give me your favourite/best meatloaf recipes!

I already know the smoked meatloaf one by Raniee as it's posted a few threads down! So that's at least one recipe I have :D lol

i have never made the same meatloaf twice, so i don't have a true recipe. whatever veggies are about to go bad are sautee'd or softened in evoo and butter then tossed in with the ground beef, as well as tomato paste, browned onions, and grated horseradish... the way it turns out is always a surprise, usually a pleasant one...

Here are two tried and true recipies, Leaf. The first, made with ground beef, has been in my family for 3 generations. Very basic, but very good. Great comfort food with mashed potatoes and a veggie. The second is one I came across several years ago and like for a healthier alternative--it has a great flavor, especially for this time of year. Let us know how you make out!

Grandma Johnson’s Meatloaf

2 lb ground round or extra-lean ground beef
2 eggs
1 ½ c breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
¾ c catsup
½ c warm water
1 packet Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix
1-8 oz can tomato sauce

Mix together all ingredients except for tomato sauce. Place in loaf pan. Pour 8 oz can of tomato sauce over top. Bake 1 hr. at 350F.

Serves 6

Turkey Meatloaf with Apples and Onions

1 tsp butter
2 c chopped, unpeeled Granny Smith apples
¾ c chopped onions
1 ½ lb lean ground turkey (skinless)
½ c quick-cooking rolled oats
½ c chopped fresh parsley
1/3 c skim milk
2 egg whites
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
¾ tsp dried marjoram
½ tsp ground sage
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350F.

Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add apples and onions. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until apples are tender. Let cool.

In a large bowl, mix together apples, onions, and all remaining ingredients.

Spray a 9x5” loaf pan with nonstick spray. Pat turkey mixture into pan. Bake for 1 hour or until no longer pink in center. Pour off any liquid from pan. Invert onto platter and serve.

Serves 6

My recipe will not be exact but should give you a good idea just the same.

I use ground chuck only as I feel due to the fat content it has the most flavor (its what I use to make hamburgers)
The idea is to flavour the meat...
Approx 1 1/2 - 2lbs ground meat
1 egg mixed w/dijon mustard, worcesterchire sauce, approx 1/4c of buttermilk or plain yougart, salt and pepper
1 med onion sauted until soft
chopped garlic to taste sauted w/the onion.
bread crumbs enough to bind meat mixture together...approx 1/4c - 1/3c.
This entire mxture gets blended until combined..do not over mix..you know that the meatloaf is the right consistancy when it doesn't stick to the bowl or your hands.
I form a mound on a baking sheet..I dont use a loaf pan.
For the Topping...I mix some ketchup and brown sugar and paint the top...I sometimes put slices of bacon to cover the top as well.
Bake at 350 approx 50-55 min.
*the buttermilk or yougart will keep your meatloaf moist*
Once you get the idea of the consistency....the flavorings are entirely up to you....some people put a hard boiled egg in the center of the meat!

If you are into a different spin on meatloaf try this version. This is something my mother used to make and it's full of flavor. Hope you try it and enjoy it.

Lean Ground Beef about 3 pounds
1 tbsp of freshly minced ginger
1 tsp of cayanne pepper
1 tsp of freshly roasted cumin powder
1 tsp of freshly roasted corrainder powder
1/4 cup of freshly chopped mint leaves
1/4 cup of freshly chopped cilantro leaves
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder
3 slices of white bread (soak it in water for about a minute, then squeeze out the water, crumbled the bread and add it to the meat)
3 eggs lightly beaten
1 medium yellow onion finely chopped

Stir all of this together, cover and let it marinate for an hour in the refrigerator.

Place in a 9X13 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 50 minutes until it's nice and golden on the top.

Remove, cut and serve with crusty bread and a salad.

I just dug this one up. I like to make this for sammiches. It's great the day after with alittle sketti sauce and melted moz cheese on good bread or rolls.

1 egg
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
8 oz hot or mild italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper

In large bowl, beat egg lightly. Add ground beef, sausage, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, onion and bell pepper; mix well. Press into ungreased 9x5 loaf pan. Bake uncovered, in preheated moderate oven (350°F) for an hour. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over meat loaf. Bake for an additional 15 min or until no longer pink in center; drain. Let stand for 10 min before serving.

This is one I used to make at the 'gourmet' deli/catering outfit I worked at; folks bought it hot w/gravy, and also bought by the slice for sammies.

MY MEATLOAF

1/12 lbs. mix ground beef, veal and pork
¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/3 cup heavy cream
1T worchestershire sauce
½ tsp. cayenne
2 tsp. mushroom base*
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dry thyme
1T roast garlic 2T carmelized onions
¼ cup minced parsely

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine cream and crumbs, and let sit. Puree roast garlic and onion. Mix together egg, worchestershire, pureed garlic/’onion, salt, pepepr, thyme and mushroom base.

In large bowl, combine meat, crumbs and egg mixture; mix w/hands til well blended. Form into a loaf on an oiled baking sheet and bake at 350 for 1 hour or til thermometer reads 160. Let rest before cutting.

*If you don’t have mushroom base, add another tsp. of worchestershire

Mrs. Kostyra's Meatloaf (Martha Stewart's Mother)

Serves 8 to 10

4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
2 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into eighths
2 garlic cloves
2 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 large egg
1 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar

1. Heat oven to 375°. Place bread in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade; pulse until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a medium bowl, and add ground beef.

2. Place onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and parsley in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade; pulse until fine. Add to meat mixture, using hands to mix well. Add egg, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, salt, and pepper; use hands to combine thoroughly. Place in an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch loaf pan.

3. Combine remaining 1/2 cup ketchup, remaining teaspoon dry mustard, and brown sugar in a bowl; stir until smooth.

4. Brush mixture over meat loaf; place in the oven with a baking pan set on the rack below to catch drippings. Cook until a meat thermometer inserted in the center reads 160°, about 90 minutes. If top gets too dark, cover with foil, and continue baking.

Good Luck!

Meat Loaf (Julia Child), (my favorite)

2 cups minced onion browned in 2 tbs oil
1 cup fresh white bread crumbs
2lbs ground lean beef
1 lb ground pork or turkey
1/2 cup beef bouillion
2 large eggs
2/3 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
1 tbs salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp oregano
3 bay leaves for top

Toss all together, form into a loaf shape on a buttered pan. Top with bay leaves. Bake 350 1 1/2 hours till juices run clear. Let cool 30 min, serve hot with salsa or tomato sauce or cool and wrap/refrigerate for a picnic.

I like my meatloaf with a lot of melted cheese.

2 cups fresh bread crumbs, dry will work
3/4 cup onion, minced
1/4 cup green pepper, minced
2 eggs
2 lbs. ground beef
2 T. horseradish sauce
2 1/2 t. salt
1 t. mustard
1/4 cup milk
1/4 catsup
16 slices american cheese

Beat eggs slightly. Add beef and other ingredients.

Layer with cheese in loaf pan ending with meat on top reserving enough cheese to cover top later. Bake 400 for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and top with cheese. Return to oven until cheese melts. Let stand a few minutes before cutting. I have also tried adding on top of the cheese ketchup 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup unpacked brown sugar.

Here's my meatloaf that I'm using right now, after trying many other versions. I like it very much, though I don't know as I'll stay with it; the jury isn't in yet. Definitely plan to increase the amount of thyme, a la Julia's recipe above. (I only recently discovered how abfab thyme is with beef.) Like chez sus, I paint the top with a ketchup glaze, but my glaze has a little vinegar added: 1/2 cup ketchup, 4 T brown sugar, and 4 T vinegar. I also apply half when it goes into the oven, and the other half when it's out of the oven and resting. I also omit the saltines, in the interest of carb-cutting.

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 cup milk
1 lb ground chuck
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground veal
2/3 cup crushed saltine crackers, about 16
1/3 cup minced parsley

For the glaze, mix all ingredients in small pan, set
aside. For the meatloaf, heat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil in medium skillet. Add onion and garlic;
sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside to
cool. Mix eggs with salt, pepper, thyme, mustard,
Worcestershire sauce, and milk. Add to meat in large
bowl along with crackers, parsley and cooked onion and
garlic.

Mix with fork until evenly blended and mixture doesn't
stick to the bowl. If it sticks add milk. With wet
hands, pat mixture into 9x5-inch loaf shape. Place in
foil lined baking pan for easy clean up. Brush with
half the glaze. Bake until crisp, about 1 hour. Cool
at least 20 minutes and serve with the remaining
glaze.

Catseye..looks like we used the same source for our meatloaf, for some reason I omit the vinegar on the topping..not even sure why...

Back
Top Bottom