Meatloaf too salty - Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sliced thinly on some fresh baked bread with unsalted butter and some English mustard.

oh man, yt. i love meatloaf and mustard sandwiches like that. add some raw onion to mine.

gb, my first though was to add a starch, like potatoes or rice to cut the salt.

you could mash it with the flesh of baked potatoes, then stuff it back into the skins and make a double baked thing.

or chop it and mix with rice, then stuff it into green bell peppers.

I'd combine it with dairy in an effort to counteract the salt.

I'd probably chop it up and try to make it into beef stroganoff.

IMO you really can't use it as if it were regular ground beef because it's already too salty. It really won't leach out the salt into a sauce. It needs to be combined or counteracted.

Meatloaf and meatballs are hard to season properly because you can't really season by tasting unless you eat the raw meat.

You need a TnT recipe with accurate measurements.

Good for her for trying! The ATK mac and cheese recipe might be another one for her to try.

Last edited:
So many good suggestions. I think Bucky has talked me into doing a twice baked sort of thing. I will (probably) bake some potatoes and chop up the meat and mix it all together with a little cheddar. I will then stuff the skins and bake them again. I will serve with a side of sting beans.

Thank you everyone for all the ideas. There was not a bad one in the bunch. Keep em coming as there might be enough meat for me to make two different dishes :)

...Thank you everyone for all the ideas. There was not a bad one in the bunch. Keep em coming as there might be enough meat for me to make two different dishes :)

With all these good ideas, you may want to make another salty meatloaf to try them out.:angel:

Make cheeseburgers using sliced meatloaf. All the junk on there and the bread will dilute the saltiness.

Obviously do not add salt:

Brown gravy for open faced sammies with a layer of mashed potatoes
Nachos or chili

yesssssss!

i win!!! i win!!!

[[{{{<<< doing victory dance >>>}}}]]

:):):):):)

actually, i was thinking to avoid bread and cheese as they are salty. but a little cheddar never hurts. maybe a little sauteed shallots, too.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the cheese Bucky, but I figure with all the potato I should be OK (I hope). Maybe I will make a test one first to see how it works with the cheese and if it is still too salty I will leave it out of the rest.

If you are a sour cream eater, I still vote for that to offset the salt. Would be good in the tater.
Unfortunately, I am not. i agree that would have been perfect for this problem. I wish I liked it, but it is just not something I can eat :(

I forgot to give an update.

I used Bucky's suggestion. I chopped the meatloaf up as fine as I could. I then baked some potatoes and when they were cooked I cut them in half and scooped out the flesh. I mixed the meat and potatoes together with a touch of shredded cheese. This mixture was then spooned back into the potato skins. I over filled them so there was a mound on top of each skin about double the size of the half, so it looked about the size of the potato when it was whole. These then went back into the oven for about 10 minutes. They came out great! The salt from the meatloaf and cheese was just right to season the salt-less potatoes. I am very happy we were able to save the meatloaf that my wife worked so hard to make.

may i have one, please? :)
that does sound good. i'll have to try it the next time we have meatloaf leftovers.

gb, your wife learned 2 good cooking lessons: to be careful adding salt, and how to rescue a meal.

That's good to hear GB but don't be giving Bucktom a cape or anything, it might all go to his head!

darn, i was hoping for a cape. a potato doesn't look good tied around my neck.

i tried tying one to my utility belt, but that didn't look right either...

Back
Top Bottom